I hope this was the right decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I was getting hung up on cemented vs. cementless. good reasons for both and concerns for both. I'm getting mine the day after you. we'll compare our "hardware" down the line, lol. I'm stressed out too. Driving my wife crazy, but she is the positive one for both of us. I saw 4 surgeons before I found "the one". He had all the answers and said all the things I wanted to hear, so now it's time to put it in his hands.
 
Good luck Ella61 and cpd599 I had my TKR 5 weeks today I have been walking round my garden since I came from hospital had a little set back last week were they thought I had a blood clot as knee was pretty swollen. Ultrasound was clear and I have a follow up tomorrow. Sure I have some pain but I am getting around ie out for lunch an coffees and I drove my car this week for the first time. My OS told me everyone is different and your own knee will tell you how much you can push it without hurting it. If I have been out during the day I elevate with ice at night while watching television.....this forum is great for voicing concerns and learning from others. ....I will be thinking on you both and please try not to worry x
 
Thank u so much for this positive note. It helps

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Your very welcome we have all been in your shoes that's the good thing about this forum......
 
Well, last weekend before surgery. Anxiety level is increasing agsin. I havnt done anything to get ready for this. Can't seem to get motivated to do anything. Don't know what plans are for after surgery in terns of rehab. Feel unprepared.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
@Ella61 all I did to get prepared was pack comfy clothes that went over my knee and clean my house. I wasn't planning on going to rehab, but that's what happened. The hospital/rehab (I went just down the hall to the hospitals transition care) sent me home with an icing machine and walker. Someone from my family stayed with me for the first week, brought meals, helped me ice and basically waited on me. I was very anxious before hand, but working until the day of surgery helped me not think about it too much.
 
to get my house ready, all I really did was pick up throw rugs and runner in the hall (you will clear them with the front of your walker and your feet only to catch the back leg of the walker on the edge of the rug, so if you don't get them out of the way, watch out for this). I looked around each room and moved any furniture that would be in the way of walking with a walker. (moved coffee table further away from couch, moved my reading chair about 6 inches to give more room, that kind of thing). I did buy a polar active ice machine from amazon and that was the best thing I did, but gel packs will work well also, just be sure to have several as you will want to ice all around your knee and have extra ones waiting in the freezer. a wedge pillow is great for elevating and not expensive, I bought one at bed,bath,beyond but I have seen them at drug mart too. I also bought some strong suction cup grab bars for my shower (and I am going to leave them there forever!), you can't expect them to support your full weight but they are great for getting in and out. I did not want to use a raised toilet seat so I found free standing rails on amazon that are very helpful, this is the name of the one I bought:
Drive Medical Stand Alone Toilet Safety Rail, White

I second guessed myself between the decision and the surgery, but I have had no regrets, I am almost 9 weeks out and doing very well, I don't have that grinding pain, I don't limp, my leg is no longer bowed. my swelling and discomfort (no longer pain) from the surgery is almost gone and I couldn't be happier that I had this done. good luck to you, your knee won't get better without the surgery and you won't get younger and healthier, so do it now and start enjoying your life more fully!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I get what your sayin. Unless I hear something different at the "class" today, I think I'm ready. I'm just trying to do things I won't physically be able to do after Tuesday. I think maybe part of my stress is the fact that I won't be "in control" during this process. I don't like depending on others.
 
Being dependent on others takes some getting used to, but it's a life lesson. My best friend has had ongoing medical/physical problems for 20+ years. I never knew what she went through with her multiple surgeries and she had never been a care giver after surgery. Our positions were reversed when I had my TKR, I learned just how long and hard it is to recovery from surgery and apologized for pushing her so hard after her surgeries. The prior owners of my home had outfitted it for an invalid, as the wife had RA. So I already had an elevated toilet, grab bars in shower as well as a shower seat. So I really had nothing to prep for. I never used my walker around the house after co,I got home, I did use it to hold onto as I climbed into my very high bed.
 
I've been very satisfied with the price and quality of the Drive medical products I have procured getting ready for my surgery.
 
@Ella61 Hi it's me, the other person getting surgery the same day as you. I finally sorted out my BoneSmart woes,I had 2 accounts. So I used to be CBH but now will be known as Tigerlily. I have had this week before surgery as a vacation week which has been a blessing/curse. Too much time to worry. I've been in a dark place all week, think that I am finally at a place of acceptance. I chose my OS, he's great, does 100-200 per year, I chose my Anestheologist, he wrote the Pain protocol for the joint replacements at the facility I am going to, I rented a GameReady ice machine which will be put on in recovery, I got a raised toilet seat with grab bars, I start my hibiclens showers tonight. I think I'll start my recovery thread tomorrow... I think just surrender and realize you have chosen well, the team does these procedures every day, just let them do what they do best, and we'll meet up on the other side, in recovery.:kayak:
 
You sound like u are nicely prepared. That was do smart of you. I don't kniw anesthesiologist. I'll meet him on Monday. My surgery is scheduled for 10:20 am. I am still in a dark place but am at a wedding so hopefully I will stop thinking about myself for a while. Good luck and will definitely see u on the other side.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
I'm glad you went to the wedding, it will keep you occupied today. Which hospital will you be at? If they don't feel you can go home alone they will arrange rehab I imagine, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, at least you would know you were safe. Just remember to take your phone with you so you can access Bonesmart!
 
I'm glad you went to the wedding, it will keep you occupied today.
I agree!! The closer I got to my BTKR surgery, the busier I became---it was a good type of "busy", too.
Being dependent on others takes some getting used to, but it's a life lesson.
Yes---, again, I concur---there are times after a TKR that we will need a little bit of assistance from folks---as independent as we like to be, this is a time for healthy help from others.
 
I found out Friday, that my OS prefers I take xeralta post-op to prevent blood clots, but my insurance may not cover it. I guess its $300 +. So he said the alternative is something I have to inject twice a day. Has anyone else heard this ? This is all because my insurance wouldn't cover the leg things that pump your legs.
 
I had the leg pump things in the hospital, but my insurance also did not cover going home with them. I inject something once a day (I hope it is once a day -time to go doublecheck!) for three weeks or so. No big deal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Sounds like my situation. Not crazy about needles, but to save the money.....
Gonna go read my pre-cleaning instructions. Thanx @Slainte. Hope everything is going well with you. (I've been kinda self-centered lately)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom