Guest viewing is limited

TKR I have a new knee!

Interesting theory, Nyland. I never heard that about magnesium. If your digestive system reacted badly to antibiotics I think Nanners is right, you could have lost some essential elements--or at least not had time to absorb them.
 
Nyland, I take Metagenics Magnesium Glycinate. I know some magnesiums are not absorbed very well, but I can't remember which ones, although I know the glycinate is absorbed well. If you have been having a lot diarhea and also on antibiotics I would take a good probiotic every day and alternate between two different brands each month. That will help rebalance the flora in your gut.
 
Thanks everyone. Lisa, Gail put me on probiotics right away. I am still taking them. I am taking Flora 50 billion and acidophilus.
 
Hey Nyland,

I know that you have really good bend on your knee, but you still have an issue with extension. I believe I read in someone else's post that your extension is at 9. What does your doc say about that? Does he believe that it will improve over time or is he concerned.

I am 3 mos out right now and my bend is always around 12. I have gotten it to 11 in the last week and when I first started PT the first measurement was 10 and after he put heat on it got it 7. But ever since then it has gone up. I kinda wonder if its something my therapist is doing that aggravates it and makes it worse. I have a different therapist now than I did on the first visit.

Anywhoo, can you tell me what your doc says about it? Or even your therapist? Thank you so much!

Hugs
Gail
 
My OS was over the moon with my progress. he said that it takes a good year, but everything is on track.
I asked him why my new knee was bigger, and he said over the next year things will go back to normal, but my new knee just may always be bigger. Oh well.
 
So he was not concerned with your extension at all? Well thats good to know. I am starting to wonder if my PT is hurting something becuz since I started PT with her my extension has gone the other way instead of improving. Thanks for your thoughts!
 
I am 3 mos out right now and my bend is always around 12. I have gotten it to 11 in the last week and when I first started PT the first measurement was 10 and after he put heat on it got it 7. But ever since then it has gone up. I kinda wonder if its something my therapist is doing that aggravates it and makes it worse. I have a different therapist now than I did on the first visit.

I talked to my PT today about the extension. Mine is at 9 as of last Friday. I asked how he felt that was and he said that the ultimate goal is to get it to 0 but 9 is just fine for now. He also mentioned that if we are working on Flexion that the extension won't go away as quickly and that if we tried to work on extension that the flexing would go backwards right now. He said that we don't need to worry about extension right now and that I can do some slight stretching but not to do much so that I would not hinder the flexing.

Also, I had been there in Feb for the PT after my last arthroscopic surgery and he told me today that my bend and extension are better than they were when I was there back then so even though it's not great, it's better than before suregery. So that's good, right?
 
Gail,
Not at all concerned. he was thrilled!
My PT said that my hamstrings were tight. He massaged and they were better. He told me to massage my hamstrings. Easier said than done. :heehee:
 
So just to clarify Nyland. He believes that within more healing time the extension will improve? Am I reading that right?
 
Yes, that's how i interpreted it. Once I stopped worrying about having the surgery, I was totally at peace about my decision. Then there was that huge piece of recovery.....that's what most of us vent about. After that, once I stopped worrying abut every little measurement, my quality of life improved. Does that make sense?
 
Yes it does. I just hope and pray that the same will happen with me. I just don't think I need any extra treatments to be honest. I believe that in some ways PT is making things worse for me. Since starting PT yes my bend has improved and I notice things improving (slowly), but the extension has just gone the other way. I think if I could do some gentler exercises maybe I would move back into the right direction. She does this one exercise with me that is extremely uncomfortable and the next day I am sooo sore. I do get better extension measurements afterwards, but I wonder if its hurting me at the same time. Does that make sense? LOL Anyways thank you for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate it. Hugs!
 
Quick question to everyone....has anyone had a very localized burn feeling on the right side, under knee? I've had it every now and then for the past month or so. It is not a pain, it is a sensation. It comes and goes. The reason I am asking tonight, is because I notice that it stays longer....now, when i say longer, I don't even mean a minute...I'm wondering ifthis is a sign of nerves waking up? It is still numb on the right side of my knee. I felt it twice while I was typing this. Once for about 20 seconds or so, and the 2nd maybe a half second. Anyone? Have a good night.
 
Nyland, I don't get that feeling per say. I am now 6 months out and when I read your message I made a point of touching the right side of my right knee to see what the sensation was and I can say that the numbness is less than it was say a month ago. I asked my OS at my last exam about the numbness and he said "oh you will always have that!", but it seems to be less for me on both knees, as time goes on. So, in my opinion it could be your nerves waking up, and you will know in time if you get more feelings in that area. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
 
I think you may be right, Jacky. I just said that to my husband! I've been telling him about this sensation, and he gives me that concerned look. I have to assure him it is a sensation and not a pain. Then I touched the right side and said that it seems to be a little less numb. My OS said the same thing about the numbness, that it may never go completely away. On the same topic of what won't go away. I asked him when my bulky new knee would go back to the shape and size of my pointy knee and he said never.
How are things? Are the kids coming for the holidays?
 
I ask my OS about the bulky knee too and got the same answer, however I'm seeing a difference 6 months down the road. I guess they don't know everything! :heehee:

Things are going well with me so far. We will be spending Christmas with our son and his family, unfortunately our daughter will not make it back to Connecticut for Christmas, but we were lucky to spend Thanksgiving with her and her girls.:)

How have you been? Do you have special plans for the holidays?
 
I'm doing really well, thanks. Our Christmas is small, but special. Its just us, the kids, my parents, and the grandkids. All that matters. Christmas Eve here, Christmas morning Papa and i make the rounds to see the babies open their gifts, and then we usually rush back home to host dinner. This year once we get to my daughter's, it will be the end of the road. She is hosting this year. I love to do it, but was more than happy to let her do it this year. She just sold her house and is moving to a small town in January. Same distance from us. She'll have a nice kid friendly neighborhood and SEVEN bedrooms. Her dream house. Papa just hopes the they fill the bedrooms with lots of grand babies!
 
Sounds like you have a great time coming, not only this Christmas, but also for years to come according to papa. I was happy when our son and his wife took over the Christmas dinner as well! He loves to cook and does a great job of it and this way their kids get to spend Christmas Day at home. Our kids always loved spending Christmas Day at home after grandma gave us the freedom too, so I always understood when they took over, beside by then I was tired and much older! When did that happen? :scratch:
Enjoy your freedom my friend and stay well!
 
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
When oh when is this going to happen to me? I love having everyone here----but I, too, am not getting any younger. I would be so lovely to just go and be a sorta "guest" and just help a little with the clean up---but mostly just watch the babies. I guess my day will come eventually.

[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Back
Top Bottom