THR I think waiting was the worst part!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldie, first of all...if you are working all day, that IS physical therapy! Cut out everything else except work. No housework, no errands, no exercise for now. Someone should make dinner for you. Just go to work, then come home and rest. REALLY rest.

Is there any possibility of working part-time for a couple weeks? Either reduced daily hours, or reduced number of days?

Sharon
 
I'm sorry you have to go back to work. I would say, work lightly, tell people at work what you're going through, carry Tylenol with you (if you can take it) and take 500 mg if you're at work. If you're home, you can take 2 of them every 7 hours. It works for me. Keep the pT. It should be your priority. But main recommendation:don't over do it.
Keep the icy handy when you get home. Lay down, call your friends and get sympathy from them.
Like you, I also fainted after the surgery. Couldn't go to the bathroom for several days.
Lumiere
 
Since you need to work, give up the physical therapy and pool exercises. They really aren't necessary after THR and, with all of your regular activity at work, you do risk angering your new hip. Try to delegate housework and cooking, if you can. Rest with your feet up as much as possible. If you find that you're too tired to stay awake in the evening, just go to bed. Sleep is when your body does its best healing.

Don't feel discouraged. This is a phase in your recovery. It's not forever.
 
I don't agree with our hippes who recommend you to give up PT or water exercises. No exercising could produce a heterotopic osseus formation for lack of exercise. It happened to me because I fainted the first days of the surgery and couldn't stand up. When the PTist started with the exercises, she was really hard, so my surgeon stopped her and let her do only gentle PT. Now my body is creating heterotopic osseus formation (HO) that hurts when I try to walk. Go slow at work. Don't over do it, and ask your friends to help you with the meals and housework.
Lumiere

#heterotopicossification
 
Heterotopic ossification is an unfortunate condition, but it is no less common in the US, where outpatient PT is routinely prescribed after THR, as it is in the rest of the world, where PT is rarely prescribed. If PT exercises were preventative for HO, doesn't it seem like the rest of the world would have caught onto that? In fact, their outcomes are every bit as good as those in the US. They may even be better, as fewer people risk injury at the hands of overly enthusiastic physical therapists.

The best form of physical therapy for hips is walking. Not leg lifts. Not clamshells. Not pool exercises. Just plain, old walking. Anyone who is working a full-time job (even a relatively sedentary one) in the early months after THR is getting more than enough physical activity. The goal here is to avoid potential setbacks in recovery due to overdoing. More exercise is not helpful and may even be detrimental.
 
Lumiere My father had heterotopic ossification as an unfortunate byproduct of his hip replacements. I worried about whether that would put me more at risk for it as well, so I did quite a bit of reading and research before my THRs. Mostly it's still unknown what causes HO, although some people are more at risk than others. Trauma...including surgical trauma...is a known risk factor, along with several diseases like rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, or ankylosing spondylitis as examples. I simply can't find any research that suggests that lack of physical therapy causes this condition; in fact, there is some controversy about whether certain kinds of PT contribute to the abnormal bone formation. I do not understand why you think having gentle PT instead of hard PT is the cause of your HO. It sounds to me like your surgeon did you a big favor...we have many hippies who tell sad tales about overzealous PT in the early recovery days. HO can begin to form just two weeks after surgery....many people don't even begin their PT until this point or later in their recovery.

At this point, Goldie is only 8 weeks along in her recovery, and is struggling to have the stamina to return to work. In a couple more months, it will all be much easier on her, and she can return to PT and/or water exercises when she is ready...and if she even needs it then. If she is walking without pain, and with a healthy gait, then she won't need PT. Right now, she needs as much solid rest as she can possibly get.

It's evident though that recovery is often not a straight-forward, simple process. There are a bunch of twists and turns most of us have to contend with, and everyone's story is unique. Most of the time, there is a happy ending. I hope both you and Goldie have that.


Sharon
 
Thanks everyone, so much.
Where to begin.... After eight weeks with a very positive attitude and enough energy for daily functions, I have crashed and burned. Was it the relocating to cottage? Maybe a little
Was it the people coming to help move the cottage and help me with laundry and meals? I don't think so but can see how it may have impeded the odd nap.
Is it working 9-5? I believe it is. I am just doing light office work. Nonetheless, I have hit rock bottom. I left work today and not returning til Monday. Gives me some time to reevaluate things. I am emotionally, physically and mentally drained.
I believe that post operative depression happens, it happened after my surgery last August too.... But it was relatively soon after (not almost eight-nine weeks after!!
Anyone know when it's normal to experience this?
I'm trying to stop taking Percocet (down to 3 a day from six) mixing in Tylenol and ibuprofen.
I am ahead of where I should be at physio which is good, just started weight bearing and resistance exercises. Going to PT twice a week. Massage therapy once a week alternating neck and back to my hip and legs front and back. Hit the pool twice this week but monitor physio exercises based on pain levels. My gait is not a healthy one ....
Would love to hear from my hippies regarding any of this! I am feeling a emotional release after a good cry.
Why is it that society has unrealistic expectations from us???
 
sharonslp
There may be an opportunity to reduce my hours... Will have to think of all my options.
I'm out of time off, out of sick time thanks to my surgery last year...and we don't have long or short term disability.
 
Thanks everyone, so much.
Where to begin.... After eight weeks with a very positive attitude and enough energy for daily functions, I have crashed and burned. Was it the relocating to cottage? Maybe a little
Was it the people coming to help move the cottage and help me with laundry and meals? I don't think so but can see how it may have impeded the odd nap.
Is it working 9-5? I believe it is. I am just doing light office work. Nonetheless, I have hit rock bottom. I left work today and not returning til Monday. Gives me some time to reevaluate things. I am emotionally, physically and mentally drained.
I believe that post operative depression happens, it happened after my surgery last August too.... But it was relatively soon after (not almost eight-nine weeks after!!
Anyone know when it's normal to experience this?
I'm trying to stop taking Percocet (down to 3 a day from six) mixing in Tylenol and ibuprofen.
I am ahead of where I should be at physio which is good, just started weight bearing and resistance exercises. Going to PT twice a week. Massage therapy once a week alternating neck and back to my hip and legs front and back. Hit the pool twice this week but monitor physio exercises based on pain levels. My gait is not a healthy one ....
Would love to hear from my hippies regarding any of this! I am feeling a emotional release after a good cry.
Why is it that society has unrealistic expectations from us???

Any advice? Feeling sad and frustrated.... What a process !
 
B4goldie I am sorry you at having a rough time. There is no doubt post op depression was/is very real for me and it is tough.
You are doing a lot and as I keep reading in these thread patience and rest, patience and rest. It is challenging to find both but it may be what you need. Maybe ease off pt a bit, the weights sound scary to me... Our surgery date were pretty close, o will follow your posts and see if I can help support the journey in any way
 
YogaGirl thank you! I have slowed everything down. Taking a day at a time. Going to work tomorrow to see my options.
 
B4Goldie,
I"m sorry you've been feeling so miserable. I would say, this moods come and go. I have passed a year of the surgery and I know my life will never be like before because my surgery didn't go well. I went back to work three weeks ago and last Friday I over did it. When I over do it, I get really depressed, so I suggest that you try to rest as much as possible. If I have pain, for me, plain Tylenol is enough. If I think 500 mg won't be enough, I take 1000 but the main thing is to rest so life can better the following day. Also if you can talk to your friends about how you feel, it might help a lot. They have not gone thru all this we hippies have but at least friends can start imagining how it's like. We need to think about this as a new beginning of our life and the new tomorrow every day. I still go to PT twice a week and exercise in the water 6 times a week. Hope no one in this forum has to go thru what I have gone thru. However, there's life to live, friends to spend time with, family to worry about, and new beginnings every single day. Do you have a possibility to talk to a counselor about your moods?
Lumiere
 
B4Goldie, if you are still doing all that PT and exercise plus a return to work you may have a long road to gaining energy. No wonder you are feeling down - you are exhausted my friend. You need to give your body a chance to adjust to a work schedule. Once you have your energy back you can go back to PT or exercise. As Sharon suggested, cut back to the essential activities and work up.
 
Sharon,
Sorry I had not get back to you. I went back to work and it has been overwhelming.

Obviously you know more about HO than I do. What I said was based on what my physical therapist said to me that may be the reason why I didn't have hip flexibility was because I was not able to do aggressive PT after the surgery. The first week, I would faint when I would sit down in the bed. Then, I moved to a nursing home, and sometimes I almost fainted again or I would be in extreme pain after PT so the OS told the PTist to do only light exercises.
 
Lumiere I suspect what we both know about HO could fit in a teaspoon. There's way more NOT known yet, which is part of the problem. But I do know this: NO ONE should be able to do aggressive PT right after surgery!! It would only cause far more problems. Could I suggest that you post about your current problems on your own thread, and let's get a discussion going there and solicit some other opinions and ideas for you, so we don't derail Goldie's thread? I'm very concerned that you are still having so much difficulty. But it's your surgeon who would diagnose HO....not your PT. The PT is simply off base with that one. So it's likely that something else entirely is going on.

Goldie, I'm going to be my broken record self here. Your feelings of depression sound pretty normal for someone who had major surgery nine weeks ago and is now burned out with the attempt to return to work full-time. If you can't get more time off from work, then cancel EVERYTHING else. Go to work, then come immediately home, put your feet up, and rest till breakfast. Every day until you get some stamina back....which you will if you let your body heal. And if your pain levels are still uncomfortably high, are you taking an effective schedule of tylenol and ibuprofen....that means enough of it on a CONSISTENT schedule. Have you read these articles from the library yet?
Medications: Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail
Medications: NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers

You really will get beyond this, but you have to help it happen. :)

Sharon
 
B4goldie I agree with Sharon. For only being around 9 weeks you are doing way to much and not giving your body a chance to heal. I do believe in PT, but know that you are back to work there really is no need for it. If the water makes you feel good maybe try it on the weekend. Walking is great for the hip and your gait. In a couple of weeks I will reach my 6 month mark. I am still seeing improvement every couple of weeks (that is when I seem to notice them). Here is an example, I realized this afternoon that while sitting I can bring my knee almost to my chest. Wishing all the best in your recovery!
 
sharonslp
Liveringer
Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement. I truly appreciate it. Thank you for helping me realize. I have had two breakdowns and am holding on by a thread. I am lightening things up at work and now realize how long I will be before I return to my shift work. When do people normally return? I work 24hour shifts. Any suggestions? I see now that I must be able to do a 10 hour day first tho. Why does these depressing feelings happen? I was doing so well! It was incredible!! Now my husband wonders "what's wrong" and doesn't get it!? Any advice please?
I am one strong girl after all I've been through in my life, strongest girl some people know. I'm a fighter who finds the positive in any situation ....
 
Goldie, maybe the problem is that you are a "fighter" and you're fighting this by trying to be strong. But you aren't strong right now, and you're fighting that! We do see lots of hippies...of ALL ages....who think that the best way to regain their full strength and abilities is to work "hard" at recovery.....by moving, exercising, beating the benchmarks, returning to their normal lives just as quick as they can. Trouble is, most of us can't do it as fast as we wish. Working "smart" at recovery means taking a hiatus from work of all kinds. It means lying around for the first three weeks or so and just getting up to go to the bathroom, pop a meal into the microwave, do a few exercises, and take a short walk outside...like to the mailbox, or end of the driveway (assuming you don't live on a grand estate!). Then it means doing a few more exercises, taking slightly longer walks, maybe meeting a friend for coffee for half an hour. Then it means continuing the exercises (not necessarily PT), taking slightly longer walks, and meeting a friend for lunch. Around 6 weeks to 2 months, it means driving, short shopping trips (SHORT), feeling bored to tears because you'd really like to be doing more. So you start to do more.....a long shopping trip. You overdo, realize it, and retreat for several days. No harm done.

But when you go back to work, you don't have that luxury of retreating for a few days. In an ideal world, everyone would have the luxury of AT LEAST 12 weeks before they had to return. Are some people ready sooner? Sure. But no one can really count on it. Everyone does what they have to do, but if you have to work, then something else has to give. Those depressed feelings....you're just plain wiped out, and you're fighting feeling that way. But for now, fighting has to mean NOT fighting. If you need to get your husband on board with that, just let him read this thread. It should help clarify what is happening to you.

A month of serious down-time for you now will pay off big time later on.
Some more reading:
Phased return to work
Healing: how long does it take?
Energy drain for THRs

Sharon
 
Hi, B4goldie. I saw your thread earlier, then lost it and was so upset i couldn't find it. I wanted to just chime in and let you know I understand I think some of what you're going through. I have a desk job and had to go back full time, no phased recovery, right at six weeks, literally on the heels of getting the restrictions lifted from my OS. I HAD to hang on to this job and do it well or well enough to stay employed there. I was advised many times to march in to my employer and insist I would not come back for months, but that just wasn't reality and it wasn't a battle I could wage. You know, the old "pick your battles" thing really applied. So much of what sharonslp has said here (and other places) is what I have felt, almost to the actual wording. Working smarter rather than "hard" at recovery. But as you yourself said elsewhere, society has such unrealistic expectations for us. Golly is that true. Golly is that true! I was dogged by these expectations from the second I announced at work I was going to do the surgery.

I think too that in some countries, certainly in the U.S., in general, PT is sacrosanct. Because where else does one go when they have a physical problem? A physical therapist. And if you complain about a PT hurting you, then you are told, "Well, no pain, no gain." It's just absurd. I have thought all along that a person recovering from this surgery is different from someone who has pulled a muscle doing some sports thing. But it's the same mentality: harder harder harder! push push push. It's became a definition of one's character if they don't say, "How high?" when a PT says jump.
The others here have given you really good advice, commonsensical advice. Your work, and getting to and from work, is more than enough PT. And rest when you aren't at work. I've had to make my concessions, too, cutting back. Whatever Martha Stewart impulses reside in me (and there aren't too many anymore and weren't that many to begin with) have gone dormant.

Just please know that you are not alone and what you are feeling and going through is not strange or weird. The sad thing is, only other hippies really get it. But that doesn't mean it's not valid.

Oh, and don't beat yourself up about the whole "positive' thing. (I think the whole "be positive!" thing is highly overrated.... I realize I am alone in this, but anyway.... ) We can't be expected to feel positive all the time about every thing. But that doesn't mean we are quitters or otherwise lacking in character. It just means we are human, and sometimes tired and in pain and unsure about things. I think persisting in feeling that we must be positive at all times is a HUGE unnecessary burden. I'm not advocating being negative, either. Anyway.

Again, please know you are not alone in what you are feeling. Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom