Guest viewing is limited

THR I made it, barely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a little better today. Walked around the inside of the house today. Pain meds are on schedule and I'm spreading them out every 6 hrs. Had bm a couple times today a little watery, so may cut back on the stoolsoftner. Mouth is really dry, so I have been chugging the water like crazy.
The brace is a little cumbersome, I seem to be getting the hang of it though. And the care I received at the hospital was just wonderful.
Does anyone know if there is anyone here who may have had a similar experience with the hip brace
 
Sorry to read you have suffered this setback - you might like to read these articles, including one in the library on 'Bone Health' - take care of yourself :)

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Hi @Cynjl , While I was shocked to hear about your bad luck with the hairline fracture I join the others and wish you all the best now - you sound very confident and strong. Get well soon! Hugs - Constanze
 
Doing better today. Creating a routine. I'm taking pain meds 1st thing in the am. Then breakfast, then 2 laps around kitchen, then sit with some ice, then on to lay down for awhile. Doing leg exercises while lying down, then nap. Then set alarm for next meds...seems to be working better.
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words.
 
Routine is the best! Regular meds, ice and elevate and repeat. It gets better every day!
 
Pleased to hear you are having a better time of things. Getting plenty of rest is the answer I'm sure.
 
Been a couple days since I updated. Getting around with walker still. Still needing the pain meds. Fracture has something to do with that I'm sure.
Sister has been a big help. She went back to work today after taking a week off. My Dad is still here to help for a couple days. He said he will play it by ear when he will leave.
I'm having a hard time deciding what to eat. I'm such a picky eater anyway, but trying to find something healthy and convenient.
 
@Cynjl please don't even consider decreasing pain meds now. You have lots going on. A small space of time on medication for a lifetime of no hip pain. Early days!
 
Going to try getting back to taking pain meds every 4 hrs. And using the muscle relaxent for when I'm resting. The muscle relaxent has antihistamine in it which is making me sleep all day so I'm not getting the exercises done the way I should.
I'll get this figured out.
:skep:
 
Please don't worry about the exercises! Hips don't really need a lot of exercise - most just walking. If you are getting sleep - that's healing time.
 
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice. Sure helps to know others have gone through the same thing and I'm not alone.:loveshwr:
 
Supposed to take the bandages off tonight and put Vaseline on it overnight. Anyone have any tips or is it pretty easy to do?
 
Process went well. My sister helped. The incision looked pretty good. Will be taking the rest of the prineo strip off tonight.
Otherwise doing pretty well. Walked a couple more laps around the kitchen/living room. :walking:
 
Hi @Cynjl So glad to hear that your journey is going well, especially with your fracture surprise! Your experience has given me the courage to remove my bandage today. Hopefully nothing much to look at. :scaredycat:
P.S. You're posting to your pre-op rather than your post-op thread. Guessing others are wondering about you!
 
Ooops! Thanks for the heads up. Sister is helping me right now taking rest of the prineo strip off. Still a little stuck so putting a little more Vaseline on to see if that helps.
 
@Cynjl ,
Glad to hear you are doing well after your TKR, hope the hairline fracture is healing well.
 
I will also give you the recovery articles from our library!! They are all short and interesting!! It sounds like you are doing well.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Vaseline? How extraordinary - never heard that before. I hope it was a new pot of Vaseline you used? Nice and clean?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom