Guest viewing is limited

THR I MADE IT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I love the answer from your OS. That he would make it up to you by lengthening your other leg :)
When I showed concern about this issue my OS answer was "let me know in 6 weeks time if you feel your leg is longer" which suggests to me that either its not easy to tell from xrays or more simply they put in fixtures that minimise dislocation and if adds length so be it...which I guess is fair enough.....
 
rockymountainjayne my bad leg was significantly shorter pre-op as my hip joint had collapsed and pushed right up into the socket. My surgeon said he would be able to fix that, and I have to say as I practise walking around, I think my legs are now even, or so close that no-one would notice. My physio commented the other day, after watching me walk from behind, that no-one would be able to tell which hip was replaced.
Hope you are feeling well
Ally
 
BarbaraR I am on the lovenox for 21 days. I was presented with first needle yesterday and burst into tears ( I really really hate needles). I was strongly encouraged to do it, which I did. Today the second year resident came in, I grabbed everything from her, didn't wait for instructions, got it over with....pretty proud of myself....:)
 
rockymountainjayne, I am exactly like you, re the needles. I was presented with the sharps disposal box at my pre-admission visit and burst into tears. I told her there was no way I would be able to do it myself. Her suggestions were, the home nurse, then maybe my GP. But of course that would involve going to the doctor's every day. In the end my 26yr old son gave me my needles. Some hurt, some didn't. It didn't matter, I dreaded it anyway. I would close my eyes, and take deep breaths. I am 23 days post-op now so NO MORE NEEDLES yay!
 
zauberflöte I feel great. Kicking back in recliner.
Kinda miss the day shift nurses, awesome sense of humor and got patients on ward involved with each other, hallway get togethers.....:)
Grab a wheelchair and coffee.....awesome. Nightshift really misses out....
Picking on physio, distracting them from their count....
Doc wanted me to stay one more day, a little lower lip and I got my way.... :heehee:
 
rockymountainjayne sounds like you had the hospital experience from heaven! Nurses with enough time to kid around? i haven't seen that in a US hospital EVER! Hope you are well today, get over the needle and on with your day! :)
 
So glad you are feeling so much better, it's true isn't it that the operation pain is much less than the pain you had preop? I'm 12 days down the line and yesterday went out for my first walk with 1 stick, (cane). :yay:
 
Littlejem Congrats on your walk with one stick. I am looking forward to getting outside. Waiting for the snow and ice to disappear which I think may happen soon....:)
Question for anyone: my first two lovenox shots I gave myself were good, this one, made valiant attempt to follow directions, when I heard the click of needle retracting I looked and have a blood spot, I am not actively bleeding but there is a spot of blood there, is this ok? Maybe I am being a little paranoid...
I am moving around house with crutches quite easily and doing my physio....the leg length difference makes walking "feel" strange, but sure beats the bone on bone pain.....I SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!
 
rockymountainjayne Hi there thank same thing has happened to me with the injections it happens because you just catch a small blood capillary on the way out nothing to worry about.I hate doing them to myself as well and I used to be a nurse ! Over here we do them for 30 days as well. Your time in hospital sounds a laugh which is wonderful I hope your recovery goes really well
 
rockymountainjayne, I don't know about blood spots because I never looked, but I did end up with a bellyful of bruises! There are some clips on YouTube that might be worth looking at. I watched a few, and got a few tips, for example if you do it straight after shower, the skin is softer and hurts less.
 
Hi I assume you are taking about injections for blood thinning? I had injections while I was in hospital but came home with tablets thank goodness, really not sure I could have done injections!! My surgeon made my leg longer but will even it up when I go back to have the other one done, it really does get easier and less noticeable, it feels like it's inches at first but that does settle down.
 
Congratulations on your surgery and being home relaxing now. Are you in need of your other hip to be replaced? A lot of people on here feel that there is a difference in leg length at first and then it goes away. I haven't felt that when walking but I did when I came up stairs, I don't know why the difference. I'm sure it will all work out for you and it sounds like you're doing great.
 
No problem with the tiny blood spot from giving yourself your injection.. Keep the syringe straight, pinch some fat and go in quick, inject and come out quick... You are doing very well, no one likes needles... When I started nursing training I had to practice on an orange until I was allowed anywhere near a patient :)
 
Poppet years ago, when I was trained to give myself allergy injections, the nurse made me load up the syringe with real extract and do it in my own thigh. I was terrified! I asked, "No saline for practise? No orange to try out firsst?" She told me to quit fussing and do it already. LOL
 
Poppet thank for the heads up. Have to say that today has been a perfect day, I cannot remember the time when it meant so much to go to the bathroom .... :happydance: I do think tho that I am starting to look like a prune..... :) I have been fortunate and sleeping through the night, on my unoperated side with a pillow between my knees, which is not my usual side, don't have the courage for that yet, on the flip side have the rest of my life for that after healing done.
sandybeach ... I am in need of the other hip being done, although the current x-rays do not show the deterioration that my right one had.
Sitting back to a Harry Potter marathon at the moment....Love those movies and books.

Seriously looking forward to March 31 and the new season of Game of Thrones.... :)
Haven't made it to the piano yet, plenty of time for that...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom