Guest viewing is limited

TKR I have a new knee!

My PT just recently told me to start massaging my scar to help with the tissues but he said to take my middle finger and press it against the nail of my pointer finger and use the pressure of that on my scar and up and down the sides of the scar. He said that way you are not putting a lot of pressure on it but it will help break down anything behind the scar that needs to be worked out. I am to do it twice a day for a couple minutes each. So, massaging it is probably a good idea but not with a big machine like that. We live and learn, don't we??? :shrug:
 
Yes, Shelly, we sure do. I guess the bright side is anyone reading about my mistake will always know better.
 
Here you go, Nyland---take your pick for a new icon to represent you
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
Don't we all just feel so foolish when we know we've done a dumb thing?
 
Oh Nyland, I so feel for you! :console2: I hope your knee forgives you soon! :bow: " Live and learn" is a motto that was designed for all of us! And then came "experience and wisdom"!
 
Thanks, Jackie. I took out my air cast cuff, I'm icing and elevating, and have my fingers crossed. One good thing, it didn't hinder my bend one bit, and may have even helped. can bend my knee and touch my fanny! I don't know if I could do that before, because ....well, I never tried. :heehee: I am hopeful that this will pass quickly. I have a very important meeting on Wednesday and I'd like to walk in without my cane.
How are you doing?
Hugs!
 
Hi everyone!
I have something cool to share!
I told you that at 4 months my knee was pretty much normal, but my head still watches out for it. I've been taking normal showers since the day that I got home from the hospital, but have only shaved my legs sitting on the side of the tub. One of our showers is large with a corner seat. Before my surgery I would just put my leg up on the seat and shave away. Since my surgery I have not. I've been very careful, and honestly thought that I would fall if I were to try to get my new knee up there. The seat is
about 3 feet high. Not thinking, I decided to use my fantastic hair mask (I'll footnote about that for those that are interested!) and while it was in my hair, I'd shave my legs. I foamed up and put my right leg right up on the seat and shaved away! Easy peasy, just like always! So now I need to reteach myself a few things. I reminded myself since my surgery that PT phrase, "Up to heaven, down to he ll" on the stairs. I learned it so well, that I still do it. Now I am trying to remember to go up and down the stairs normally. It honestly doesn't feel any different. I DO use the handrails and always will, but for safety, I'm not hauling yself up or down at all. Anyway, I thought this was a fun and cool milestone. We have all had such tough rides at times, the little milestones are important to share. I remember during my toughest times reading the little things that you all wrote and I smiled and thought that it really is the little things in this long recovery.

OK, this is for my beauty product friends! I have a brazilian ZERO blowout. It lasts for about 3 months. It makes my normally frizzy hair smooth and shiny. The mask that I was referring to is the Brazilian Zero hair mask. It has a bit of the blowout keratin in it. If your hair feels dry and old, give it a try. Most of the upscale salons will give you a sample to try before you buy it. (You may have to bring your own little container.) It's really worth asking to try a sample because it is pricey.
https://www.pandorabeauty.com/Brazilian-Blowout-Acai-Deep-Masque-8-oz

I wanted to reply to this last week, Nyland, but we have been staying with my sister down in Cornwall and although I had my Blackberry and I was able to read your post, there was so little signal I wasn't able to get back to you.
I am having a real problem with learning not to be disabled. I have been going upstairs using one leg, "good leg to heaven etc" for eleven years! Now I don't have to do it I have to really concentrate to use both legs because it is second nature.
Also, I think I am completely back to normal and can keep up with everyone else, and I can't.
I can for a bit, and then I am exhausted and lagging behind.
I get told off by the family for trying to do too much, and then give myself grief for being a wimp and letting everyone down, whilst wanting to crawl into bed and stay there.

What is the answer?

I don't know.

Hope the leg is feeling better now.
 
My dear Jess,
I think the answer is we both need to remember to listen to our knees and realize that even though we are feeling well, we are still recovering. Isn't it funny that we both have to relearn things? Take it easy when you can and must and just do the best we can when we have to. I keep reminding myself where I was and where I am now. That really helps me. Take care and do keep in touch!
 
Hi friends!
I have a question for you. Is it ok to join a gym at 4 months? I had my yearly today and my blood pressure was up. Not enough for meds, but she is watching me. I thought maybe if i got some exercise it would help? After my massager escapade I want to be very careful. I sent my OS assistant an email. Haven't heard back yet. Your thoughts?
 
I think you can join the gym but you have to pay attention to what your knee tells you and take it slow. Start off with a shorter lighter workout and then slowly increase it as you determine that you are able to. You can always work on arm and core exercises when the leg isn't being nice to you. If you can find a gym that has a pool you will have an even better time because you can do pool exercises which are great for your knee.:dancy:
 
Thanks, Shelly. I'm on the non-athletic lazy side. LOL I don't think I'd over do, but I want to help to get my BP down.
 
Nyland, I have been going to my health club right from the beginning to I would say that of course you can join a gym. I was riding the bike at my club in week two. The important thing is to figure out where you are at and start there and only increase a little each week. Say, for example, you were riding the bike for 10 minute in PT, start your first week at 10 minutes and then add 2 minutes a week. Cross-training is a good to do, so you use different muscle groups. As Shelly mentioned, the pool is superb whether you swim, do water aerobics to just walk or jog as the resistance will help you build strength while not having much impact on your joints and it is a whole body workout. Elliptical trainer is another great option and the treadmill if you can walk well enough, but again start slow especially if you have been doing nothing, just 5-10 minutes and add a little each week.
 
I have no idea about the swelling and BP. Maybe tag at Josephine on that? But I would think you could start at 5 minutes on the bike. That would probably be the gentlest of the machines. Do you have a Y or county rec centre near you as they might have pools. Also hotels often let you use the pool and I think Debbie_joints said she paid something like $20 a month to use a pool at a hotel. Maybe some ideas there.
 
Love, love, love the pool at our local hotel and they charge $27 a month. Totally has helped me.
 
Hey Nyland I am joining a gym close to the house. Unfortunately it doesn't have a pool, so won't be doing that. My therapist said to stick to gentle things. I am anxious just to ride the recumbent bike for 15-30 minutes. I love the bike it makes my knees feel soooo much better! Hopefully the OS asst can guide you in what exercise machines you can use. Hugs!
 
Oh I wish there was a hotel pool. There is only ONE nice hotel in this area and it is right across the street from my office. A rheumy owns it. There have been rumors that they will be adding a pool. That would be great! There is a new planet fitness opening right next to Jenny Craig, across the other side of the street. I think I need more magnesium. Any help on the type? Chelated gel caps maybe?
 
I take Magnesium Oxide and it works well for me. The Elemental Magnesium is supposed to be of better quality, but gave me bad diarrhea, but with the Magnesium Oxide doesn't cause the diarrhea. I get mine at GNC, its 250mg and costs about $6 for a bottle of 100, oh and I only take one a day at bedtime. I got really low on it at one time (common with Crohns) and thats how I started taking it. Then read about all the good benefits of Magnesium and so I just stayed on it all the time. Hugs!
 
I have been reading some very recent studies about the relationship of magnesium and blood pressure. Since my blood pressure has always been on the low side of normal, I'm wondering if all of trauma, antibiotics and crying (HAHAHAHAHA!) have depleted my electrolytes.
 
It could have especially if you had lots of vomiting or diarrhea. Thats why mine always get so low. Hugs!
 
Back
Top Bottom