Guest viewing is limited

I hope this was the right decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it's possibly the one I have, which is made by smith & nephew. Sounds like they were willing to make the switch just based on your bringing up this concern?
 
Has anyone ever heard of titanium cup with plastic polyethylene liner. a ceramic femoral head and a titanium femoral stem? This is what I'm getting because of nickle sensitivity
@Ella61
Since that's a hip replacment device, you might get more response if you post your question in the Hip area.
 
They did switch just because of my concern but it's not a hip device. It's a knee
 
Has anyone ever heard of titanium cup with plastic polyethylene liner. a ceramic femoral head and a titanium femoral stem? This is what I'm getting because of nickle sensitivity
This is confusing to me. I've heard of a ceramic femoral head in hip replacements, but not knees. I'm not aware that any knee replacements have a cup. I could be wrong, so let's ask @Josephine .
 
Has anyone ever heard of titanium cup with plastic polyethylene liner. a ceramic femoral head and a titanium femoral stem? This is what I'm getting because of nickel sensitivity
You are? Then why are you posting in the knee forum? :scratch:

To answer your question, most stems and most cups (shells) are made of titanium, poly liners are commonplace as are ceramic heads. There are several hips that are modular, meaning there is a big range of types and sizes for most parts which the surgeon can choose from either preplanned or at the table.
 
I'm posting in knee section because this is knee I'm getting

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
I guess no one has heard of these components in knee replacement. Uh oh. Worried again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
I guess no one has heard of these components in knee replacement. Uh oh. Worried again.
I know it's hard, but try not to worry. What everyone says about any of the implants is that there are small differences, but you'll do well with any of them. I was just reading that @Rob 68 had the cruciate-retaining type, and I was thinking, "Maybe I should be having that...!" At some point you have to let go of that you can't control. That the most challenging thing about this whole experience is the loss of control. Wheels are in motion. At some point we have to go with it.
 
Hi @Ella61
It is so hard to stop worrying (from one who knows). I drove my self crazy trying to understand the differences. In the end I left it to the surgeon to make the best choice. I have never done this before in my life. Talk about loss of control but once I gave in it became a non issue. I wish you well
 
I didn't have a clue what thy were putting in my knee, guess I could check with the OS office. Unless you have an allergy I think the most important thing is that your OS has lots of experience with the replacement going in. I've read that they are all very similar.
 
I agree I just hope that I didn't jump the gun on this metal allergy. He was going to use a different one and now he is using one thst no one on bonesmart knows goes into knees. I hope it's not some experimental knee

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Os has lots of experience

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
No. I mentioned my worries and had an appointment but then he called and said he decided on this other knee which has no nickle
 
The vast majority of knee implants look like this:
[Bonesmart.org] I hope this was the right decision


There is no cup that I know of in a TKR implant---but I am willing to bet that the company that makes the hip implant also makes a TKR implant with the same metals.
 
Has anyone ever heard of titanium cup with plastic polyethylene liner. a ceramic femoral head and a titanium femoral stem? This is what I'm getting because of nickle sensitivity
@Ella61 - Help us here. We're trying to help you and answer your question, but the hardware you describe is not possible for a knee replacement. Please ask your surgeon the name of the device you are having inserted and then someone may be able to tell you their experience with it. You don't necessarily have to speak to him, but do phone his rooms and ask to speak to someone who knows what he uses - his nurse or PA should know.

You see, knee replacement devices do not have a cup, or a femoral head. Those things would be used to replace the socket in your hip and the top of you femur, where it joins your hip. Like this:
[Bonesmart.org] I hope this was the right decision
This shows the hardware used for a hip replacement.
[Bonesmart.org] I hope this was the right decision
This is what is used for a knee replacement. The femoral component has a short stem that goes up into the lower end of your femur. The rest of it covers the end of the bone, which will be cut to fit it.
There's a plastic-polyethylene spacer between the femoral and the tibial components, which has a slightly longer stem than the femoral component.
No cup and nothing on the femoral head. You see why we're confused?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I will call today

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
So I just got a message from my surgical educator. She said it is definitely a knee implant. Very long lasting, good for people who suspect metal allergy. She didn't leave the brand name, but I think I will leave it at that and just try to calm down and place it in their hands. I have to have faith at some point

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Yes, @Ella61. You do have to place your trust in your surgeon! I'm sure he's giving you the implant that is best for you! Good luck to you.....and try to relax! (Easier said than done. I know that only too well!)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom