TKR I made it through too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Patti! Great to see you. Great to hear that you have been enjoying your life. :yay:
 
:happydance:What a great update, Patti. So nice that things are continuing to get better and better. Walks on the beach are not just wonderful they're also therapeutic for the body and the soul. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Patti, congratulations on being able to enjoy walking on the beach again -- and the vacation with your family celebrating your daughter and son-in-law's 25th anniversary. It's so much better on the other side now. I'm generally taking one Hydrocodone in the mornings and one Oxycodone in the evening before going to bed. So we're doing great with the pain meds, partner. :friends:

The protein drinks are a good part of our routine -- adding banana, blueberries, or whatever for a change of taste. Hope that you have a wonderful week. :SUNsmile:
 
Patti, congratulations on being able to enjoy walking on the beach again -- and the vacation with your family celebrating your daughter and son-in-law's 25th anniversary. It's so much better on the other side now. I'm generally taking one Hydrocodone in the mornings and one Oxycodone in the evening before going to bed. So we're doing great with the pain meds, partner. :friends:

The protein drinks are a good part of our routine -- adding banana, blueberries, or whatever for a change of taste. Hope that you have a wonderful week. :SUNsmile:
I am going to be in Savannah on Tuesday for my check up and while I am there I will go to the health food store and get some protein powder for a yummy drink! I mostly avoid breakfast and don't get hungry until later in the day. I am going to start having a fruity protein drink to start the day. Part of my eating better and taking care of myself better plan to go along with this time of healing and becoming an all around healthier person! I am inspired. Now is the time! No more excuses. Today I went to lunch at a restaurant with lots of steps and other than a little twinge coming down I did it!! It has been a long time since I could eat at that restaurant!! After going through these last twelve weeks recovering from major surgery in order to improve my life I am really feeling it now!! There is nothing I can't do! If you can get through a knee replacement there is nothing you can't do! So, here is to the beginning of a new journey through life where pain is not in control of me! YAY!
 
We absolutely luuuuuuuuuv hearing great updates. Thank you!
 
We absolutely luuuuuuuuuv hearing great updates. Thank you!
Thanks Everyone! Yesterday was a busy day. I drove myself to the doctor (about 45 minutes) for the first time. No drugs so I felt capable. What a sense of freedom!! The doc said I couldn't be doing any better!! And more importantly...I think I couldn't be doing any better! He released me to see him ONLY if needed. He was especially pleased about the incision. I would say he was rightfully proud of himself! I told him I like him a whole lot better now than I did that first month! After the doctor visit I did a little shopping and ran a few errands. When I got home I iced and elevated. Today I have had no swelling. So, all in all, things are looking up!! I want to say a HUGE thank you to JOSEPHINE for her advice regarding physical therapy. Once I stopped letting them hurt me I started to heal! HAPPY KNEES TO EVERYONE!!
 
Yay Patti!!! Excellent report. I am sure that you feel really great, and it feels good to celebrate your victory... Keep up the good work. :yahoo:
 
Patti, congratulations on the great report and being released. My OS has me scheduled for a 6-month follow-up, but it's his regular routine. We're doing great with the first part of our new journey with our wonderful new knees. It helps so much to have Jo, all of our moderators, and everybody here to help us along the way.

Hope that you have a wonderful weekend and stay cool -- despite all of this heat.
 
I am going to be in Savannah on Tuesday for my check up and while I am there I will go to the health food store and get some protein powder for a yummy drink! I mostly avoid breakfast and don't get hungry until later in the day. I am going to start having a fruity protein drink to start the day. Part of my eating better and taking care of myself better plan to go along with this time of healing and becoming an all around healthier person! I am inspired. Now is the time! No more excuses. Today I went to lunch at a restaurant with lots of steps and other than a little twinge coming down I did it!! It has been a long time since I could eat at that restaurant!! After going through these last twelve weeks recovering from major surgery in order to improve my life I am really feeling it now!! There is nothing I can't do! If you can get through a knee replacement there is nothing you can't do! So, here is to the beginning of a new journey through life where pain is not in control of me! YAY!
Love this!
 
At almost 4 months out my knee is doing good. Not wonderful yet, but good. Swelling a bit now and then and achy when it swells. I am off all RX meds and take the Bonesmart cocktail only as needed. I am not doing any formal pt and I haven't since my 12 sessions of in-home pt ended. I am considering seeing a Chiropractor for low back and shoulder and hip pain. I'm sure it is arthritis but does anyone know if a Chiropractor would help? Would it hurt my knee??? My stomach just can not take any of the prescription meds for arthritis. Now that I do not have the constant bone on bone from the knee I would LOVE to find a way to get the rest of my body to cooperate! Any input will be appreciated!
 
[Bonesmart.org] I made it through too!
Patti, a chiropractor certainly can't hurt for low back, hip and shoulder pain. Don't see how anything he would do would involve your knee. Acupuncture is used by some members here and they swear by it.


I'd say your knee is doing very well for 4 months post op. I'm 9 months and I still have some swelling of the left knee if I do more than it likes. Still have trouble going down steps---but overall I'm thrilled with both my new knees.

It's always good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger--keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] I made it through too!
 
Patti, it's good to hear from you. We seem to be in about the "same place" with recovery. My knee still swells sometimes too, depending on what I've been doing. As for the back pain, my hubby and I have a chiropractor who approaches things wholistically -- and it hasn't hurt my knee. I waited until 2 months post-op to make an appointment, and he left the right leg (and knee) alone at that time. It's OK now at 4 months.

Wow ! It's hard to believe that the 2 of us are almost 4 months post-op. We're getting there -- one step at a time. :thumb: :):friends:
 
I highly recommend going to a Chiropractor. I have been going since early on after surgery and it helps a lot. Definitely doesn't hurt your knee, when every thing else is lined up in your body your knee is better off.
 
Thanks for all your input! I located a Chiropractor who says he practices whollistically...thanks Becky I like the sound of that.My insurance will help pay a Chiropractor but not physical therapy or massage or acupuncture. So, I will go see this Chiropractor next week and sees how it goes. I am feeling very positive about it. On the coast here we are having afternoon thunderstorms and the humidity is off the charts all day. My knee is not all that happy but I love this weather. I elevate it and ice it out on the front balcony in my comfy chair and a good book! And when the sun is out I walk down to the beach and walk in the sand and along the edge of the water! I haven't been able to do that for a few years! Things are certainly looking up at 8 days short of 4 months! The secret of this recovery is to realize whatever is happening now will not last forever. During those early painful days and nights it's all about following the Bonesmart mantra: Rest, Elevate, Ice, and take pain medicine on a schedule! Then it is up to us to use our common sense regarding physical therapy and pain.
and then slowly by slowly there are improvements....then we have to use our common sense about how far to push ourselves so not to have a set back . But we learn, oh how we learn! And then it levels out and we find we don't have to think about the knee before everything else. Standing from a chair without giving that knee a thought. Leaning over to put on shoes with no thought of the knee. And it is only going to get better and better. Now I am looking forward to getting the rest of my body in better condition. The typical exercise routine will not work when there is arthritis in most joints. So maybe the chiropractor can help me get in better alignment for an overall feeling of well being. It is a blessing that the knee has come so far that I can now focus on the rest. As long as I keep my icepack on the ready for minor setbacks! Thanks again all you Bonesmarties. I would hate to think what it would have been like without all your input and reading your stories to help me know I was suffering no more or less that most of the rest of you!! Here is to Happy Knees all y'all!!
 
Patti, I whole-heartedly agree about how much our group of Bonesmart friends have helped in this journey -- before, during, and after. :friends: We're getting better. :happydance:
 
I know this isn't the right thread, but didn't know how to ask a question on another topic. I had a left knee replacement in dec. 1009. I just had a right knee replacement june 2012. My left knee has started to have a little bit of pain right on the front of the knee. Has anyone experienced this when they have had both knees done at different times? My left knee wasn't hurting at all about a week ago. I'm very frustrated over this. I'm going to pt twice a week and am doing good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom