TKR I did it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hated the staples. Knee felt much better after they came out. It will make it a little easier to squeeze out a little more ROM.
 
Thank you. Yes each day I feel stronger. I can't rush it even tho I want to.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Can't believe that just as I was feeling better and not frequenting the forum as much - a big horsie recovery thread appears :). They are such wonderful motivation aren't they, can't wait until I'm riding well enough to be cantering through the forest with that freedom feeling :)
 
The freedom of riding awaits me in a couple of months. I hope.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My post op appt is tomorrow and this week I start going to pt. not thrilled with it but I know I have to do it. I am looking forward to hearing what my surgeon has to say. I have a few questions for him.
I'm 2 weeks and 3 days post op.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you find your self dreading PT either wait or try a different facility if you go and don't like it.

Speaking of equine assisted knee recovery--the longer stirrup on the right did solve ankle issues even on the wide load mare, and yesterday I was able to ride the energetic gelding for over an hour and dismount without worrying too much about sticking the landing. And did some much needed toe rasping. Hoping to have some square bales to stack soonest, too. I ran into someone from church today who burbled, 'look at you walking like there's nothing wrong!' 'well,' I said, 'nothing IS wrong, now.'
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jeano of course there is nothing wrong with you!! Love that comment!!
My appt is Thursday. After reading some of the post of some of the therapists going commando I plan on being very careful on what they think they may do. I won't let them hurt me. Even I know when I did to much I refuse to let someone else do it. I don't like confrontations but I will protect my knee.
When I finally get on my horse I will do that with my stir up. Sounds a lot more comfy!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Girl if you don't have stirrup straights or swivel stirrups get a pair for that western saddle. Makes all the difference in the world for ouch knees.
 
@jeano, any tips for dismounting? That seems to be the hardest thing for me. I guess having both done makes it a little trickier - because I don't have a good leg to land on.
I bought myself flexible endurance stirrups a year or so ago - brilliant!! Then flex slightly as you rise, so no where near the harshness on your knees. Worth the money i think!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I don't know if this will help but I use the 3 step mounting block to get on and off.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I use a mounting block (or a stump, log, truck tailgate, horse-in-ditch-me-on-bank) to get on but I often wipe out if I try to get down onto anything but terra firma. Surely you ladies have used or seen the Old Lady Dismount!
1) Order horse to stand still.
2) Reprimand horse for putting his head down.
3) Look down at ground, mentally curse self for cowardice. (repeat 1, 2 and 3 several times)
4) Extract right foot from stirrup, lean forward.
5) Lift right leg over cantle while hugging horse around the neck.
6) Extract left foot from stirrup while shrieking curses at horse, who by now has once again put his nose on the ground. Continue to maintain death grip on equine neck as you:
7) Slither down horse's shoulder to the ground, gouging self in the process with any hardware on breastcollar or saddle.

Done properly, this is low to no impact. Believe it or not, your horse will get used to you using his neck as an down elevator. I am tall and my horses are short but I've seen short old ladies manage this even with tall mounts.
 
That sounds good!!
@Josephine
I have a non horse question. Went to the doctor today and was told I have a fractured tibia due to the tkr. He put screws in it. I have to be more careful right now. But forgot to ask them about my exercises. Do I do them gentler than I have!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never ridden a horse, but I can visualize your description @jeano :)
 
@appaloosa girl
Well, your avatar makes it look relaxing. I imagine she takes good care of you and is extra gentle when you are around; knows that you are healing.
 
Hey @appaloosa girl or any other horse lovers here - need a horse fix until your next visit to the barn? Check out broken link removed: https://www.usefnetwork.com/featured/2014pennnational/ - they're live streaming every class from the Pennsylvania National Horse Show. Assuming I still had my horse, qualified and could afford the trip (LOL), my division starts this afternoon. Guess I can still dream for the future!
 
@ELISEA
He is an awesome horse. I can do just about anything around him and he just stands there watching me. He knows I'm healing. I've been very thankful that he isn't afraid of the crutches. I look forward to riding him after I'm healed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@susie09
We can always dream. I'll get on the sight and watch it. I'm kinda grounded for a few days. It's been rainy so no barn for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's now been 3 weeks since my surgery. I have to say it's had its ups and downs. The recovery is long and the need for patience is great. I've gotten used to having to rest more. And elevating with my ice!! My activity level is starting to get better. So doing dishes and folding laundry is my day. Oh and my exercises. I love to exercise but find it hard to do these. But I love the challenge.
Outpatient pt started last week. Not sure how I feel about it yet. That is the impatient part of me. I want the good results now.
Not riding my horse and being with him daily has been the hardest. But now that I'm feeling better I have been going to the barn for a few days this week. I brushed him out and gave him treats. Yesterday I messed with him in his stall. We both enjoyed the time together.
There are days when I'm glad I did this and days I'm not so sure. I know that as I recover I will be glad. Having a fractured leg with this hasn't helped but the recovery time is less than it is for the tkr so I'll be fine. I just have to use my crutches more. The dr doesn't want me to put stress on it yet.
Hope everyone's weekend is a good one!! Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom