Guest viewing is limited

THR I made it, barely

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vaseline is a suggestion in my instructions from the dr. I used a new jar.
It took a little while, I didn't want to pull too fast. :thud:
It feels so much better with that off. Not so tight feeling.
Still doing well, able to put full weight on it now. Doctor said to put full weight on it as tolerated.
I don't see the surgeon until July 14th
 
Yahooooooo! Sounds like you are doing great @Cynjl ! Enjoy that shiny new hip!
 
Been doing pretty good until today. Just didn't have any physical stamina, so I took it easy and napped off and on. Is this normal?
 
Cynji, oh my goodness....yes! The drain on stamina will continue for several months at least. And it's a good thing....you need plenty of resting and sleeping time for healing to occur. Don't fight it; it's your body's way of telling you what it needs.

Sharon
 
Energy drain for THRs is a very real part of this recovery. I found if I planned an active day followed by a rest day it worked very well. Pretty soon the rest days get shorter and shorter.
 
Been about 3 weeks since surgery. I don't know if it's because of the fracture, but it seems I'm not getting very far in my recovery.
Yesterday I was in the kitchen and stepped away from the counter without my crutches and my surgery leg started to give out, and had some pain-scared me to death...I almost started crying.
I guess I'm getting impatient with the seemingly slow recovery, I just want to get to a point where I can just get up and walk without thinking about it.
 
@Cynjl you have made progress. Look back at your post number 43. Recovery does not happen at one level. It's roller coaster. One day you are feeling great and confident. The next day you feel like you had a setback. Bottom line - at only 3 weeks out from THR + a fracture you are doing great. Patience is prescribed in double doses! You will get there!
 
Hi @Cynjl
I remember that feeling - by three weeks it was dawning on me that this wasn't going to be the 2 week recovery that I had in my head. I remember looking at Josephine's healing progression chart and thinking "it can't really be that long!" It really does get better in fits and starts with plateaux which were the danger time for me. From three months I felt good "almost back to normal" It is amazing when you start to do things without thinking about the hip. Even more amazing when you have a fall at 5 months as I and others have and it does not disrupt your now very strong hip. So TIME is of the essence and as one member said it is not you but your hip that decides - so true. So hang in there the best is yet to come!
 
Hi @Cynjl hope you are feeling better. I agree recovery is never on our time schedule. I am nine weeks out and today I really feel like I might cross over to the ok stage. You have had a rough go! Hugs and thoughts.
 
@Cynjl just checking to see how you are doing. Hope all is well!
 
Still having problems getting fixed to sleep at night. Last night I finally resorted to sleeping on the couch. I was able to put a pillow by my hip and a pillow between my legs and I finally got some sleep. Still having to take the narcotics meds as the pain is still there if I don't. I'm thinking it may be the fracture still, as the hip socket itself doesn't hurt at all.
July 1 marks exactly one month since surgery, still can't believe sometimes that I actually had this done.
It's a beautiful day out today, so I may go out and soak up some sunshine
 
At one month out and with a fracture you are bound to still need your meds. Please don't worry about this. And the sleep problems are very common in this recovery. Hang in there! Enjoy the sun!
 
@Cynjl - after a long day I find I still need a Tramadol or at least half one to get a good nights sleep along with some Tylenol. And after working all day at the horse show yesterday, today is definitely scheduled for some very long naps. Sounds like you're doing great!

Patti in Vail AZ
 
Sounds very similar to me. I didn't fall, but I felt a pop, not once, but twice. I assumed it was the tendons. No such luck. Are they having you keep weight off of the leg? Also, did they need to wire you up?
 
Oh my gosh! Twice?
They are having me wear a hip brace while up and about, but I'm able to take it off when resting or in bed. I'm also able to put as much weight on it as tolerated.
They didn't have to do any additional surgery.
I have to wear it and use crutches or a walker until I see the surgeon on July 14th.
Did you have to wear a brace or have additional surgery with yours?
 
No brace, but the second surgery was necessary to wrap wire around the end of the femur and to replace the implant with one of a larger size. I'm 6'6" and 270#. I need the largest they have! Good luck on the 14th. I see mine the 2nd
 
Really starting to notice the benefits of the exercises. I've been doing them 3 times a day and small walking spurts throughout the day. I started taking 1/2 an Oxy every 4 hrs and I finally have pain relief without the loopiness and bowels are back to normal.

Yesterday my sister and I went to the grocery store and she insisted I use one of those motorized carts. I was reluctant at first...but, wow what a difference it made. Those things can turn on a dime :vespa:

(The brace and crutches are quite cumbersome )

At first I thought people would look at me sideways, but I got the opposite. I had total strangers say Hello! and How are you doing?

Also, I got the best sleep last night than I've had in a very long time.:sleep:
 
Hi- I see you are in Marion who did your surgery? I had my LTHR on June 2nd so looks like 1 day after your surgery. I had my RTHR done 4 yrs ago and this recovery is alot harder so just hang in there. Last time I was walking w/o aids at this point but the PT thinks I will probably need a cane for another 1-2 months. All I can say is do your exercises and ice and it will pay off in the long run.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom