Guest viewing is limited

TKR I have a new knee!

Nyland, if you want to avoid any issues with the antibiotic, you should try probiotics. Antibiotics kill the good and bad bacteria. Probiotics help to replace the good bacteria in your gut, and will really help avoid any problems the antibiotics might cause. Especially that one. I take one called Primadolphilus Fortify. If you can find a lactobacillus probiotic (you can find them at your local health food store like Whole Foods and take it at least 2 hours after your last antibiotic of the day, it may save you some issues.

With my autoimmune disease, I have to be super careful with antibiotics, so these probiotics have been a real blessing. I even have my healthy hubby taking them. Hope that helps! Hugs!
 
Thanks so much. I was told to hold off on adding my probiotics until after Tuesday. I have been eating yogurt and will start up 15 mg of probiotics as soon as I get home on Tuesday. I think reason is not to have anything interfere with the potency of the antibiotics.
How are you doing, Nanners? Hope you are having a good day!
 
Aw, sorry to hear you have been having trouble with your teeth, Nyland. Just caught up with this. Hope you get on well with this. It's so good to hear that you knee is doing so well though.

Aah, your grand-daughter sounds so cute, bless her, such lovely words. Must have made your heart melt.
 
Nyland when taking antibiotics its important to take a probiotic at least two hours after your "last" antibiotic of the day. I always take probiotics when I am on antibiotics. You just have to make sure that its at least two hours after your last antibiotic. And what do you mean 15 mg? Probiotics come with for example 5 billion cfu's. For example, the one I take has 8 billion cfu's. Align or Culturelle probiotics can be bought at Walmart, although they are a bit more costly. The one I take is generally about $13-14 dollars for a months supply. Hugs!
 
To all of my BS friends,
Could you say a prayer or cross your fingers that the root canal is successful tomorrow? I just want it to be over with. If he can't do it, I will have to go to the oral surgeon and it could be a long, sticky process. I just want the root canal to work and have it over and done with. This tooth has been nothing but a nuisance! (It has a crown. I cracked the crown on a Jenny Craig meatball in May. I swear that is when it all began. I got a free days worth of food when i told them it cracked my crown. Yippie. :beg:)

Hi Kathy!
How are you doing, my friend?
Yes, she is my little sweetie pie. She told me on Sunday that when she was a baby she was trying to tell me something, and I just didn't know what she wanted to tell me. I asked her what she wanted to tell me when she was a baby? She said, "That I love you so much nana. I wanted to tell you but I couldn't talk yet!" I teared up!

Nanners,
I will take my probiotics tonight. Thank you for caring!
 
Nyland,

I will for sure pray that all goes well at the dentist! And good for you for getting on those probiotics. I wouldn't want you adding CDifficile to your problems. That antibiotic is known for that. Hugs!

Gail *Nanners*
 
The story of a stinkin' tooth.....

1. Had a crown on a upper back molar.

2. Had a yummy Jenny Craig meatball in May that cracked my crown. Had to go to the dentist to have the hard piece of something that was wedged in the crown picked out.

3. October 11th I felt a bubble on my gum.

4. October 12th went to the dentist. He told me that i needed a root canal. i told him that the last root canal I had failed in less than 6 months and I needed an extraction and bone graft and will have an implant. He puts me on antibiotics.

5. October 17th I see the Oral Surgeon. he looks at the film and tells me that if i were his wife, he wouldn't extract, but have her have the root canal. That was good enough for me. I make an appointment for the root canal.

6. October 19th the endodentist does a radiographic tracer to see where the infection is. He tells me that he can't do the root canal on that day because i have a raging, active infection. He puts me on clindamycin and metronidazole.

7. Today, October 23rd is my root canal. In the chair for 3 hours. He canals 2 roots and the 3rd one is cracked. he couldn't see it in the film because of the abscess. He fills the tooth with cements and tells me to get it extracted, bone grafted, and have a sinus lift ASAP because of the infection and my knee.

8. The office tries to call the Oral Surgeon's office. It is busy, so they tell me to do it. I call and am told the Oral Surgeon will call me in the morning. (I think he should be talking to the endodentist...but...)

9. Looks like i will have to go to Amherst to see him because the next time he comes to my dentist office is 11/14 and I guess that is too far away for this mess to go on.

10. Oh, so the endodentist says not to eat on the side of the failed root canal. Ummmm, I'm waiting for the bone graft to become solid for the implant on the OTHER side.

Upside <insert absolute sarcasm>, if this infection doesn't get into my bone and new knee implant and kill me, I should end up thin from not being able to eat....on EITHER side. All kidding aside, I really need this tooth out, bone grafted, sinus lifted and infection healed like yesterday. My poor knee. :(

Stinkin' tooth! (waiting for the pain to set in....)
 
So sorry Nyland that this is happening to you! :sorry: I will keep you in my prayers that you get the tooth taken care of soon and the infection doesn't spread to your knee.
 
Oh so praying for you..guess its all over but the crying... Bless it..not fair to have to go thu this after all you have been thr with the knee.....praying that you feel better.. Hey you hang in there.......sendings LOADS of hugs..... :angel: :angel: :) :angel: :angel: :angel: :) :angel: :) :) :)
 
Oh Nyland, to say this is not fair is saying the least! The song comes to mind is "If you're going through hell just keep going, don't look back run right through it!" And I hope I got the words right. But that's all anyone of us can do, and now my friend you are going through hell!

Try and stay positive and stay well my friend! :angel:
 
Oh Nyland, that sounds just horrible. I hate having my teeth messed with to begin with, but you are really having to go through way too much. I hope you aren't in too much pain and that everything will work out. It is so expensive too. We don't have dental insurance. Many years ago, Dave needed some work done on his gums and it was going to be over $1500 and this was years ago. He looked at the dentist and told him my whole head isn't worth that much and the dentist gave him a dirty look. He shopped around and found a dentist that did the work for $600 and it turned out. Now he goes to Mexico and gets his work done at about a fourth of what it costs here and the place he goes is recommended by many friends that use him.
 
Thanks, Debbie! I'm not in any pain, just thoughts of the infection are giving me the heebie jeebies.
 
Yes Nyland, infection will scare the hell out of us all for the rest of our lives! I still wouldn't give up my new knees and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't either! :friends:
 
No pain and the Oral Surgeon will call me tomorrow morning. I will take his first appointment. I hope to have it all taken care of before my 3 month OS visit next Tuesday. Jacky, after all of the antibiotic for the UTI and then this, I'm done with infection. That's it. i said it. All done. Thanks for caring and your for your warm support.
 
Well Nyland i had TKR ten days ago and was feeling really depressed today so i have read your posts begining to end and they have cheered me up so much. To hear the story of your new knee told in such an amusing and brave way has given me inspiration and an idea of what has to come. I feel absolutely amazed you were so ready to say " yes im going to have the other knee done" OMG i cannot imagine anything worse at the moment even tho it is in a bad condition. Clearly things are done slightly different here in the UK. I didnt know about the no shaving legs, and there is never a problem with getting as much pain releif as you think you need. One question can you tell me what a cryo cuff is. I am icing a lot at the moment and cant keep up with the next one being ready to use. So please know your posts are excellent and give people like me in the early stages so much information we cud never get from anywhere else. I am so pleased i found this site. Good luck with your recovery, your tooth problems and certainly for your next op. ouve helped me so much
 
Hi Patricia,
If you only know how much I needed a lift tonight! Thank you!
I KNOW how you are feeling. Oh my goodness, those first 3 to even 4 weeks were pretty awful. Everything about it was NOT fun. Please know that it does get better, though. I promise, it does. I was in such a funk at 3 weeks. I remember my PT coming to the house and I just started to cry. She asked me what was wrong and i told her nothing really, that I was just in a funk. She was such and angel. It was a beautiful day outside. She took me outside and we walked and chatted. My neighbors came out and I felt happy. After that, I went out as much as I could. I went on errands, I took my dog out several times a day, I did whatever i could to shake it. I went back to work at 6 weeks and then i started to cry for no reason. I'd cry for absolutely nothing. Thank goodness i have a private office and could hide out when i felt like that. I have a friend at work that had TKR and one that had THR last year. I let them know what was going on and they were kind enough to check in n me every now and then. Sometimes they just poked their heads into my office, sometimes an email..I knew they got it. Only we get what's going on. I had no idea until I became a WE.
Yes, i'm going to have my left knee done, but I'm going to wait a few months to totaly forget those first 3-4 weeks.
Speaking of shaving, i just shaved my legs and then i got this nifty little wand tat people can trim their brows, upper lip, or bikini area. It has a wire so that te razor doesn't touch the skin. I swipe it over my scar and voila, no more gorilla legs.
About the pian meds, yes i was mad, but I got through it and now I have no pain. None at all. I don't even take tylenol. I don't need anything at all. So, maybe I was just a big baby? I'm not sure. When i see my OS next Tuesday, i expect he will ask me when we are going to do the other knee. My plan is to use that as an opening to let him know that 5 weeks was too early for him to stop pain management, and if he wants to see my left knee in the OR he has to listen to me. I'll tell him when i don't need anything. In my head, I see it working out perfectly. :loll:We will see.
Remember, we are here for you and we care.
:console2:

Oh, here is the Cyro Cast Airbrace that i have. I used the ice pads during the day and the cyro cast when my husband got home from work. I found it cumbersome to hook myself up and take off when i was alone.I used my ice pad and frozen peas. I still ice even night after work. I use the peas and pads, but when i have had a long day or after PT, I go for my cyro cuff.

broken link removed: https://www.airbracestore.com/product/cryocuff-ic-w-knee-cuff-medium/medium
 
Hi Nyland.
I am so sorry to hear of your tooth trials and tribulations. I guess it'll be a lot of soft foods for you for a few days til this is fixed. (here's hoping it's only a few days). Good luck!

To everyone...I've heard varied messages about how long the threat of infection is a serious danger. For example, some dentists do the pre-visit antibiotics for two years, others for life. And what of the more serious type that Nyland is now facing? Will we always have to worry about the knees? Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom