Guest viewing is limited

TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

Week 4 (29 September to 5 October)

Still drifting along with my recovery, medication now finished but I have paracetamol & some anti-inflammatory tablets as back up if needed.

My knee is sore on the outside and behind the knee cap but is progressing and hopefully the pain will reduce over the coming days.

I have been working from home for the last 3 weeks but I started back at work full time on Monday 6th October - it will be interesting to see how that will go...

I think that I am happy (I have already forgotten how I progressed during my TRKR! so I am not sure how I am doing?); I believe that I was more tolerant and forgiving with my right knee.

The next 2/3 weeks will show me how I am doing, hopefully the pain will be gone and I can be more active.

My stitches have healed very well so I hope to start going to the pool next week.

Mike
 
Hello Mike @IrishMike

Good Week 4 Update and you seem to be coming along nicely.

Today will be your second day back at work full-time and I'm sure that will take some time to get used to.

But, in the past you seemed to pace yourself very well and I'm sure that you're doing the same with your LTKR.

Take care and keep doing what you're doing,
Cathie
 
@marmora @tiredwife

This knee is different it is more painful, I am trying to sort out the painkillers etc. - I do not want to overkill the meds, so I have been increasing them each day and monitoring the effects.

Being at work means that I do not get much time to exercise, ice or elevate the knee, if I am lucky, I ice it once before I go to bed!

Next week I am only going to work 3 days so hopefully there will be some improvement in the pain management and exercises.

Mike
 
Hi Mike @IrishMike

There doesn't seem to be any standard issue recovery and each knee seems to be different.

Working out a pain medication regime can take some time and with working 5 days this week & only icing at night is bound to cause a difficulty for this latest TKR.

Only working next week for 3 days and having time to exercise and ice will be a great relief for your knee and you.

I'm off to the local YMCA now to use some of their equipment, trying to go there 3 times per week, as one of my daily PT sessions. The place is empty during the day, so have the gym/equipment room to myself and no you can see my 'pain face' when cycling the stationary bike !:dubious:

Take care,
Cathie
 
@IrishMike I sure hope you get the pain meds worked out. Hard to work and be in pain! Hubby had to take a Norco the other day because he did too much. We are trying to get one more refill for the bad days. He is starting to sleep a little better with the help of Ambien, but has been having odd dreams. He goes back to work the 1st of November. On your days off I hope you are babying your knee!
 
Mike, I've been enjoying reading your thread. Your twin and my singleton were operated on a day apart. I think I've had a good recovery, but cannot imagine working during this time.

You are, however, much younger than I am.

Take care, and keep up the good work!
 
The meds have settled down, I am taking more!
My knee is sore which I am hoping is due to my nerves waking up or something similar...

@marmora Cathie
I hope you had a good session in the gym and that your pain has started to reduce.

@tiredwife
I have two very active daughters aged 7 & 9, so any free time is taken up taxiing them to ballet, gymnastics, singing, football, camogie, swimming, athletics and various other activities - I am looking forward to the day when they become lazy teenagers and just lie about all day! It is great that they love all sports as well as singing, music, dancing and drama but sometimes it would be nice to have a day off. Luckily my left knee does not impact too much on my driving, I only do local journeys at the moment.

@Jane B.
Sitting all day is quite hard on my knee so I have to remember to walk around every 30 mins or so, otherwise my knee gets very stiff. I have to admit that I feel young because my children keep me from getting old, hence the knee ops so that I can run around and kick a ball for the next few years - until they out grow me!

Mike
 
@IrishMike Wow, you are very busy! You need to set up carpooling with other parents! Hubby's main problem with his second knee is stiffness and some pain. It just takes some time.
 
Month 2 (6 October to 9 November)

The last 4 weeks have appeared to move very slowly but I am gently improving which is most important!

I have needed to keep taking painkillers and anti-inflammatory meds because my knee has generally been painful/achy. I have started to reduce my meds by half over the last week.

I met with my OS today and he was very happy with my progress at 8 weeks - I have not used crutches for 5 weeks so my walking is good (I walked 8km today).

I have tentatively booked myself into the gym for next Monday so hopefully that will go off without any problems

In summary:

  • Walking without support and able to walk 5 - 8 km each day
  • ROM (today) was in excess of 130 and my leg lies flat on the bed etc.
  • I have pain/ache on the outside of my knee and behind my knee - the latter hopefully will go during the next couple of weeks
  • My knee goes stiff/aches if I sit or stand for too long but this should reduce over time
  • Going to the gym should help my knee because I will be stretching and building up my muscles around my knee....
  • I will keep going to my physio to ensure that my muscles do not get too tight - this can cause pain in my knee
After my meeting today with my OS, I am reassured that I am on the right track but the next few weeks in the gym (or not) will dictate how well/quickly my recover is coming along.

I have targeted Christmas for my knees to be happy so we can all have a pain free Christmas - here's hoping...

Take care

Mike
 
It sounds like you're doing well. Just remember to have patience.....most people don't really start to feel "recovered" until at least the 6 month mark. You're still able to do things, of course, but there may be fatigue, soreness, some pain with activity....a host of little things that take longer than any of us like to resolve.
 
@marmora @tiredwife thanks for your comments, the next 4 weeks will dictate how much my knees enjoy Christmas but I am hopeful.

@Jamie I agree with you but the good news (so far) is that my left knee is following the same recovery pattern as my right knee did earlier this year - I was able to go to the gym around 9/10 weeks after my TRKR.

I use the gym to build up my legs to help stabilize/strengthen my knees but the most important part of my early gym work is to stretch my leg muscles - hamstrings, quads & calf muscles; I find it very difficult to find the time at home so by going somewhere formal e.g. the gym, I am able to work these areas without any distractions.

I am very careful choosing the exercises that I do and also how I control myself during those exercises. I have been very lucky also, in that, I have lost very little muscle this time round so my legs are are almost as strong as they were before the operation. I record and monitor everything that I do in the gym so that I am aware of the reasons for increased pain etc. then I can rest and adjust my exercises the next time I go to the gym. I discuss these with my physio (who is a very active athlete) when I meet him each week to see if I need to change/adjust my training etc.

I am currently walking 5 - 10 km each day so I am now ready to move to a more controlled setting, the gym, where I can ensure that I do not injure myself or can stop when I feel uncomfortable etc.

When I do my Month 3 summary in December, we will know if my optimism was well placed!

Take care

Mike
 
:thumb: You have the program under control!!!
 
This is the first time that I have heard the term Irish twins used for TKR'd I had my first knee done on Oct 17, 2014 and hoping to be scheduled for the 2nd one on December 18. I know that this is a quick turnaround , but I am off work right now and it makes sense to do it now.
 
@susanwkay Hubby had his 10 weeks apart so they could be done in the same Short Term Disability time from work. It is doable.
 
Month 3 (10 November to 13 December)

Its been a very active 5 weeks:
  • Stopped taking any medication for the last 4 weeks
  • Going to the gym 3 times a week - 60 mins on bike/elliptical trainer plus 30 mins stretching etc.
  • I am not doing any knee exercises using weights yet - I will start these after New Year
  • Cleared most of the niggles relating to muscles/tendons via "dry needling" with physio
  • Knee still sometimes stiff/aching if I sit/stand for too long but hopefully that will reduce over time
  • Both knees are still numb and I can not kneel down yet
  • Walking down stairs still uncomfortable but again hopefully this will improve soon
I will try to maintain some form of exercise over the Christmas period (in between eating, drinking and entertaining) just to keep the knee working...

Hopefully, I am once again at the stage of "time will slowly heal everything". I am looking forward 2015 and my new life developing being able to live without pain and discomfort.

Take care

Mike
 
@IrishMike Hi, sounds like everything is going good. Each month you will see improvement with the stairs etc. The numbness will gradually leave. Nerves were damaged and will need to heal. Hubby still has a dull ache over his newest knee, but it is slowly getting better. He went back to work the 3rd of November, and has been working overtime last week and this week. Knees are holding up good, ....the back and feet, well, that's another story. Take care of yourself.
 
Month 4 & 5 (14 December to 8 February)

It has been a frustrating couple of months:
  • My ROM started to reduce!
  • My knee seemed to be getting stiff
  • My knee started to be slightly uncomfortable after sessions in the gym
  • Christmas festivities etc. were taking up a lot of my time - good on one hand but not on the other!
I decided to take some time off from the gym, physio...

I finally concluded that my knee was in that chicken and egg situation (if you know what I mean) and that most of my stiffness/discomfort was from my IT band on my left leg.

  • So I have ditched the physio until March - I often find that they fix one thing and something else pops up.
  • I started using the foam roller on my IT band, quads, glutes etc
  • Replaced the Elliptical Trainer with the stationery bike - one hour every other day
  • Work on my legs more in the gym using weights
  • Perform squats on a daily basis
My knee is a lot happier now. My thigh muscles are getting bigger and stronger. The bike is helping with the rotation of my knee and my ROM is slowly improving.

I feel that my progress has started again. I think that my progressed stalled because I was not doing the correct exercises for the stage that my recovery was at. I don't think that I took my recovery as seriously with this knee or maybe it was the time of the year when it is more difficult to be active (i.e during winter).

It is officially spring, therefore, hopefully I will start to motor on from here. My target has always been this summer, so hopefully, I will have some luck and enjoy the walks with the family.

Take care

Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom