TKR I did it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are doing great! I want to hear when you finally get to ride again. My LTKR was Oct. 29th and Iam finally at 103 after a lot of hard work at PT. I would like to ride again but I know at this point there is no way I can mount a horse with my left knee Ouch! Last time I went riding was on a big Gypsy Vanner sweet boy who was well behaved. I am hoping one day I can ride him again. Don't own a horse of my own but have friends who do. I hope you will be back in the saddle soon
 
I am 7.5 weeks out and I was in with my mini horse today, unsupervised. But, he is not a typical mini...he is a very quiet boy. I am glad the weather is terrible so that I am not tempted to do more in the barn with the horse and goats. I will say.. with my first knee I thought I was ready to get to driving my mini again and was out longeing him and it was a little muddy and he was bucking and the like and he got away from me. He is always a little fresh for the first 15 minutes of the first longeing of the year, and then you can't hardly get him to move. He pulled and I dropped the longe line cause I was unsure of my footing. Of course.. for the next 20 times around he tried the same trick, but I was prepared. And he is just a mini horse.... so be careful when you get back at it again.
 
Hi @numbzee A gypsy vanner!! absolutely love them. Haven't seen one up close and personal but would love to.
I would suggest a 4 step mount. It gets you up to where you don't have to use the stirrup. You just put your leg over the horse and off you go. Get off the same way. I use a 3 step one but it's my right knee that was bad. But I also use it to get off. Once the snow is deeper I will try and ride. Maybe this weekend if it warms up enough. Will keep you posted.
Dana
 
Hi @hbacres, that sounded fun. I can see myself going into the mud. Going to take my time when I do get on him. I will have to lunge him first, but maybe I will let my husband do it the first time. Let him take the jumping and bucking. Its funny how mine gets lazy after a good lunge time. But oh is it nice not to have to do that in the summer time, just in the cooler weather. And right now they all are frisky.
I will be careful, promise!
We have a mini at the barn. The owner of the barn's daughter's mini. When it's time to get them all into the barn I usually take her and she is pretty good for me, someone else and she gets frisky, when the daughter takes her she is as good as gold. It always amazes me how horses at the barn, mine included, knows it's her and they are so careful around her. Of course we are always there supervising.
Dana
 
Would love to see a picture of you on your first ride!
 
Tomorrow I will be 16 weeks post op. The changes have been great! Now I can say I would do it again. There were a lot of moments when I didn't ever want to. I can say that pt was the roughest. They have believe in being rough and pushing the knee beyond the pain into horrible. I put up with it as long as I could. I no longer go there. I do it here in my own home. I am even doing the exercises that I did before surgery. The only difference is that I put the stretches in now. And I do feel a difference. I am able to walk without a limp, I am able to do stuff that I had a hard time doing because of the arthritis. I have not measured my flexion. I can bend better than I did a week ago. And by stretching everyday I feel that it'll continue to get better.
I still get aches and pains. I find the weather has not helped with that at all. Living in just north of central New York we get the cold and snow. Right now it has been very cold and the knee feels it. And some of the discomfort is still from the soft tissue. It hasn't healed all the way yet.
I'm off all the pain meds now. Only have to take Tylenol or Motrin if needed. I still get some spasms in the knee so when that happens I use the tens unit. It does work.
I was able to go to the movie theater to see a movie with my husband. No problems. I was able to enjoy the movie with no pain. Love it!!!
As soon as the weather gets better I plan on riding again. I miss it. On nice weather days I'm on my horse. Sometimes riding up to a couple hours a day. And when my knee was bad I would be in pain. So I look forward to a painfree ride.
I so enjoy reading everyones healing threads. We all heal so differently. Some are fast and others slow. The encouragement that is shown is remarkable. You don't find this anyplace else. I am thrilled that I found this site.
Dana
 
How great that you went to a movie and were able to stay and watch the whole movie without pain. I am hoping to do the same one day soon. Iam now at 11 weeks out and got up to 105 ROM at PT but with pain! Yesterday they had me get on the exercise bike and I thought how am I going to get on this bike that is on the highest seat level, Iam 5' 4 " ! Well I put my operated leg on the peddle and swing my right leg over the top and claimed, " Now I know I can get on a horse ! however I can't do a full revolution yet but I did work out on the bike using a back and forth method for ten minutes. You are making great progress all on your own now and very soon will be back in the saddle
 
@numbzee that is fantastic!! Just keep going back and forth. You will be doing full swing before you know it. Pt can really be tough at times. Even tho I stopped going I still do the exercises and stretches. And I am tough on myself with gaining ROM. I push it just past the pain and hold it. I sometimes push it to far. I am doing by far better than I was before surgery. This is a step by step process.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am determined to get my knee to bend up yo 120 or else. I push too hard some times like you we just want our lives back to as near neuronal as possible. I will certainly take your advice and just push past the pain and hold it! This is a marathon !
 
Nice read! Glad you are doing so well. Everyone else's successes give me hope. Happy trails!
 
I am now 4+ months along. What a time it has been looking back at when it started. My energy is great and my knee is healing nicely. Even tho I no longer go to pt I am still exercising and stretching and I see changes toward the positive.
The part that's exciting for me is that I am able to do better than I did before surgery. There is no more arthritis pain. I still get the soft tissue pain at times. The big difference is the soft tissue pain doesn't keep me from doing things like the arthritis pain did. I still have to be careful because of the ice. I don't want to fall down.
Went to my os and I don't need to go back for 6 months. And they feel that I am still doing great and no big deal that I refuse to go to pt. They were also glad that I wasn't taking any of the pain meds. I only take Tylenol or Motrin if I have swelling.
Would I do this again, yes. Thankfully my other knee doesn't need it yet. With having my other one done it has taken the pressure off the other one. So I am thankful that it has been better for the other one. My right one is no longer the bad knee. The left one is. But not so bad to where I need to have surgery. I imagine there will be a day when I will need to have it done.
Dana
 
Way to go ! It's so nice to be able to walk again without that excruciating knee pain befire surgery! Glad to hear your OS was very pleased and you don't have to go back fir six months. Have you been abject to get back in the saddle yet? The surgeon does 50% of the work and we have to overcome the collateral damage that is the other 50% to heal properly and that has been a big job for sure! Hope you are riding again soon
 
Excellent report! It's great to hear you are definitely through the dark days and on to the light side. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom