THR I made it, barely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had it done at the U of I by Dr. Charles Clark. He is one of their top surgeons there. I received excellent care. Nurses were very friendly and kept up on my pain meds that I never once had to ask for it. I had surgery on Monday 1st and was home on Wednesday 3rd.
It was done with the Anterior approach.
Sitting on ice right now :ice: LOL!
 
Cynjl, i just caught up on your thread. We share many similarities with a setback early into healing. My hip did not break like yours, but I did enough soft tissue damage to deflate any hopes I had for a 4 wk -back to work -full time -recovery - notion. I definitely share your frustration!
You are so lucky to have your family nearby. Your sister sounds awesome. Helping and keeping it real with your limitations right now. I'm so thankful my husband has been great to me, but he works 12-14 hr days. July 1st marked the end of quarter so next week I should be far less lonely with my honey coming home at decent times..... Means I get out of the house!!!!!
I haven't been to a store yet but when i do, I hope to get a rolley cart thing. They are hard to drive!!!! A few hrs ago I was on crutches at Christmas time. All those end of aisle displays, breakable items, oi vey!!! Luckily I only took out a huge toilet paper pyramid! It was embarrassing and hilarious at the same time. Probably not for the workers, but sometimes you just gotta laugh at this stuff.
Anyways, I'm rooting for you! Take care sugar.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tweefishy My sister has been Great through this. She also helped me with 2 prior surgeries.
We are close and have shared a place for a long time.
We bought a house together last year and I have spent the 1st year anniversary of buying the house recuperating. But, we will make up for it when I'm all healed up and start really decorating the place.
After we bought the house the pain really picked up and I was unable to continue doing things around the house like I wanted.
I also have a 10 day trip planned to Italy in November....so that is my motivation to keep moving and getting better every day.
:happydance:
Sounds like you have a wonderful husband. It makes all the difference when you have someone who is there for you.
 
Ahhhhh.... Italy!!!! Now that is a motivating factor in healing!!!! I've always wanted to go to Italy (and Greece, and new Zealand and Australia and )...... Maybe once I am walking without pain I should get a passport!!!! I will have to save up vacation days too. I'm quite sure I've exhausted all of those!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well....the good night's sleep was just that one night. Back to the ol' drawing board.
:bored:
The pain in my leg is still giving me problems. Down in the shin area and yesterday I went to move my leg sideways in bed and the pain in my outer hip nearly sent me through the roof. It feels like it might be in the area where the fracture is. I sure hope it's healing.

I see the surgeon next Tues. 14th for my first follow up. Do you, who have had your surgery done for awhile, still have pain in your shins? Mine feels just like it did before surgery.
 
Hey girl! Try Benadryl to sleep. I took two last night and had my first full night of sleep in about a week and a half. Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well...I didn't get to sleep until after 2 am. While I was awake I was going through my meds and they had prescribed me Hydroxyzine. When I was first taking it, I thought it was for muscle spasms. I quit taking it because I really wasn't having any muscle spasms with this.
So I googled it and it is also prescribed for neuropathic pain and as a sleep aid.
SO.....I'm going to get back on that and see if it helps with my shin pain and with my sleeping difficulties. They also gave me another refill on it.
Somewhere along the line I must have missed why I was taking it.
 
We're all juggling at least 5 meds, more like ten for me, dropping one is bound to happen. Glad you found it and I hope it helps. If not.... Send you sis to the store for Benadryl! 2 nights of sleep now by taking 2 and good lord!!!!! What a difference!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Good news about your meds @Cynjl ! Let us know how it goes tonight!
 
What a difference! Can't believe I've been suffering with sleep problems, when I had something that would help this whole time.
Have been sleeping wonderfully! :sleep:

By the way, is anyone having problems with low back pain...especially first thing in the morning? I can barely function when I first get up.
 
Good for you! I've had sleep this week too and such a huge difference! I'm walking, doing laundry, sitting for long periods, just an amazing difference! So happy for you!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@Cynjl ~ my back is usually pretty tight when I first get up. I have an elastic back support, around $35 from the drugstore that I often put on first thing in the morning until the spasm quiets down and I can stand upright. I usually need it for just five or ten minutes. I've always had some back problems but I think not being able to sleep in our favorite positions affects it too.

If I've been sitting at my computer (like now) and my back spasms when I get up, I still keep the walker nearby and I use it to help arch my back - this seems to relieve the spasm. It actually feels so good the walker may become a permanent piece of furniture next to my computer :loll:
 
@Cynjl if you are still sleeping on your back try putting a pillow under your knees. This eases the stress on your lower back. I suffer lower back pain daily - sorry you are suffering as well!
 
So sorry to hear about your setback.
Be patient and stay positive
We are all in your corner.
 
Great News!!
Had my first follow up with surgeon.
I am able to get rid of the brace and can use just 1 crutch. :happydance:

Found out that it wasn't just a hairline fracture, but a complete break of the very top portion of the greater trochanter.
He said it is starting to heal and wants to see me in 6 weeks.

Also able to return to work on Aug. 3rd, but no driving until I see him again. (Sister and I work at the same place, so that works out fine)
 
That sounds great! Did your surgeon offer any opinion as to how/when the break happened? Do you think he'd admit it if it happened during surgery?
 
I had been walking the halls several times after surgery without any problems or pain. On the 3rd day after surgery when doing my morning walk is when I felt the 'pop' and then the pain. Definitely felt the pain after that. I don't think it happened in surgery or I would have had more pain and I wouldn't have felt the 'pop'. Plus they gave me copies of my xray before and after surgery and again after the 'pop'.
I have been on prednisone for 18 yrs for an Autoimmune liver disease and that can cause your bones to soften too.
 
Ouch. I worry about stuff like that but try to bury those thoughts - after all I'm Wonder Woman (NOT).
Glad you're healing!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom