Guest viewing is limited

I hope this was the right decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ella61,
I had my left knee replaced in Jan. 2015 and went back to work full time at 8 weeks.
My pre-surgery pain was all weight bearing pain such as standing, walking, etc.
I am 6 months out now and have absolutely no regrets! I had a great surgeon and a good recovery.
I am so grateful for the support I received here on Bonesmart.
Your pre-op jitters are absolutely normal, but I can tell you that the anticipation is much worse than the reality!
Best of luck to you. Just follow the advice you'll get here and you'll be fine!
 
Go ahead and get it done.
I waited far too long for my first knee replacement and it took me a long time to recover, because tendons and ligaments had distorted and I'd lost a lot of muscle strength.

I had my second knee done as soon as my surgeon said it was time, even though I only had trouble with stairs and walking long distances. I had a much easier recovery.
 
Another example - I'm almost 8 months out of BTKR and have just returned from a 3,000 mile, 3 week road trip in our small camper van. I had a great time, hiked, walked, climbed and scrambled over rocks. 9 months ago - I couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes, couldn't walk very far at all but I wasn't in a lot of pain because I had limited my life to avoid it.

You've made the right decision - we all go through the pre-op nerves and questions but, is it ever worth it in the end! You've come to the right place with your questions and concerns. We've walked the path before you and are here for you.
 
Maybe I've already waited too long I am worried because the pain has shifted from the actual knee to the muscles and ligaments running down my leg. Uh oh. I didn't know that they can distort
 
Another example - I'm almost 8 months out of BTKR and have just returned from a 3,000 mile, 3 week road trip in our small camper van. I had a great time, hiked, walked, climbed and scrambled over rocks. 9 months ago - I couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes, couldn't walk very far at all but I wasn't in a lot of pain because I had limited my life to avoid it.

You've made the right decision - we all go through the pre-op nerves and questions but, is it ever worth it in the end! You've come to the right place with your questions and concerns. We've walked the path before you and are here for you.

That is very encouraging news.


Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
@Ella61 - I was told 10 years ago, at the age of 48 that I needed knee replacements but I thought that was surgery they did on "old" people and refused to think about it. The next 10 years were consumed with cortisone injections, synvisc injections, arthritis medicine and I still had pain that eventually became crippling. I could tolerate the pain if I was inactive which began to cause more medical problems (weight gain, diabetes and high blood pressure). I finally had had enough on vacation last summer and consulted with an OS who told me it was time. I was desperate for anything to be able to return to an active normal lifestyle. I had my 1st TKR in November 2014, and my 2nd TKR 2 weeks ago. The first recovery was a piece of cake, this one has been a little more challenging. My point is after my 1st TKR I had finally gotten to the point were I can ride a bike 5 miles in 30 minutes, walk the mall without having to sit every few feet and basically go through the day without thinking about my knee. I suspect you alter a lot of your daily activities around your knee like avoiding steps, places that require a lot of walking and standing. Imagine being able to go through a day without the knees controlling your life. I realize I waited far too long to get the surgery done but I'm determined to make that time up once my 2nd TKR is healed.
 
Just today I had to go see a child that I am working with snd he lives on the 6th floor of a walk up. Up I went with my bag of toys one painful step at a time. Then I had to run to the store on my way home and had to think and re-think whether I wanted to struggle thru 20 mins of walking around. Now it's not my knee that hurts anymore, it's the muscles snd ligaments running up and down my leg. I hope I didn't wait too long for this surgery. 10 years ago I was told it was bone on bone. I guess I thought it was a badge of heroism or something stupid like that if I toughed it out. Now I am going in in two weeks. Time is starting to move a little too fast right now. I am working right up until the day before surgery. My point is that your point is well taken.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
I also worked/taught 1st grade right up until the day before surgery. I was fortunate that my house was outfitted for an invalid by the prior owner. There are some things you'll need to prep before your surgery in two weeks. If you don't want to shop for everything you can always get things on line. I believe there may be a list somewhere, but if you need to know just ask and any number of people will be able to answer.
 
Yes please. I need help. I was just going to wing it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Well, you need to know what type of icing you'll use. I was sent home from the hospital with an ice machine. It looks like a cooler with a hose attached and a Velcro cuff attached to that. Mine was electric and you filled it with ice and cold water,placed the cuff around your knee and cold water circulated. Others have large gel packs that stay in the freezer and mold to your knee nicely. I used them at PT and like them also. Icing will be huge part of your day and important to your recovery. I never thought to ice throughout the night, but many here have done that to alleviate the pain. Some have to purchase ice machines, while others were given as part of their insurance/hospital stay, so you may want to check with your dr. or insurance.

Also important, a raised toilet seat as it will be difficult to get up/down and some have handles to hold onto as you're getting up and down.

Elevating is crucial also. When I first came home some one was always with me and helped to arrange pillows to elevate me knee (toes above the nose). I found it most difficult in bed at night and plan to buy a wedge pillow for my LTKR. So make sure you have plenty of pillows handy for elevating.

I knew my family would take care of food for me. My sister went to the grocery store and another sister who wasn't working at the time stayed with me most days and brought or made me meals. Some people make meals ahead and freeze them. To be honest I didn't have much of an appetite for quite a while, but you do need to take pain meds with food, so having crackers or something handy is good.

Decide where you're going to hunker down. I have a club chair/ottoman that was command central. My sister set it up with tissues, remote control, phone, pen, iPad, lots of water etc. you do want to get up every hour or so to walk, but not rushing to get a phone call. Lots of TKRs have recuperated in recliners and have even slept through the night in the, as it seems to be very difficult to sleep or get comfortable in a bed. Even with a recliner, you'll need pillows to elevate the knee.

Comfy clothes are necessary and they have to allow easy access to your knee. No jeans or tight pants. I wore stretchy sleep pants for 4 months and even wore them with nice cardigans when I went back to teaching. Some ladies have found yoga pants or sweat pants good and there's always shorts at this time of year (but I was very happy to not see my knee even when it had a bandage on it).

I'm sure someone will add on to what I may have forgotten and there's probably an article on BoneSmart to help, but these were the most important things, along with a leg lifter. You can use a sheet to help lift your leg (I couldn't lift my leg on/off the bed, ottoman or into the car for a few weeks.

Ask any questions you can think of...
 
Thank u so much for all that info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Omg. Everyone is so organized. I don't think I have enuf time to prepare like that. I feel so overwhelmed and scared. Does your leg feel so heavy that it has to be lifted? Yikes! How long does that last? I'm lying in bed now lifting and bending my knee. No pain. Of course not standing yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
@Ella61 from my experience, I would tell myself to lift my leg, but the leg didn't lift. The surgery disconnects "stuff" such as nerves, muscles etc., then connects it all, so it takes a while for everything to work again. I didn't get lots of things before hand, but I knew I had family who would run for me. Also my sister had an ice machine I was planning to use, but didn't need to. I also didn't take the height of my bed into consideration. It is super high! My sisters and brothers-in-law had great fun making a wooden step for me to use to get into bed the day I came home.

Really icing and a higher toilet were most important. Thanks Celle for providing the link! I knew there was one somewhere!
 
Thanks to everybody for info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
I never had any problems with raising my leg with either knee. I was able to do this immediately out of the recovery room both times. I think some of it may depend on whether you have a regional block of some kind. I had general anesthesia both times and was fine.
 
I didn't have problems with raising my leg either. I was able to lift and do all kinds of things right away. Then the spinal wore off, and it was s lot harder. Took about a day to get it back. I had general anesthesia and a spinal.

You'll want a toilet riser, maybe a stool for the shower (unless your shower already has s bench), and a comfortable place to rest and sleep that isn't too low or too high to access comfortably. You'll want a way to easily ice.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I really struggled with this decision as well, and put it off until I realized that this was my only option unless I was willing to spend the rest of my life giving up more and more of what I wanted to do, and depending more and more on others to help me.

While I had seen a few things online from people who stated that they wished they had never had it done, I decided to approach it as a numbers game. Overwhelmingly, it appeared that the outcomes were positive, and I decided that I would do everything I could to control the factors that were within my control.

I was selective enough about my surgeon and the hospital to fly to another city to have it done even though there were surgeons available in the city near which I live. Part of what drove my decision is that the local hospital AND the local surgical center have a really poor track record for infections. The surgeon I went with was recommended to me (by a PA that worked for a local OS), and he said that this was all he did. He was board certified, he taught the procedure to others, he was the go-to guy to fix other surgeons' bad outcomes, and pursued continuing professional development. While I didn't know this at the time I made the decision, it turned out that four separate health-care providers I came in contact with at the hospital said he would be or had been their surgeon of choice for this procedure. He told me that he had done thousands of these, and had never had an infection. These were the factors I could control to stack the odds in my favor for a positive outcome.

I also educated myself about this as much as possible. I didn't find this site until after surgery, so you're ahead of the curve there. I ran across a random mention of metal allergies, recalled that I have sensitivities, mentioned it to my surgeon's nurse, and they changed the implant that was used due to that conversation. Having read up on it, I think the implant I received was a very good choice for me. Had I not had that reminder, I might have had to deal with an implant that was causing problems for me down the road. Another factor in my favor.

I picked my timing: both young adult children out of the house, one took the dogs with them, wrapped up a very busy work year, weather is favorable this time of the year (no ice to contend with). More factors in my favor.

Your factors will be different because your needs and circumstances are different, but if you approach it that way, you maximize your chances of coming out of this with a positive outcome. I accepted the fact that I might not make it through the surgery alive--minimal chance of that, but possible--and decided that this was a risk that I was willing to take. The limitations were affecting the way I lived. I used to be house-proud and did a lot of yard work, kept the house and garage and yard and woodpiles neat. Slowly over the years I gave up more and more, and turned a blind eye to how my mobility affected my quality of life. Over the last six months I did less and less grocery shopping, and finally started to make use of a pick-up service where the store did the shopping for me. Many times I would go out to eat at drive-throughs for lunch at work because I didn't have lunch-makings at home--the store trips were avoided. Yet I wouldn't use a riding cart--that was for old and crippled people.

There's a point where you just weigh things out, realize there are no guarantees, no absolutes, and make a choice to go for it or not. It sounds like you're there, and I congratulate you on having made the courageous choice. Fortune favors the bold.
 
How did u know u had a metal allergy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom