TKR I did it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do it. My horse was my main inspiration. I started riding at three months, I didn't realize how much pain I had been in, till I rode with no pain.
 
Rode yesterday and the stupid ankle was giving me fits. Incision was doing one of its 'I'm full of severed nerves' things as well. The hardware wasn't bothered at all. Some of this is weather related, plus I had walked and stood longer than I should have pre-ride. Today no walk beforehand except the stroll to the barn.

@appaloosa girl Not only do you want that filly trained before you rope with her, she's got some maturing to do. The great trainers start them young but give them lots of time off to grow up, and never work them hard until they are four....

Here's another analogy for you. Thoroughbreds are notorious for breaking down before they turn four. That's in this country. In the UK they don't start racing them as 2 year olds (really long yearlings) like we do, and its much more common for their great horses to be sound and winning as 7 and 8 year olds.
 
My horse is a big reason for my life change and I'm going to take it forward slowly. No stupid stuff like I did today. I slipped and my leg bent further than I would have allowed it. I was lucky this time. I would never have worked a horse in a slippery area or work a colt or filly like that. Thanx to you both.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry you slipped Appaloosa Girl. Glad you are taking it easier. I've had no choice because of anemia, but I have little swelling and better range of motion now.

When I was leaving the hospital I sat right down in the wheel chair, knees bent at 90+ degrees? I just wasn't thinking and I will never do that again.
 
I'm trying very hard tone patient. I'm finding after barely a week I'm getting to where I would love to go outside and walk or go to the barn. Now that I'm feeling better it gets harder to relax and enjoy the attention. I did great with pt today and that just gives me joy. So Tomorrow I'm going to walk around the house more and relax when body needs to rest. I'm also having trouble with my leg and muscle spams. I will be trying to relax and then they start. Some of them can be intense. Not happy with those.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It gets better. Then, alas, it can get worse, too., before getting better again. Not a linear progression at all.

My mare Sadie was all about non linear progress. She'd balk and get light in front and stick her head in the air and say I Won't and You Can't Make Me, then next day be a little angel but the day after that, look out, pure beeyotch again... knees can be like strongwilled mares. Some days you just have to ask the knee to do something simple you know it can do perfectly, praise it and end the day on a high note. A Knee is a wonderful opportunity to learn patience.
 
And today my knee felt like that mare of yours. Got up feeling off. Even my knee felt off. Did my exercises and relaxed till pt. I ended up doing so much better than I thought I would. Going to the barn tonight just to say hi and pet my boy. Hoping I don't get emotional.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Go ahead and cry in his mane if you need to. Give him a Horry cookie from me.
 
Oh I'm so envious of all your horse talk. I didn't learn to ride until I was forty, and then really enjoyed it, but I haven't ridden for years now. My daughter rides everyday, sometimes two horses, she can't wait until I have two working knees and can help her out.
Just be patient, you will get there, whatever you do don't push to hard, take things slowly and keep icing as much as you can. Enjoy your beautiful horses, I wish you well.
 
I'll try to take and post a picture of my two, especially since right now they are fat and slick. It really is a blessing to have them at home and to be able to ride without pain, or at least with no knee pain. The bust ankle isn't all that it should be.

@appaloosa girl
How did your visit to the barn go?
 
@Ellejay thanx. I look forward to hearing that you finally get on them again. I'm trying to take it slow. Today was a real lazy day. I laid on the bed,elevated and iced. I didn't feel like doing anything so I listened to my body.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jeano it was a nice visit. Didn't get emotional either. Felt good to have my hands and face in his. I gave him peppermint treats. His favorites. He enjoyed them too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congrats on being on the other side. Take it easy though don't rush!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@amber777
Thanx. I am doing pretty good with taking it easy. After last week and slipping I've become patient. It scared me totally into behaving.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @appaloosa girl - I'm glad you got to visit your horse - that's so therapeutic! I just read this thread and the first thing I did was pick up the phone and call my trainer. I'm just at 8 months now - I probably could have started riding a few month ago but the barn is almost an hour drive (one way) and I have no one to take me so I need to be sure I'm comfortable driving for 2 hours. And we retired my adult amateur hunter last year to a farm in Kentucky so I'll need to ride lesson horses for a while. That's okay - I just want to ride. And once I build up some strength, I'll be back on the greenies.
 
@susie09
I'm heading to the barn tonight to see my horse. I can't wait to ride again. It'll be a few months before that will happen. So for now I just spoil him. Your horse sounds happy that he's retired in Kentucky. I can see the nice green pastures.
All my exercising is to get stronger so I can ride again. Pt can be torture right now. I say that cos it can be hard and at times hurts. But I go forward.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Remember to push any exercise in PT only to the point of discomfort, not pain. Pain will only set your knee back.
 
I did push some. There was some pain and then it was ok. My flection was 84. I was hoping for better. But maybe next time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congrats on getting the staples out. It sounds like you are doing well in your recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom