TKR I have a new knee!

I know that you are ALL right. I'm not sure what to do. We had a gentle giant newfy for 12 years. He was 3.5 when we rescued him. He was the sweetest, kindest, most obedient baby boy on this planet. When he died, it was my decision to get a small dog. I felt so bad that I couldn't carry my baby boy when his legs gave out. I just didn't want to be put in that position again. I decided I needed to stay small. My nephew died of an asthma attack, so decided a poodle would be safest for the (and future) kids........tada the toy poodle. What a mistake. It is just the 2 of us right now and he's a little angel. He can only have one friend at a time, I guess. I'm going to try to find a training camp. The thing is, I don't like him much, but I do love the little beast. This really is a weirdo problem, to say the least. He has his own carseat and dvd headrests. He watches Clifford videos in the car and cartoons during the day. Maybe I should get a "Scared Straight" video.
I took a picture so that when i call my surgeon's office asking for prophylactic antibiotics, Kathy knows what I'm talking about. I already texted my PCP last night. She said that I just had my tetanus, so I should see what my OS says. She said that she would stop by my office on her way to class today to take a look. It is still bleeding. I'm just worried about my knee and infection.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
    bite.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 136
Aw Nyland, I can see why you're worried that booboo doesn't look good at all, I worry for you my friend! :console2: Please let us know how you make out!

Take care! :console2:
 
My OS is calling in antibiotics. I have a call into the vet. Until we can get the beast trained for good, maybe she will prescribe ant-biting medication. Sounds nuts, but training will take more than a few minutes, and in that time he could bite again. I asked her to give him Prozac at his 1 year appointment, and she got mad. I expect her to scold me, but it was the best I could think of for short term help. Thanks, Jacky!
 
I'm glad you're being so pro-active. You are right this needs to be addressed and that it won't happen over night. However, for us, we found that being consistent with our dogs worked VERY quickly. It was harder for US to remember what to do and not do, than it was for the dogs to adjust to it. Once we were on board, we saw big changes quickly.
It will be interesting to hear what the vet suggests if she is opposed to medication.
 
The little beast will certainly learn faster than my husband. I found a behavioral trainer that will come to the house every weekday for 6 weeks. He will train and then reinforce with us when we get home. I just don't know how soon this can happen. Waiting for a call or an email to schedule. Vet hasn't returned my call. I know she will say, "No way!" I am on augmentin 500 mg, 3 times a day for 2 weeks.
 
Hey Nyland I think you are going to see big changes with your pooch after this training. Flea came home the same day I did from my LTKR. We knew from the day he was born, that in 6 weeks he would be coming home for good. Jose, my husband, spent that 6 weeks on the computer daily watching videos on Youtube on behaviorial training your dog. Let me tell you it really works and the dogs do pick it up really quickly. I think after this training you are going to be able to enjoy this little one again.

Wow, and good luck with surgery #2! I can't even go there yet. LOL Hugs!
 
In the meantime get a crate you can keep him in. He is small you can always get a broom and sweep him into the crate. If he gets aggressive give him a good swat with the broom until he settles down that way you don't have to let him get near you. Also you can give him Benadryl. There are sites that give the proper doses for dogs.

Another tip would be to have you be the ONLY one that feeds him ever. He will soon learn you are the alpha. When he growls your husband should reprimand him and put him into the crate.

Your bite looks bad and I am so sorry you had to go through this right now. Please take care. Hugs to you!!
 
Hello, friends! Thanks so much for all of the well wishes. My bite is still bleeding, but just a little bit when I change the bandage. I had to fight with my vet for medication for the dog. Originally, she told me that she would put him on meds while he was in training. I did everything that I was supposed to do. I made the appointment with the world famous (and expensive) animal behaviorist, Dr. Dodman. Once everything was done, the deposit was paid and all of the paperwork filed, I called the vet office and asked if there were meds for me to pick up on my way home from work. The girl that answered the phone told me that the vet had reviewed the chart, but didn't feel comfortable prescribing. Oh my goodness, I was mad! I told her to give the vet the message that I was livid. She said that she would. Then the vet called. She told me that she apologized that I heard the news the way that I did. I told her there was no problem with the delivery, but I had a huge problem with the news. I told her that I now did not trust her. I reminded her that she told me that she would provide medication until the training worked. She said that she didn't feel comfortable with that. Can you see the smoke coming out of my ears? I told her that I didn't feel comfortable living with a dog that bites me. I told her that I asked her for doggie prozac at his 1 year appointment and she scolded me. I told her that i have always known that his wires didn't connect properly, and most people that know him think the same thing. (including her doggie day care staff that love him to pieces.) I told her that since he bites, I didn't feel comfortable giving him away, so she was putting me in the position of considering to have him euthanized. (Our appointment for training with the magic doctor isn't until June.) While she tried to butter me up and be nicey nice, (Big customer, our dog also attends her doggie daycare ...lower level of the animal hospital.....and happens to be her dog's best friend that also plays there during the day.) I was looking online for a new vet. Finally she asked me what I would like her to do, and I told her that I really didn't care what she did because I was looking online for a new vet. THEN she said that she would prescribe, and what did i want a long term medication or a short term tranquilizer? I told her long term and she said she would prescribe prozac, but we wouldn't even be able to tell if it worked for at least 6 to 8 weeks. I asked her what side effects to watch for. She had the audacity to tell me that this was the safest med for dogs and there were no side effects. THEN she told me that some of her patients told her that they see a great improvement in a couple of days. I really wanted to climb through the phone and pinch her! So, I went to the pharmacy every day and no prescription......a few more calls...and Yes, doggie prozac. We saw a BIG difference right away. He is a new, happy little boy who isn't at all anxious and afraid of every little noise. He doesn't bark and growl at me, instead he snuggles. His sister even invited him to come play at her house with her baby on Saturday and said that he was an angel and a joy. Never acted afraid and never barked at her. (He used to bark and growl at her when she attended to HIS baby..her son.) Right now he is nestled by my side, happy as a clam. So, I was right all along, the poor little man needed help. We have a 3 month prescription. I will have Dr. Dodman give us many refills and that will give me time to find a new vet. She was a wonderful, compassionate vet for our very old newly, but I don't trust her anymore. I wouldn't go to someone that went back on their word and was willing to abandon me.
So, that's the doggie scoop. I feel like I have a brand new little love.
Again, thank you so much for your love and support. It was a stressful couple of weeks.

Jackie, guess where we went on Saturday? Yup, Mohegan Sun. We went in the afternoon,and it was so crowded we left went to a restaurant by home. Saturday was a bittersweet day. It was our anniversary and it was also my sister's birthday. As much as I love my husband, it is always a tough day for me. BUT, here's a giggle...I had a glass of champagne. I looked at my husband and told him I was drunk. We laughed like 2 fools. It was fun and I could walk and walk and walk. I did take a couple of advil for my left knee.It's funny that when you have one good knee, you can actually walk.

Natalie, with all of your pain and troubles, how sweet and compassionate of you to check in on me. How are you doing, my friend? I will have to catch up on so many threads.

Gayle, how are you doing? How's your knee? Thank you for the suggestions and support. You are such a sweetheart! Another thread that i must catch up on. i hope that I read all good news.

Sadknee, thank you for the advice. I think that you are right. I wondered if the pill made him feel better and since i gave it to him, he was now my friend. I will only feed him from now on. Thanks again for the tip!

Kneeper, as always, thank you. I feel your hugs.
 
Nyland, I'm so glad things are going so much better for you and you new little love! Good for you for standing up for your new little pup! And good for you for looking for a new vet! :thumb:

I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves at Mohegan Sun, we have yet to go!

Stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Hello Nyland!

I am just catching up with some of my old friend's threads! Sorry to hear about the dog situation. My BIL had rescued a Basenji, from a rescue shelter. Pharaoh had two back toes missing from the previous owners kids tying string around them and cutting them off! Anyway, off course he didn't trust people but the rescue shelter worked with him and when Dale adopted him things seemed to be ok. Then Deanna my sister married Dale and Pharaoh started biting. He bit her, dale's sister, and brother. When we came down for a visit, they were living on the second story of an apartment building and Pharaoh tried to run as soon as he saw the door was open. Mom was between him and the door and she reached down to stop him and he bit her between the thumb and adjoining finger. I went after him and stopped him. I was the only one who could control him. I could take him for walks or whatever. He knew I meant business! Of course I had lots of experience that the rest of my family didn't! I was a lion tamer of 7th graders! :wink: :rotfl:
 
Oh wow, Sonja. Sorry about your mom's bite. So glad that you were there to help. Jack is a little different, I think. He is super obedient, and is an angel when he is with just me, or just anyone....as soon as my husband is added to the mix, he thinks he has to protect him. A toy poodle protecting a grown man and not a tiny grown man. :whistle: His problem, I think, was that he wanted to be married to my husband and is dream would be .....just the 2 of them riding into the sunset.....I always thought that there was just not something right with him, like his wires weren't connected. Since the prozac, he is a love. No odd behavior, not lusting after my husband, and he likes me. OK, so I had to medicate him to like me, but meds are so much better than the alternative.......He's been to 2 obedience classes, and aces them. He is going to the magic (expensive) behavior vet in June. As for his own, vet, I'm still not sure what I am going to do about that.......
Anyway, GREAT to *see* you! You are always so up, helpful, friendly, and funny. HUGS!
 
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee! Nyland, will Jack still be medicated when he goes to the magic behavior vet in June? Or will you take him off meds for that to see if can be trusted off meds? I understand that poodles are very smart dogs, so not surprised he aced obedience classes. Used to watch a lot of The Dog Whisperer (can't think of his name) and from what you've said, it seems that it's your husband who needs training in how to be a proper pack leader and see to it Jack behaves with everyone else when your husband is present. But I am certainly no expert about dogs since I am a cat person through and through.

However, I'm glad the medication is working and life is peaceful for the whole family. How's the knee doing---still behaving itself?

Take care and keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
You know, Judy, in the beginning, that was the plan...BUT, I honestly and truly believe that it is a physiological thing and his meds make him feel better so he can enjoy life more. He has been so good and so happy. He turned from a best into a happy snuggle bug. My husband has also been a very good boy. :yay: Back to the meds, they don't sedate him, so I'm torn. I wouldn't want to take a patient off of meds that they need to feel better.........so, I'm not sure....I'll let you know.
 
BTW, my nephew in law is home. Yes, the man that was in a coma and on life support for 80 days, on dialysis, plasmapheresis, on the brink of death and given a less that 10% hope of survival walked up the stairs to his house with just a cane. He can go up and down the stairs inside his house as many times as he wants. He can take care of all of his own personal hygiene. He is still eating yogurt , pudding, and mushy food. They discovered that he had a stroke while in the coma and is relearning how to swallow with PT and OT. He is a miracle, for sure. :angel:
 
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
God is great and life is good. What a wonderful outcome for such a seemingly dismal beginning. I am delighted for your niece and her husband and you, Nyland, and the rest of the family. In this ever so cynical world, it is good to know that miracles really do happen, and they happen to us.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Oh my goodness, do I NEED my left knee replaced! My left knee was so bad today, that it made it clear how much better my life will be once it is over and done with. My plan to have it replaced in the fall, won't work. I can't tell you why until the first week in April. ;D So, I'm thinking/hoping maybe the day or week after Christmas. That way I will be there for everyone that needs me and won't miss the important stuff. I wish I had it done already....but, oh well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom