TKR I have a new knee!

Secret is finally out of the bag!
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Amazing news on two fronts, Nyland. Firstly, so happy to hear that your nephew in law is home. He has been through such a lot. That is excellent news :yes!:

And secondly, many many congratulations that you are expecting another grandchild :happydance: I know how you must be feeling right now, YAY :dancy: I feel excited for you :heehee: Your grandson is such a handsome young chap - look at those big blue eyes.

Ouch, sorry to hear that your left knee is now giving you such jip. Wondering why you can't tell us just yet the reason you can't have it replaced in the fall - oh well, we will just have to be patient (haven't we all learnt to be patient with our new knees - we are the gods and goddesses of patience :heehee: ) and wait until the first week of April.

In the meantime, can you get some painkillers from your doctor?
 
Hi Kathy,
I can't figure out the fall time frame because of the new baby arriving. I don't want to miss any part of this miracle. This will be my daughter's second, and you know how that can be a bit unpredictable. I defend my dissertation on August 18th, then September is my son's and daughter's birthdays. Maybe the middle of September or beginning of October will be safe....but, again, I don't want to miss a thing. I may just wait until January and then recover throughout the winter months that I hate tremendously. I did talk to my OS's assistant yesterday, and I expect that I will have a date this week. I have a feeling that she thinks January will be the safest and least stressful, too. Now, I'm going to go check out your pictures. HUGS!!!!
 
Oh I can well understand your reasons for putting your LTKR off until January. Don't blame you one little bit for not wanting to miss out on anything - life is too short and we want to take it all in - eat it all and digest it :)

My convalescent spread over the end of the summer and the winter months. Must admit if I had to do it again, I would opt to recover in the spring/summer months. Recovery can be very depressing, as we now know and I think the long dark nights worsens it. I would far prefer to do this during the longer light months.

But then again, it means you won't have to go out much during the bad weather - stay in in the warmth and comfort of your own home being nice and cosy. Pros and cons for both, I suppose.

xx
 
By the way, I was wondering earlier how your surgery buddy, Michael is doing now. Guessing he must be doing well as we haven't heard from him at all in a long while.
 
Hi Kathy,
I wonder about Michael all the time, too. He was doing so fantastic, that i think he just went off to live his new pain free life.
I couldn't agree with you more about recovering during the warm =, sunny months. This time, I just can't make it work, though. My summer is filled with finishing school, then the new baby, then I don't want to miss my baby's first Thanksgiving or first Christmas. So, I'm trying to convince myself of a few things. Maybe my recliner, a fire, my computer and a few good books will be a nice way yo hibernate the cold and snowy months.....and maybe the 2nd knee will be a tad easier because i know what to expect? The funk won't scare me this time, so that in itself is huge. I won't even have that stupid machine delivered to my house and won't start in home PT until the beginning of week 3. The BIGGEST thing isI will make sure my OS agrees to a pain management plane for months 2 and 3 if I need it. If I hibernate, I will definitely take a full 3 months off. No falling on the ice for me. One thing I know for sure, I will vent away, and god friends like you, Jacky, Gale, Sonja, kneeler, Sandy, and all the others will be there to remind me that this is definitely worth it and to vent away. Venting can make you forget how uncomfortable you are. :heehee:
How is your beautiful grandson and daughter doing?
HUGS!
 
I have been using the KeloCote that was recommended by one our BS friends. WOW! She was truly on target. My bumpy, purple keloid scar is looking less scary. I love this place!
 
YOU


You're definitely right about Michael, Nyland. Still, would be good to hear from him.

Oh you can be sure that all your BS friends will be here for you, as always, when you have your left knee done. And you are so right when you say you will be more prepared because you will know this time round what is what. I know you are going to sail through this next recovery :thumb:
 
Good morning, Bonsmartie friends! So, my new knee has passed the 8 month mark and feeling fantastic. Even though I still have a bad left knee, I can definitely get around better. Boy what a difference one good, strong, pain-free knee makes.
About my left knee, sometimes it reminds me that I can't WAIT to have it replaced. Last night was one of those knights. I was up the ENTIRE night with knee pain in my OLD knee. I did what I used to do pre right knee replacement. I moaned and groaned, tossed and turned and got up every hour. My husband told me that he honestly thought that those days were over. I haven't done that since my bed dread night, just after surgery. Even then it was only when I rolled over and the no sleep was just something that goes with the territory. However, before my TRKR, this was a nightly event. I told my left knee that I plan on having him replaced. (Yes, at this point my delightful new right knee is a a part of my new womanhood and the left knee is just a pesty outsider!) I explained that I just have to wait a few months so that I don't miss out on the important things, but he's not listening. What a night. I took 4 extra strength tylenol (they scare me and I don't like to take them) and 4 advil during the day (to get through Easter) and during the night and Mr. Left knee was still not a happy camper. I feel like a am straddling this board. A satisfied, happy replacement patient, and a patient dealing with a decrepit old knee that fusses loudly at night. I just can't wait to have it done. Those of you who I have known since my TRKR surgery must be giggling, thinking, "Atta girl, after all that complaining after your surgery, you are finally normal." To those that missed that complaining me (lucky you!!!!!) 2 things. The tough recovery gets better, and then it becomes a blessing.
Have a great day. Mondays are soooo busy. I hope my left knee cooperates and that I don't fall asleep in my office. :heehee:
 
Owwwie Nyland, that old knee doesn't sound happy at all! Luckily my old knee is doing okay. It just acts up here or there, nothing too often. Congrats on the new grandbaby, how exciting! Hoping your day goes smoothly and the fatigue doesn't beat you up too much! Hugs!
 
Hi Nyland, I can't believe I lost track of you my friend! Congratulations on your 8th month anniversary! Wow 8 months, where does the time go! I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your new knee!:friends:

I'm glad to hear that your pup is still behaving and no longer lusting after your hubby!:heehee: Never give up your man, especially if he's a good one!:) I hope your bite mark has healed and all is well with your knee!

I am so happy about you being a grandma again, and your handsome little grandson is adorable, he'll make a fine big brother!:thumb:

I'm so sorry your left knee is giving you grief, and it's to bad you couldn't get it done now because by the time your new grandbaby comes you would be well on your way in recovery. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Would wearing some kind of knee brace, especially while you sleep so you could at least get some kind of reasonable rest? I remember that god awful pain prior to my replacements, and some times the brace would help and some times not! I hope your "pesty outsider" left knee starts to behave itself so your not in constant pain my friend! I hope you get a better nights sleep tonight kiddo!:console2:
 
Gale and Jacky...group hug!

Thanks, Gale! I wasn't at all tired today. I was so busy. Best part of Mondays are that they go by so fast. How are you doing? How is your new knee doing?
You know, Jacky, I just this second said that to my husband. I told him that I wish that I could figure out how to get this done this week! :rofsign:His knees are horrible, too, but will not have them done until he retires. It looks like it will have to be January. Oh well. New year, new knee. Thanks for reminding me about the brace, though. I think I will dig them out and give it a try. The little boy has been fantastic, but my bite still looks pretty bad. I asked my ER doc friend if it looks like it is turning into cellulitis. It is a round (about the size of a dime) HOLE. It has not scabbed or healed. I have an appointment on Friday with my PCP to look at it. I haven't rescheduled my OS appointment because I want this healed first. My husband (a paramedic first responder) told me to take the bandage off. I think he is right, but I'm so afraid that infection will invade the hole. All of that being said, everything is quite well here. After I defend my dissertation, let's grab our guys and meet at Mohegan.
Have a great night everyone!
 
What subject did you choose for your dissertation? You have a very full plate, but for the most part it sounds like things are going well! :)
 
Patient Ethics Consult Integration in the Patient Centered Medical Home - Dream or Reality
 
Wow - that was a mouthful! I'm sure you'll do great in your defense of it (whatever that means?) :umm:

Even though my winter is nothing compared to yours, I found that I didn't want to ice my 2nd tkr so much because the weather was cold, even though I was in a warm house. I'm cold all the time anyhoo, so it may just be me. The only other negative with my 2nd was lack of patience - it seemed that it took sooo much longer to recover from than the first, but in hindsight I believe it was about the same.

I tell you, having two new shiny knees after years of limping, pain & a body out of whack is FANTASTIC! I'm just now attempting dressy shoes with a low heel, and hitting the treadmill most nights for a brisk 1 mile uphill walk. I feel great and I know that you will too. Make sure you keep us informed - we care.
 
Thanks, Tracey! I actually already put it off because of my last surgery and my job transition. Boy, am i glad that I did. Sure, physically I could have done it, but I was an emotional mess. Looking back, it is almost funny. I felt sad, down, I cried at the drop of a hat ...I kept thinking that it was something that I just had to shake off, but it wasn't like feeling troubled or stressed...I was just on some emotional roller coaster that I wanted to get off.......I am so glad that I put it off, but i can't again. The dean sent me a letter and told me it must be done before the fall semester.
I am always cold, too. It is freezing in NE you lucky sun goddess! I'm thinking that it will feel good to hibernate in a nice warm house.
After I finally finish and then have my left knee replaced, I think I'll take a nice break and just enjoy life before I start a new bucket list of goals.
Thank you for being such a kind and helpful cheerleader. I'm so lucky to have you on my journey, too!
 
Pleased you have a date Nyland. My OS appointment is November and I hope to have an appt early January so we can be 2nd TKR buddies. Heres to 2014.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
Nyland's going to have a second new knee in 2014. What a great way to start a new year off. And this time you'll know what to expect---maybe the blues won't hit so hard the second time around.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Back
Top Bottom