Guest viewing is limited

TKR I made it through too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, Patti, so glad to hear you have turned the corner. I was the same but it took a bit longer. But it does feel good, right!? Happy Healing!
 
It does feel better without staples! Removal wasn't a big deal. A few pinches but not bad at all. Now if I can get the pain under control! I talked to the doc yesterday and he said I should be taking the maximum amount daily and not thinking about cutting back. I have been doing that for 24 hours and the pain is much better. However, I am so "wired" I can't sleep more than an hour or so. I guess that will just have to be the trade off. I am cutting back on PT for a few days. I will do stretches, etc., but no bicycling and stair exercises. I think my knee needs some healing time. I started home PT at day 3 after surgery. I like my PT but she is so aggressive....if you can do this...then you can do this much more! And I did....but I think my knee is mad at me!! Thanks for listening to all this. Time for my next pill! Here is to Happy Knees!

I would keep taking the pain meds for now---as scheduled---you will feel much better---yes, there are side effects like the "cotton brain" that I had, but my OS basically insisted that I 1.) take the pain meds as ordered and 2) not worry about addiction ideas that I had.

Sleep also tried its best to avoid me during my recovery---it was probably one of the most frustrating aspects of recovery. I wandered around the house like Diogenes, but instead of looking for one honest man, I was looking for a good night's sleep. I slept on the bed, I went to the guest bed, I moved to the couch, to the futon, and finally, I would throw the futon mattress onto the floor.

It is a very, very common complaint that many TKR patients have---and my OS honestly told me he did not know why we get these sleep issues. It wasn't that I was in any pain---it was just that I couldn't get comfortable.
 
Patti, I'm soooo glad that you're feeling better today with good pain control. It really DOES make a big difference. My next PT session isn't until next Wednesday. So I feel like I'm getting a mini-vacation able to do the exercises at my own pace -- not necessarily one right after another as with PT -- but here and there through the day. Hope that you have a good night with a better night's sleep. I'm hoping for the same thing. :sleep:
 
The last few days with the pain under control have been so good! I am not using the walker. I do use the cane on my few trips outside! I start PT back this week so we shall see how that goes! I can tell my knee has stiffened up somewhat. Even though I am doing the exercises it sure is not the same at the PT putting me through the paces! That said, I am glad I took the time off to get a little strength back! I have 2 more weeks of in home therapy and I hope I will be driving by then because there are no PT's close by where I live. The nearest is about 30 minutes away. All in all everything is looking much better. Now about that whole sleeping thing!!! Happy knees to all!
 
Patti,
My knee has been more sore for the past few days too, and I've been exercising throughout the day -- at a leisurely pace.

As for the whole sleeping thing -- it will be soooo good when we can sleep well through the night. I'm not sure how long I'll be doing home therapy. It might end next week -- depending on when the OS decides that I no longer have to take Warfarin. What day is your first PT this week? Hope that you have a good day.
 
Patti, you have asked and answered your own questions.

- If it hurts, don't do it.
- Don't take pills to stop it hurting, just don't do it.
- If it makes your knee hurt or swell up within 24 hours of whatever 'it' was, don't do it.

That is all there is to it.

You can ride your bike, but just following the pedals, no pushing. You should not be breathing hard. It will help with flexion a bit and getting healing blood to your leg a lot.
 
Welcome to the other side! (we sounds like aliens, don;t we? ha ha).
I would say if you feel deep pain, just stay off your feet for a day or two.
just a suggestion.
 
Hi Becky, My insurance approved 12 in home PT treatments. I have 7 left. After reading everything I could on this forum I took the last week off to do a little healing and work on getting the pain under control. This turned out to be a good idea!! I start back tomorrow. This time I will be much easier on myself. How is your PT going? Has your doctor told you when you can expect to be driving? As for sleep, it seems we are all in the same boat! Here is hoping for a few hours of sleep tonight!
 
Hi Becky, My insurance approved 12 in home PT treatments. I have 7 left. After reading everything I could on this forum I took the last week off to do a little healing and work on getting the pain under control. This turned out to be a good idea!! I start back tomorrow. This time I will be much easier on myself. How is your PT going? Has your doctor told you when you can expect to be driving? As for sleep, it seems we are all in the same boat! Here is hoping for a few hours of sleep tonight!

Patti. glad that you took last week off from in-home PT treatments, and that it has helped. I don't know that my PT had a specific number of PT treatments listed as approved. I recall something about physical therapy approved for 60 days or something like that. I assume that includes outpatient PT after home health is finished.

I still haven't slept through the night, but have slept for 2-3 hours at a time. Sometimes my problem is getting in to a comfortable position when I first go to bed. Then other times, it's part-way through the night that nothing seems to work as a comfortable position. So I sit up and massage my knee and leg for a few minutes before lying down again.

We'll get there -- to better sleeping at night -- soon, hopefully. :sleep:


I'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow. So I'll ask him about things like ending home health and starting outpatient PT, and driving. I won't really need to worry about driving for awhile yet. If he OK's me driving by the last part of May, that will be good. I'd be even happier if he approves my driving for the middle of May -- even if I don't drive anywhere, it's nice to know that it's OK.

Hope that you have a good day and that your PT treatment went well. :friends:
 
Patti,
How are you doing, partner? We've made it through our 1st month on the other side. :yes 4: Hope you're doing well. It's hard to believe that it's been a month. How is your PT going? I start outpatient PT tomorrow morning.

Take care, dear friend. Talk to you later.
:friends:
 
I have been following your recovery as my journey will begin on June 5. Sounds like you have had some ups and downs but are recovering well. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Keep us update on progress.
 
I am still doing the one step forward two steps back dance. I am icing, elevating, resting and taking the pain meds and doing PT. Some days are nearly pain free and then out of the blue here it comes again. The last 3 days have been painful. I do not have a happy knee! Hopefully it will settle down again soon!:hairpulling:
 
Hi Patti, I so am wishing your knee starts to treat you better soon! Remember how unhappy your knee was before you had the RTKR? I hope what you're dealing with is not like that pain, but the recovery pain! As bad as that would be at least it's going forward! Always remember you are only 4 wks from your getting your new knew. You are still in the getting to know you stage of the game!:friends: I like reading your progress because it gives me an idea of what I will be facing in the next couple of months. Thanks for sharing!:friends:
 
Just to prove that this knee will do what it wants to do...I woke up this morning in only slight pain! So, today is a happy knee day. Go figure! I have never experienced anything like these ups and downs! I keep trying to 'figure it out' and it will not be 'figured out'!
 
:dev-godseesaw:Ah, yes, Patti, welcome to the wonderful world of recovery!
Just drives you crazy :wacko: sometimes. So make the most of this "good" day, but please don't overdo or tomorrow will be a "bad" day.

Keep us posted. We care.
 
Just to prove that this knee will do what it wants to do...I woke up this morning in only slight pain! So, today is a happy knee day. Go figure! I have never experienced anything like these ups and downs! I keep trying to 'figure it out' and it will not be 'figured out'!

Patti, that is SO true. Our knees decide from day to day -- and sometimes from moment to moment -- how it will feel and what we will do.

Glad that you're having a happy knee day. Maybe a good day to enjoy and relax. :flowerysmile::mornincoffee::choc::sleepz:
 
Patti, hope that you are doing well. You are missed. :friends:
Hey Becky, I am doing well. I just spent 4 days at the lake with my family. It is a 5 hour drive and that was a little uncomfortable but I was able to walk down a 30 foot embankment from the cabin to the dock and get in the boat and go for a wonderful boat ride. It was my daughter and son in law's 25th anniversary and I am so thankful I could be there. I live on the coast and have been walking on the beach! I told my doctor last year...."I want to be able to walk on the beach again without hobbling back home in tears!" SUCCESS!! I am walking in the edge of the water but haven't braved going out into the waves yet. But soon, very soon! I am still taking one pain pill in the morning (hydrocodone) and one at night. BOY what a difference a few weeks makes! I continue to do my own exercises. I did not go to out pt PT. I use the pedal exerciser and the small soccer ball that was recommended in the book by Brugioni and Falkel Total Knee Replacement & Rehab. Lots of stretches and walking. But if anything hurts I give it a rest. I like your idea of the protein drink. I am still losing weight and my appetite isn't much. I needed to lose a few pounds but I need to level out now. So I am going to try the protein drink. Thanks! I am so happy to read that you are progressing nicely! It is hard to keep good women down! Amen!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom