Guest viewing is limited

I hope this was the right decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ella61 I am having the same kind of thoughts and feelings Ella. However, I am determined to have a better life to enjoy my children and grandchildren in my senior years. (which is now LOL) I totally agree with Roy Gardiner and others who said "if your knee is dictating your life" it is time to do something. What a wonderful group of supportive caring folks here on this site. Soon it will be the first day of the rest of your life......a better life. Thinking of you Ella!!
 
In the hospital and rehab I had the leg pumps and Heprin injections (in stomach) twice day. The nurses wanted me to learn how to inject myself (they barely pinched) but even though it didn't hurt I couldn't inject myself. A friend who was helping me injected the Heprin once I got home. But truly (I'm a wuss about shots) they didn't hurt, I just had black and blue marks from the shots.
 
again we see how different the doctors are, mine had me take aspirin 325 mg twice daily as my blood thinner and I never had ted hose (I was happy about those!). the shots should not really bother you but they do leave lots of bruises!
 
Oh dear. Never heard anything about shots in stomach before. I think I will just close my eyes for a minute.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Truly, the shots were not bad. They come prepared and someone (or you) push into the belly. I barely felt the pinch and I am such a baby! When I had my 2nd surgery I cried the whole way to the hospital and my BP would rise every time the nurses mentioned pulling my drains or inserting my picc line. So when I say the Heprin wasn't bad, it really wasn't.
 
I'm sure none of the anti-clotting methods are bad, but I'm so thankful my OS subscribed to the aspirin regimen!
 
Pulling drains sounds awful also. I'm going to stop reading posts now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
So many here have had to give themselves injections. I'm pretty squeamish, so I'm glad my doctor had me take aspirin and wear the TED hose for three weeks. From what I've read here, though, the shots were no big deal. I don't recall reading that anyone had a problem giving them to themselves.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@ Lovestoread.....Can you please share with me how you are doing after both of your TKR in 2013? I would really
appreciate hearing from someone and how they are doing two years out. :) :) :)
 
@bionic1...I love the fact that your doctor gave you aspirin as opposed to Coumadin or whatever blood thinner they might of prescribed. I am going to ask my doctor if he can do that with me. Also, I noticed that you had your knee replacement in May....would you please share with me how you are doing now? I would love to hear from you!!
 
@Stefny, I would be happy to tell you how great I'm doing! I was fortunate in that I had a relatively easy recovery. I had my knees done six weeks apart and have recovered to the point where I seldom give my knees a thought. About the only time I think of them is when I have to get down to scrub the shower or something. Although I can kneel, I find the kneeling and rolling forward something that is unpleasant. Doesn't really hurt, but doesn't feel good, either. I'm basically able to do anything and everything I want. We spend quite a bit of time in the summer at our cottage on a lake. There I have a pedal kayak (with a recumbent bike motion) that I spend an hour to and hour and a half on once, if not twice, a day. Oddly, that was something I was always able to do, even when my knees were at their worst. Getting in and out of it was the hardest thing, but it's not a problem now. Also the trip to and from the lake is at least 10 hours, depending on traffic. It used to be very difficult for me. When I'd get out of the car I could hardly move! Now, I get out of the car and walk away!

I'm excited to say that I'll be heading to Walt Disney World later this week! We used to go once or twice a year, but have not gone in four years. I can't wait! I was hoping to go last summer, but just couldn't fit it in. Summer is the only time I can travel, as I work in a school and have summer off. Prior to my surgeries, I was beginning to think I would have to retire. Although I am not a teacher, I am still on my feet all day, walking from one classroom to the next…one end of the school to the other and on two floors. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I no longer feel the need to retire! :heehee:

I've always considered myself a walker and for 20 years, I probably logged 4-5 miles a day. Not sure if that's what wore my knees down, but I'm proud to say that I'm back up to that. I try to get to the gym several days a week (ok, I admit I've slacked this summer) and have not found anything there that I can't do. I no longer used as much weight as I did years ago, but also don't feel it's necessary.

Hope this helps! If you have anything specific that you want to know, don't be afraid to ask!
 
@Lovestoread......Thank you so very much for getting back with all of your positive feedback. Additionally, I am so happy that your knee surgeries have been successful and that you are enjoying life!!I am due to have a RTNR on July 28th. Unfortunately, things do not always seem to go well for so many on this site, that it really is refreshing to hear about such a nice recovery. Again, thank you. I am currently retired, actually due to knee pain and working 12 hour nursing shift. I am not a nurse however, I am what they call a Psychiatric Technician.....basically someone who works in the rehabilitation process of the mentally ill. I did pass medications, and did some minor treatments etc. in addition to running some groups. Overall, a satisfying career but glad to move on from that. I would like to however, work again doing something and I am hoping this knee surgery will help to facilitate that. :) If in fact, it is successful, I would like to have my left knee done as well however, it is not as bad as the right.
So hoping that you enjoy your trip to Disney World :) I live in California and we do enjoy Disneyland out here as well:) So very nice sharing with you, and thank you again for all of your positive input!!:)
 
Stefny, I am doing just fine, 9 weeks today. I am going to PT once per week, mostly working on strength now, all PT has been gentle and nothing ever past point of discomfort. I am a nurse and work 4 10 hour shifts per week, only 3 more weeks till I go back, where did all this time go?! I was hoping to be back at 8 wks but really don't have the stamina for 10 hour days at this point. but my ROM is good (122/3), hoping for better but willing to give it time. no pain now, some discomfort and stiffness. very little swelling, but there is still some there. I can walk without pain or a limp, I can ride a bike without pain. my leg had been bowed and is now straight. no regrets at al for having this surgery. I was starting to have problems on my left side (hip and heel pain) caused by the altered gait and I was starting to make decisions about "what to do in my spare time" based on how much walking or standing was involved. my OS said he has operated on lots of nurses and that he finds that waiting the full 12 weeks to return to work gives the best chance of being able to be on your feel all day, says at that time you "turn a corner". I am very happy with my recovery, I enjoy yoga and I am sure that there are some poses I will not be able to return to without modifications, but I had to modify them prior to surgery, so I expect that it will be more comfortable, even if I can never bend enough to sit on my heels again! oh, and I had 24 staples and they did not hurt at all coming out, I barely felt the drain being removed, and I was happy for the aspirin and for not having to wear ted hose (I am pretty compliant as far as doing what I should regarding medical stuff, but I am pretty sure I would have had ted hose off the second I got home!). I had surgery on a monday and was home wednesday afternoon. I iced and elevated like it was my job and I took those pain meds around the clock (only once did I forget to set an alarm for a middle of the night dose, and woke up in tears, you learn quick with this recovery!). I was lucky not to have any therapists push me to the point of pain, they were all of the mindset you see here. you do have to do some gentle exercises and increase as you go and you do have to walk around. but you can't do any of that if you don't control the pain and swelling. good luck in your recovery!
 
@bionic1 So very happy for all of your success with your knee surgery!! So appreciate hearing of your overall experience (and Lovestoread) as well. Being a nurse, I am sure you were an exemplary patient!! LOL Again, thank you so very much for your positive feedback. Next week, I will be having my right knee replacement and I am hopeful that I will be lucky enough to have a similar experience to yours! :)
 
@Stefny, you are very welcome! It seems forums like this attract people who are facing surgery and then those who are struggling afterwards. The vast majority of people recover nicely and just get on with their lives and no longer post. I chose to stay on and offer encouragement because I know how positive stories helped me through the journey. If I can offer any advice or helpful hints to someone, it's sort of like paying back for the wonderful advice I received two years ago. Best of luck to you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Stefny, I'm almost afraid to say how positive my experience has been for me, because I don't want to discourage people who haven't had as smooth a recovery. I have experienced a few aches and pains along the way, but I feel my recovery has been textbook or better. My more serious problem is my non-operative knee (looking forward to getting it replaced next year). I had my three month follow-up last week the day before my carpal tunnel release surgery (same doc), and after confirming the x-Rays on the new knee were great and summarizing all the awful things he saw on my old knee (including accurately telling me where it probably hurt), we spent the rest of our session going over my hand surgery.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I just got my call from the hospital. I Have to be there at 0630 Hrs. I'm glad it's early so I don't have sit around and think about it all day (without coffe !) I'm feeling pretty good about it now, but I've been stressed all week. I kept jumping on the bicycle today and riding around the neighborhood. Probably do it again later ! It's gonna be a while before I can do it. SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE
 
Best of luck to you tomorrow, @cpd599 ! Looking forward to hearing from you when you're on the other side.

Just noticed that you and I share birthdays! Go Leo!
-Julie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom