TKR I made it through too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I woke up this morning (after 6 wonderful hours of sleep) something felt odd! Then I realized....NO PAIN!!! Since I have not done anything different since I came home from hospital...rest. ice. elevate and meds...I am hoping I have turned a corner on the pain issue! At least that deep down aching to the bone kind of pain! PT is coming this afternoon. But no 'atta girl's' for me today! Tomorrow the staples come out. I haven't seen much about the staple removal. I'm thinking it has to pinch but is there more to it than pinch? Thanks everyone!!
 
Pattie, I didn't have staples for the knees, but did for my hip. They have a special tool designed just to remove the staples and for the most part it is completely painless. Not to worry!
 
It pinches a little but not pain.
 
yikes. I was still in rehab at this point of the game. Did not do bike for
about a month and a half. Rest. Watch TV! I did alot of resting and
slow walking with walker.
 
Well, Cynthia, you may have been much better off than those who rush into PT and are up and doing too much too soon. I think slow and easy wins the race in this recovery.
 
Patti,

Hope that your "staple removal" went well. Mine came out today too. We seem to be on the same track that way. I've been sleeping and napping more than anything - part of the reason that I have taken so long to start posting again. I just don't seem to have any energy, and when I do -- it drains away soooo fast. It definitely helps to have suggestions and support from everyone here.

I had my first "at home" PT this morning. We're on the road to feeling better, partner. :friends:
 
congrats on being staple-less organist!
 
It does feel better without staples! Removal wasn't a big deal. A few pinches but not bad at all. Now if I can get the pain under control! I talked to the doc yesterday and he said I should be taking the maximum amount daily and not thinking about cutting back. I have been doing that for 24 hours and the pain is much better. However, I am so "wired" I can't sleep more than an hour or so. I guess that will just have to be the trade off. I am cutting back on PT for a few days. I will do stretches, etc., but no bicycling and stair exercises. I think my knee needs some healing time. I started home PT at day 3 after surgery. I like my PT but she is so aggressive....if you can do this...then you can do this much more! And I did....but I think my knee is mad at me!! Thanks for listening to all this. Time for my next pill! Here is to Happy Knees!
 
Sleep does tend to elude us in the first 4 to 6 weeks. That's why is important to get those catnaps in whenever you can. Has a lot to do with all the meds in the hospital including anesthesia and then pain meds at home for several weeks up to 3 months for some.

Your knee has undergone severe trauma from the surgery. It needs time to heal. Doing too much PT will just make it angry, then it swells more than it already is and it hurts! Don't let the therapist push you---you are the customer, she works for you. You can do exercises to the point of discomfort--never painful. And don't let your leg get overtired either. The real secret to this recovery is taking TIME and being PATIENT. You aren't likely to begin to feel "normal" for at least 4 months. So you have plenty of time to do exercises and develop your range of motion.

I have had a very successful recovery because I have not pushed myself or let others push me. I feel very close to normal. I still have a few issues that will resolve themselves over the next 6 months. And Lord knows, I've got more time than money, so what's the hurry?

Be kind to your knee and it will be good to you. Keep us posted. We care.
 
My surgeon uses staples and I was wondering how weird that was going to feel being stapled together. Of course, it seems a strange thought to be glued together as well. :eeew:

Glad to know that the staples are no big deal to remove.

Wonderful that you continue to improve!
 
I didn't have a problem with the staples other than borrowing trouble and worrying what it would feel like to have them removed. There were many, many staples and I did not like looking at all that metal (or whatever staples are made of) attached to my body!
 
Elisea, the staples were actually fine. I had 34 staples. We thought it looked a bit like a Frankenstein zipper, but it felt fine. It was good to get them removed and replaced with steri-strips -- mainly because that's the next step -- as far as the actual surgical area is concerned. The main thing -- as everyone keeps reminding us is the mantra -- elevate, ice, and pain meds (according to the clock). Keeping the pain under control will make the days and nights better -- taking naps whenever you get a chance -- in between falling asleep during the day "at the drop of a hat". You'll do fine, and be on the road to getting much better on the other side.
 
Patti.....the advice you've been getting is right on target. Slow, steady. No aggressive PT. Take your pain meds on a 4-hour schedule for a while. Ice and elevate. Repeat.
 
Patti,
Taking a break from your PT person is a good idea. You don't need to be pushed too far at this point -- none of us at this stage of recovery. Home therapy has been helpful so far, and she encouraged me to relax my leg/knee briefly between each repetition of an exercise -- for a few seconds. That gives my knee and leg (and me) a chance to "take a slow breath" before doing another repetition. It puts the exercises more in the category of uncomfortable rather than "screaming" at me. When I start going to outpatient PT (after they release me from home therapy and Warfarin), I'll see what that therapist does.

We're moving on -- slow and steady, partner.:friends:
 
Hi Patti, I had my TKR on the 16th, Newbie. We need to just be patient and let our bodies tell us what is enough. I've been going at it too hard. Hit some bumps this week too. Rest, Ice, Drugs and easy PT. Good luck with your recovery.
 
Just a quick update! What a difference a week (or a day) makes! Last week at this time I was in a great deal of pain and my body felt like it was rejecting me! Now that I have the pain under control my body is happier with me! I started taking the meds on a tight schedule and stopped aggressive PT for a few days. It is all about pain control! Nothing good happens when your body is in great pain! Thanks again all you wonderful BoneSmarties!
 
Great news Patti that you are doing so much better. :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom