TKR I have a new knee!

Aw Nyland, thank you so much for the kind compliment! :blush: I do remember when you first started out, and you were not in a happy place! I so felt for you and wish I were there to give you some much need hugs! :console2: But look at you now, you are 7 months into it and you are in a happy place! :yay: Oh my dear, you did not cry for nothing, this is not an easy task we take on, however it is a necessary one in order to maintain a quality life, so sing away my little bird! :heehee: I love musicals too! :)

Stay well kiddo and let us know when you seek out your new knee #2! :friends:
 
A second knee replacement, Nyland? Well,
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
! I'm just so happy that you finally reached the point with the first that you'd go for the second. We'll all be here to help you through this one, too.


Take care--keep us posted---we care. [Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Thanks, Judy. I have a few things on my "to do" list before I schedule my surgery.
1. Have a pain medication plan in place with my OS. I'm having that conversation at my appointment in March.
2. I wanted my RTKR to feel like nothing....and, I'm pretty much there. I rarely feel the tightness that I thought would never go away.
3. Enjoy the summer in the pool with my grand kids and go on a fun family vacation. With the short NE summers, and my 7/25/12 surgery date, I missed half of the summer.
4. Schedule my dissertation defense for the summer. (everything is accepted and completed)
So, I'm thinking it would be great to sneak in the TLKR right after we close the pool.
Oh, and maybe we can meet Jacky48 and Norm at Mohegan Sun as my last adventure before the next recovery.
I learned a lot this time around. The most important thing was that it is a longer than I'd prefer recovery. I expected pain and didn't have nearly as much as I expected, but what blindsided me was not ever being able to get comfortable, bed dread, feeling depressed and weepy for no good reason, and never really sleeping, but always falling asleep. Next time, I'll know it is a long ride and will try to enjoy some of it. I definitely will not go back to work 33 days after my surgery, and I will remind myself often that gentle stretches will get me where I want to be. See? I really learned a lot! Knee number 2 will be a breeze. :rofsign:
 
Yes, Nyland, you will be an experienced knee replacer for your second op :heehee: Seriously, you will know what to expect the second time around. We will all be here for you with support, comfort and advice :thumb:

You have a good plan there - well organised.
 
Hi Nyland, It sure looks like you're ready and on the holding platform for a late summer, early fall for your second new knee!:thumb: I'm glad you're planning on taking it a little slower for the return to work the next time, :yay: for you kiddo!
Now, the casino "meet up" sounds like fun, we still haven't gone since my bilat, so I look forward to that!

Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Uh oh! My dog (8 pounds) just BIT me. Right leg,1 inch to the left, 4 inches below the bottom of my scar. He broke the skin and it is still bleeding. I cleaned it and put bacitracin on it. Am I in trouble for infection?
 
Nyland, glad to see you! Good luck with the upcoming new knee. You were such an encouragement to me right after I had my surgery. :)
 
I would get it checked with a blood test tomorrow Nyland, never leave it to chance, it'll just drive you crazy! Besides if it is an infection the sooner you catch and treat it the better! Please let us know what happens! I care my friend!
 
Thanks, Jackie. Yes, I will definitely do that. I feel so conflicted. My husband loves that dog so much. All I did was walk in the room, and somehow it's my fault that the little jerk bit me.
 
The 8 pound beast hates me because he wants to be the wife. He barks and growls at me if i talk or even move. (only when my husband is home, when it it is just me and the little beats, he is sweet as can be.) Tonight was over the top bad even for him. I walked into the room, and he BIT me. Now he is sitting on my husband's lugs, happy as a clam. :hairpulling:
 
I say, time for the little beast to go! I don't know how old he is, but they do develop dementia like people, however if he has always been like this he could be gay and he doesn't appreciate sharing your husband with you! :shrug: :heehee: Silly animal!
 
Your husband should have disciplined the dog in a way he would never do it again. Dogs are very smart and they know what they are doing. If your husband wont do it ... them you do it. Next time he barks or growls at you cuff him hard enough that he knows you mean business. I guarantee he will never do it again. You are the alpha not him and he needs to learn. Please trust me this works!
 
He will be 4 in June. He thinks he is the great protector and he has a pecking order. He loves the kids. My daughter and daughter in law thought he was adorable before they had children, and now they hate him. He goes nuts when the mothers take his babies. He's tried to bite both of them when they were taking the kids home. Thank goodness he didn't bite through their jeans. My husband makes excuses and thinks he is super awesome for protecting the babies and even brags about how much he loves them. After the babies, he loves his dad. I'm so mad at both of them right now.........
 
Thanks, sadknee. I am a little afraid of the little creep. How should I cuff him? I'm thinking of getting a pillow-puff suit to wear in my own house. He went to training school and was awarded a good citizen award. Yeah, right. He's just smart and passed the tests. My husband brought him and he is an angel with him. Time to go to bed .....the 3 of us. :doh:
 
Nyland, I so feel for you! :console2: No one should fear any animal in their own home, just think when your grand babies get older and decided to go for one of his dog toys, they usually don't like that either after all he is already attacking your grand babies parents. That little demon wouldn't come near my bed until he understood who's boss, that's for sure! The saying is if they bite once, they will bite again, that's why my daughter got rid of a rescue dog she got a month or so ago, he attacked my youngest granddaughter (10 yrs old) he was gone that day, back to the rescue place to be put down, sad but necessary!
 
Nyland,
I am a breeder of Great Danes, need I say much more. When you have big dogs they need to know there place right away. When I have a litter of puppies they don't even get away with that behavior in the whelping box. By your husband (or anyone else) not correcting the bad behavior and just letting it go the dog is learning nothing, and the way your husband treats him he is actually rewarding the bad behavior. You need to get control now, and I mean NOW, or get rid of the beast. There is no excuse for that kind f behavior what so ever, and please be careful with him around the little ones.
 
Oh dear, so sorry to hear your dog bit you, Nyland and hope you got it checked out with a doc.

Heavens, the dog does sound like a beast and bad to have around you. Sorry, but shame on your hubby for not scalding the dog and letting him know he was in the wrong! This problem needs to be nipped in the bud before the dog does any serious damage.
 
Nyland it sounds as if he has tried to claim your husband as his territory and is exerting his dominance. I'm so sorry, it would have been frightening enough to be snapped at but to actually have been bitten must be terrifying! My best friend has a Karin Terrier (like Toto from Wizard of Oz), and he has become very dominant over her and aggressive of anyone who gets too close to her. He has bitten a number of members of the family.

I hope your husband understands that this was not an accident and if not addressed, it will not only continue but it could get worse. Dogs are pack animals and will naturally establish a pecking order. If this dog feels as if he is the alpha of your pack (you and your husband), then he will continue to act as the pack leader.

I don't know what options you have in your area, but we have several behaviorists around here that offer support and advice. (Think Cesar Milan type strategies.) We used Bark Busters for our Whippets years ago and learned SO very, very much! We had no idea that we were actually allowing our boys to display dominance throughout the day. Eating from our hands (treats), walking through doorways or up stairs in front of us, walking up to us and getting attention, leading us while on a leash were just a few. Once we learned how to gently stop those dominate behaviors, they saw us as the pack leaders and our house was so much more peaceful!

We hadn't thought to seek the advice of dog behaviorists on our own, it was suggested by our vet. If nothing else, you can call your vet to seek some advice and hopefully they'll have some suggestions for you and enforce for your husband that this is not something that you want to ignore.

I hope your knee and bite wound are looking ok and feeling a little better today. I agree with calling the doctor to see if antibiotics are necessary.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom