THR I made it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nana757... Great to hear from you. I am doing well...making progress every week. I hope your restrictions are lifted soon...that helps! I have found however that I move way to much in my sleep because I wake up with sore hips every morning.
 
Hi LaylaHips...hope you are doing well. Yes, I am back working with my art....makes me feel great!.
 
Hi Plum Perfect! Good luck with your journey...the waiting is seriously the worse!
I will follow your progress!
 
I've tried several times to sleep on my side, but just can't do it anymore. The way I set up my little cocoon for sleeping on my back..I just stay put all night and don't wake up til morning..unless I get up for a bathroom run. My DH is amazed that once I settle in for the night, I never move. So I guess that's the way it'll be from now on, which is ok with me. I get good, restful 8-9 hrs of sleep and I guess that's the important thing, for us. Right?
Hope you have a wonderful day and continue with your marvelous recovery!
 
That works Nana757. I had to really work at sleeping on my side. Started with one minute on the non operated side. That finally progressed..then started all over with the operated side. That was harder, but there now. I am a side sleeper...so happy now. It is wonderful that you are getting 8 - 9 hours of sleep. That is so fantastic for your healing.
 
Yes, I honestly think that is why I have had little difficulty bouncing back. There were only a handful of nights, since surgery, where I had trouble sleeping, but it wasn't due to pain or discomfort. But from the very beginning I was sleeping well. And if you knew me, you would know that I regard sleeping as the cure for all that ails you (that and a cup of tea with toast). I think I learned that from my grandmother many, MANY years ago.
 
@Medfordart Great to see your occasional updates now and how well things are progressing for you. Long may it continue.

Take care and have a great day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Sleep is a beautiful thing. I don't always get a good night's sleep. The hip is not the problem for this...just simple insomnia.
Those first few weeks were difficult. I sleep on my side, so I just couldn't get use to back sleeping. Survived it though...haha

@AndyH99 I have been keeping up with you! It sounds as if you are making great progress. I am sure it feels so great to have both hips behind you. I still have to have the left one replaced, but so far , it is not bothering me.
I am up at West Point Military Academy visiting the family. They are so happy to see me back again. I climbed 8 flights of stairs last night to go watch a radio show...no problem! Today, we walk the cemetery.....no problem.
 
Oh my gosh Medforart. That certainly is encouraging to hear you went up 8 flights of stairs just 2 months after your surgery. Best wishes for a continued recovery.
 
Yikes @Medfordart, 8 flights of steps! My restrictions were lifted on Wed so now I can walk one flight of steps!! Can't imagine 8!.
@Nana757 & @Medfordart, I also build a little "cocoon" so I can sleep on my back, I've never slept on my back so it's been a challenge. I sent my husband out to get me one of those long "body pillows" which allowed me to sleep on my non-operative side, and recently I started sleeping on my hip replacement side. It was uncomfortable the first few tries but it's okay now. The body pillow helps and it's cozy, but getting the covers over it is a trick, especially in the middle of the night, and that's where the reacher comes in handy! Wish I would have got one of these years ago!!
 
It happened! Two days ago, I realized that the incision (scar) discomfort (pain?) was gone...over! I am now two months out.....progress! I almost don't even realize that I have had surgery. I do have slight problem climbing stairs, and I do get stiff after sitting...but I will take it.
 
Oh @Medfordart, that is wonderful news. It's the little victories that keep us going, isn't it? I think it was about 2 weeks ago that I noticed no more burning sensation at the incision site. It was so subtle, I didn't even think about it until I was laying on the table at PT ready to be iced up. WOW!
You're not alone in the "I get stiff" category. I'm thinking it's totally normal...at least I'm hoping so..I'm not blaming it on my age at all! And climbing the stairs does get easier, believe me. We have 17 stairs to climb, from our entrance door and garage to our living quarters, and I try and do them at least twice a day just for the exercise. Since I'm such a couch potato, ya know! Have a wonderful night and keep up the great recovery.
And @LaylaHips ... I'm happy to hear I'm not alone when it comes to loving a LOT of pillows around me. And you are absolutely right about getting the sheets over you. God bless the reacher/grabber device. You have a great night too and sleep well!
 
I made it to the gym today. Great work out, but to my disappointment, I could not swim (breast stroke). It must have something to do with the kick...did not work. I love to swim. I will be back in the water tomorrow working on kicks.
 
Hi Medfordart! I bet you will get it back in no time, you are very disciplined :) Anything with the frog kick is going to be tricky at first.. that was impossible for me when I tried swimming in August. I can't wait until the Dr says I can get in the water again. I have such high hopes.:swim:
 
Hello @Medfordart
Like you I love swimming. I was put on strict instructions "no breaststroke" this was a forever instruction. I did not query this as it has always hurt my lower back so always do crawl. Take great care not to injure yourself now that you are 2.5 months post op. On my first return to crawl my calf muscles really ached.

After my foot op I went swimming as soon as I could but it felt so unsafe that I postponed it for 6 weeks. So starting again next week. Hope it all goes well for you - swimming is a luxury if it "your thing"
 
Yes..it is my thing. I will just keep working in the water. Did they say no breaststroke ever after your hip surgery?
 
I could see that being a restriction in some cases. My mother has lifelong restrictions but after reading Josephine's view on that, I tend to agree, no one will remember them as the years pass and they get stronger and stronger.

I may be swimming here, soon. We have a lot of flood watches in our area and the hurricane isn't even up to our area yet!
So, if I have to swim to safety I will try to do any stroke other than the breast stroke :snork:
You are closer to the shore than me, Medford.. I bet you are getting tons of rain, too.
Back to the hips,,,
Medfordart, I think all restrictions were lifted for you, right?
 
Cricket...this rain is never ending. Right now, it looks like we will be spared the hurricane, but I still plan to go to the store today for some preparation items. After Sandy, it is better to be prepared.
Yes, I had all restrictions lifted at my 6 week check up. I never thought to ask about breast stroke. I did tell him that I swim and could not wait to get back in the water. The hip does let you know when it doesn't like something! I am sure it will loosen up...but I will keep working on it! Back to the pool today!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom