Guest viewing is limited

THR I made it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing well @Medfordart

I am doing great with new right hip but the left is holding me back. I never thought I'd say this but I can't wait to get the other one done and be able to move much more. I still have a terrible limp but don't think that is going to improve until both are done. I finished my last PT yesterday so am on my own now. I will miss the treadmill and weight machines. I had a great PT and hope to have her next time. I now only use my cane when I go out somewhere. Driving on my own which is great!! I can't walk far with bad hip but am going to try to go out to stores with carts and walk a few times a week. I am so grateful to be able to sleep on my side again and actually sleep. I could not sleep the first 4 weeks but now go to bed early because I am so tired.

I hope your pains get better.

Yes you will fine with stairs @CricketHip. It was actually easy. Our surgeries are coming quickly
 
Hi @Doodles51
I can't imagine having the bad hip to contend with while trying to build up the new hip.. you have done really well with your progress!!
I can't wait to have all of us comparing notes and posting our progress towards the end of September!
 
Doodles51. Sounds like we are still on the same track. My left hip hasn't been too bad ....YET! I go to the OS this week. I will probably set up the next surgery...now thinking Spring. I love walking outside and I think that helps my recovery.
 
Having my 6 week check up tomorrow ( actually almost 7). I am doing well. Still limping, still having trouble climbing my stairs..but all is getting better. I have been doing PT three times a week...getting very strong. As the hip is getting calmer, the left hip is becoming more noticeable. I need to have it replaced also. I would like to set up that operation date tomorrow, but don't know when to schedule. I originally thought early December...but the weather here in NJ is rough in the winter...should I try and wait until March? Any thoughts would be appreciated
 
Hellooo Medfordart! Glad to hear that you are progressing and so sad to hear that the left hip is talking to you.
Obviously I am no help in your decision making since I've yet to get my hip replaced.. seems like it's been forever, waiting my turn. the only concern that I have would be if you wait until March and the left hip gets unbearable before then? I've seen several posts on here about getting both hips replaced in rapid succession but can't think of any of the screen names to refer you to. One was the pilot.. jetlag? I think he did his fairly close together and had a couple rough weeks, but his were like 6 weeks apart?
Its good to see you on here. :flwrysmile: Oh! One other thought, how does your health insurance work? If you have a high deductible or other considerations before the end of the year?
 
I have great insurance. Only co pays. Retirement plan plus Medicare.

Hope you are keeping yourself occupied. These are the most stressful times.

I guess I will just discuss with OS tomorrow about when to schedule. The PT said I could use leftover PT allowances and then they restart in January. I just hate recovering in the winter...I would like to go away, but I need this all behind me!
 
Totally agree! I initially wanted to wait until December or January when business is slower but then decided I wanted better weather, too.
yes, time is going by quickly now. Lots to organize, still!
 
Hello Medfordart, sorry about the time lapse...you have done well, I am not driving yet, they say in the UK six weeks, so that will be next week for me...and wow you had got rid by the 2nd week!!! that's amazing... last week we got the toilet risers and toilets surrounds packed away to which I was very thankful, made the house look like old peoples home!! very grateful for them though in the first few weeks.
How much walking per day are you walking? I am doing ok, in the house I don't always use the crutch, but I do limp which I am hoping I won't always have this, we don't have much follow up here, but the OT did ring and say that I could go for some PT if I felt I needed it, I don't know how long to wait to see if the limp improves by itself...
so pleased for your good recovery, it is SO good to be the other side...do you get any discomfort still in your leg? in the evenings I sometimes get a restless achy leg, which a paracetamol normally would deal with...
look forward to hearing from you...:flwrysmile:
 
Great to hear from you @lexi-mai. Each OS is different. I was in outpatient PT within days. I have been going three times a week for about an hour and half . It has been a lot of hard work, but my muscles are getting so much stronger. The limp has really improved, but is there. I am real stiff when I sit for a while. Yes, I seem to have trouble finding a good place to sit...but is improving. Stairs are my hardest...but improving.
I love to walk. PT makes me so tired, but on the off days I at least try to walk the block or more. I did a 2 mile walk on Monday. It felt good, but the unoperated hip started bothering me.
I hope that my restrictions are gone today. I also hope that I can swim!
I haven't taken away the toilet...I think today is the day! Everything else has been put away.
We did this!!
 
Hi @Medfordart, So happy to hear you are progressing so nicely! 2 miles seems like a LOT to walk! I have a question about walking steps-do you use a crutch or a cane, and are you walking them reciprocally? I'm 2 weeks out now, still using a crutch and walking one at a time, but the steps in my house are steep and slippery (I should have had a runner put on them years ago, when we have company some people are afraid of going up and down our steps).
I wish my doc would let me drive but he is conservative. I will see him for post-op one month from surgery to find out if I can drive. I'll be driving the Prius because the gas and break are more easier to manage than our newer car. Take care! Glad you are doing so well!
 
Hi LaylaHips. I have been walking without anything since a week and a half from surgery. My 2 mile walk was in my neighborhood which consists of high hills. I usually walk five a day..so I have to build up to that. I did stop and stretch a few weeks imes. I started driving at week 3. Test your ability in your driveway or street first and definitely wait until your doctor clears you. I am starting to drive further distances each week and feeling comfortable.

Today I had my check up. It went great! He was real happy with my progress. He said I was very flexible and was cleared from all of my restrictions and physical therapy....woohoo. I am cleared to swim and go back to the gym!
We did not schedule my left hip....going to see how it progresses as the right gets stronger. If the pain gets worse, it will be scheduled. I am extremely happy.
He is not worried about my slight limp and the difficulty with the stairs. He insured me it will be better.

Celebration time!!!!
 
Glad you had a good check up and that you do not need your other hip replaced at this time. I feel like I am falling behind with my bad left hip and can't wait for it to be replaced so I can really get moving. Do you know the cause of the limp? Mine is really bad, but I'm hoping from the left and not new hip.
 
Hi Doodles51! I think the cause of the limp is weak glute muscles...but it is improving so much lately. OS was not concerned at all about the limp or the trouble climbing the stairs...everything is really improving. I love having the restrictions lifted...starting to bend and sleep better! Put that big toilet seat away today!!!
I took another 2 mile walk today. The left hip is a problem, but not holding me back. Soon you will have that other hip gone and ready to enjoy life! Please stay in touch!
 
Hi Medfordart! What a great report! :dancy: bye bye toilet seat riser!
 
@Medfordart can you refresh my memory, what approach was your THR?
 
Posterior but minimal....incision only 3 1/2 inches. Please stay in touch CricketHip...thinking of you! The Pope visit hopefully will not effect your hospital stay? I am going to leave town during that time, and go up to my daughter's. I will stay in touch with you! Hang in there...you are at the hardest time of the whole thing.
By the way...I am rapidly improving now...hardly have the limp. Stairs are getting better. LOVE being able to bend pass 90 degrees!
 
Thank you again Medfordart.. I will stay in touch. for sure. Yes, hopefully I will be out of town before the Papal visit! I am so happy when you post an update on your progress.
 
Hi @Medfordart, I haven't seen you post in a while. I hope your recovery is continuing to go smoothly! Have you been able to do some of the art projects you were thinking of doing? Hope all is well!
 
Hi @Medfordart! Just catching up on your progress. That is great news about your restrictions being lifted. I'm still waiting for my clearance, which will be in another 3 weeks, or so. In my case, he is lifting them a bit early but he is very conservative and even said that while the restrictions are lifted, normally, at the 3-month time, I will still have to be cautious forever! That was a bummer (no pun intended) but I totally understood why. I hope you continue to live life with your new hip and enjoy every day!
 
Hi @Medfordart Just reading through your recovery thread, despite having the pain and nausea to start you are right where you should be. You give me confidence that although we are all different and have different issues we will heal. Thanks for sharing your story, I am counting the days now, 6 days until I'm on the other side.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom