THR I think waiting was the worst part!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find there's a pulling sensation from staples / muscles when I lay on my unoperated side.
 
B4goldie as far as sleep positions, I found that if I put a big pillow on my operated side I would bend my knee and lean it against the pillow. This would support my leg and for some reason this was the. Only way I could get some relief from the discomfort of always laying flat out. Later on, I could shift myself to sort of lay on my side but I wouldn't roll so far that I was on my stitches. Maybe it will help.
Glad to hear that you are healing well and hope that you can get your pain under control. I was on Percoset and Tylenol 3 for the first weeks and then I switched to just Extra Strength Tylenol which seemed to work well. I did make sure to take my meds on time though, otherwise I was just in too much pain.
I am from Canada also and so no visits from in home physio for me Either. Thank heavens for a guide that my doctor had given me so I just did all the exercises on my own. At 6 weeks I progressed to level 2 physio in my book but now I searched for exercises on the Internet and devised my own program plus some yoga instruction.
Wishing you speeding healing.
 
Hi molly! Thank you for your insight. Again MUCH appreciated! It's AmAZinG how the slightest detail hits home with me. Thanks for sharing. I am still taking two percocet every four hours but started to add the tylenol in like they did at the hospital...because it seemed as tho I couldn't get relief with just the percocet. I honestly can't wait until I 'forgetI to take it' because I don't need it :)
 
I know everyone is different but what's the Average time length before we can ditch these darn opiods (tho they've seriously helped) we need to end our friendship ..... thanks in advance :)
 
Goldie, I don't know if there's a specific average. Some people stop before they should....and then complain about pain....so that would skewer any attempt to determine an average. And some folks have doctors who are so worried about prescribing the opiates that they get cut off way too early as well. So forget averages.

I can tell you that many hippies are on them for the first 4 weeks for sure, and then tapering off seems to be in order. For me, I started with an opiate (Vicodin) PLUS a non-narcotic (tramadol) which I alternated with. By around 3 weeks, I was starting to increase the tramadol as I cut back on the vicodin. By 6 weeks or so, I was using the vicodin just at night, and the tramadol plus tylenol got me through the days. After two months or so, no more vicodin.

That was me. You'll hear all kinds of variations on this. The important thing is to listen to YOUR body. And....end your friendship GRADUALLY. Don't just stop taking your opiate....try cutting back on the amount or try stretching out the time between doses. Give this change two days or so before you tweak it again. See if your body is fine with the change. If you cut it down or out too suddenly, and then have significantly increased pain, it is harder to get it back under control.

But you are just 10 days out....way early to worry about still being on the opiates. They are your friend. Have you read these articles? See what you think.

Pain management and the pain chart
Pain management: the multimodal approach
Weaning off pain medication
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Sharon
 
Thanks so much sharonslp very MUCH appreciated :) And I have some afternoon reading to do. Perfect!!
 
B4goldie, Even though I'm feeling stronger -- improvements like finding it much easier to get up and sit down, get in and out of bed, etc., I still don't feel safe or comfortable using the cane. I feel so much more balanced, safe, and protected with the walker. I don't have any "ego" or cosmetic concerns about using the walker, although many people really resist it. The cane feels like nothing to me. My PT really supported my feelings about this. She said that many people go directly from the walker to no supports without using the cane in between. She agreed that moving to a cane is a huge step, and that when I am ready to walk with fewer or no supports I will know it because of the way my body feels. I have released myself from any pressure to let go of the walker. It hasn't been two weeks yet, and it is going to take the length of time it takes. This is not a race or competition. I can see so many other signs of improvement, and each one comes in its own time. Stay confident and be peaceful!
 
BeckyR Good for you! I feel exactly the same as you with respect to the walker. Actually I think my cane is still out in the truck!! I assumed I would use the walker until my four week post op, I haven't been told any different. PT at the hospital said to do what's comfortable. I won't see anymore PT until then. So I am doing my home program. And once I can get outside and be strong enough to walk, then I plan on using the walked more in case I tire, then I can sit. I resisted the walker last time and now regret it. It is much better than those crutches.!!
Ha! Wouldn't that be grand if we could just carry on without a cane ;) All the best to you!
 
I find there's a pulling sensation from staples / muscles when I lay on my unoperated side.
B4goldie I know this is an older post but I was so excited to see that someone else feels the same thing. I just had to answer. When I see someone else feel/felt the very same thing I don't feel so alone. Even before the surgery I couldn't lie on the 'good' side because the pulling/strain on my bad hip hurt too much.
It sounds like you were doing wonderfully and I hope that is the same for you now :)
 
Hello Everyone!!!!!! I apologize for my absence. We bought a cottage before my surgery and finally took possession of it. No Internet and very weak cell signal. So I have been preoccupied with the wonderful life here!! I am doing well!! I saw my surgeon on August 13 at 41/2 weeks post op. He said my new hip Oscar, is perfect! I am walking!!!! unassisted!!!! He lifted all precautions, said I could drive and start outpatient physio. I am starting today!!! At six weeks post op, I am feeling pretty good. I don't always listen to my body and keep pushing myself... It's my nature! But really, everyone can't believe how well I doing!!! Maybe it has something to do with cottage life?? I'm looking forward to starting physio today. As much as I detest those exercises lol! I will work hard so when I see my surgeon in November he will feel proud! I am returning to work a week today, Sept 3 (yikes) on modified duties. I work for the fire department so the shift work would be detrimental now. I hope everyone else is recovering well ... Again I apologize for my absence. Thank you to all who care!!
 
B4goldie... Honey, you don't have to work hard for your OS to be proud of you... Slow and steady will work just as well :)

I so enjoyed reading about your new real estate purchase and that you are enjoying your new way of life - good for you :)
 
Poppet I know I am doing it for myself :). ... Lol I guess I failed to mention my chats with my surgeon and how much we both are excited that this has relieved my pain since the failed FAI surgery last summer. Truly a roller coaster ride this past year has been!
Thank you for your interest in the cottage (we almost didn't get) after many many weeks of non closure on our deal! Another story, but everything happens for a reason. We just gotta ride the wave and see how things turn out !
Very positive note!! Went for my physio assessment this am and I am ahead in my progress! So all the physio in the past year has paid off!
So so so happy!! Love living with my new hip !! Can't believe how afraid I was ... Waiting truly was the worst part!
 
Hi B4goldie sounds like you are doing great! Good for you! The cottage sounds great, and I hope you keep on keeping on :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Everyone!!!!!! I apologize for my absence. We bought a cottage before my surgery and finally took possession of it. No Internet and very weak cell signal. So I have been preoccupied with the wonderful life here!! I am doing well!! I saw my surgeon on August 13 at 41/2 weeks post op. He said my new hip Oscar, is perfect! I am walking!!!! unassisted!!!! He lifted all precautions, said I could drive and start outpatient physio. I am starting today!!! At six weeks post op, I am feeling pretty good. I don't always listen to my body and keep pushing myself... It's my nature! But really, everyone can't believe how well I doing!!! Maybe it has something to do with cottage life?? I'm looking forward to starting physio today. As much as I detest those exercises lol! I will work hard so when I see my surgeon in November he will feel proud! I am returning to work a week today, Sept 3 (yikes) on modified duties. I work for the fire department so the shift work would be detrimental now. I hope everyone else is recovering well ... Again I apologize for my absence. Thank you to all who care!!
 
Glad you're doing well and returning to work. I went back to work after a year!! My surgery didn't go well and the recovery has been very slow bec my hip was fused for 45 years, so I wished I could go back to normal life like all of you who had a "normal" hip to start with before the surgery. Keep the PT up but don't let the PTist do as much as he wants. You don't need to be in pain afterwards. You should be able to do things. I had a PTist who worked me so hard that I had to lay down for the next 4 days. I also get migraines when the exercise is too stronge, so I'm trying to keep an eye on how much he pushes me.
 
Thanks everyone!!
Well I had to return to work at seven weeks post op, much to my dismay. They are being fantastic here and helping me thru it!
While i am thankful, I can't help struggle. I'm exhausted and not sure how to get thru this? Any tips?
 
FYI
I am a fire dispatcher normally working shift work and put on Mon to Fri. I am so glad I don't have to work nights but it is equally exhausting working straight days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think I'm just not quite ready for this.... That being said how do I protect myself from further damage or longer recovery?
I reflected on last week and though Jeesh....first couple days i was full of spunk and ready to take on the world. I am not getting the same rest or down time that I was previously. By the time Thursday and Friday came, it was all I could do to make some dinner for my family then I had to lay down. I was so tired. I am usually hitting the sack (for sleep) not rest around 9-9:30. I always wake in the night between 3:50am and 4:05 am. I take another pain pill then because I am sore. I am doing PT everyday but with my therapist twice a week. Massage therapy once a week and getting the pool for therapy whenever I am able to. Some days I am actually not wanting to do physio because I am too tired.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Everyone keeps saying don't overdue it, like they see what I can't see. And that I know my own body, yet society determines when we are "ready" so frustrating :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom