Revision THR How do you think I am doing?<

Ok so one more session of hydrotherapy. I would like to think that it has improved my situation but sadly not. In its defense it has been great sharing a pool with other post-op folk and certainly the buoyancy of the water helps movement but t then leaves me sore and in pain for days. Still pretty much at the same level if not worse than before I started. Saw the OS a few days ago. He now thinks the problem may be my back and the pain on movement is referred from there. He is sending me for an MRI scan of my back so until that happens I think its as good as it gets. His reasoning is that the pain prior to hip surgery masked the back pain and that now the hip has been treated the back pain is revealing itself once again. I think I have to go with that for now. Anyone else had this kind of experience?

Hoping you are all progressing with your recoveries and wishing you all the best. Will get back with news of the scan when I get the results.

@ajr1949 I move your post above back to your own recovery thread. Please keep all your questions and updates here so that we have your history in one place and can advise you if needed.
His reasoning is that the pain prior to hip surgery masked the back pain and that now the hip has been treated the back pain is revealing itself once again.
My whole hip journey was blamed on back issues - something I have been dealing with for years. If you had back issues previously they can certainly be aggravated by THR. It's good you are getting the MRI to confirm. Please keep us updated!

Thanks Jacey much appreciated. I will certainly get back when I know more.

Just needed to share that I have been feeling much better over the last two or three days. Feeling stronger and better in myself and that the line in the graph is taking an upward direction again. Pain is less allowing me to slowly do more. Hopeful that this will continue. Long way to go but only fair to report the good as well as the bad. Hope you are all doing well in your recoveries.

Good news. Less pain is always a wonderful thing. Do more but pay attention to your body if it still needs more rest.

Well sadly the improvements do not seem to last. I experience bad days and worse days. Still moderate to severe pain on weight bearing. Got a date for a lower back scan on May 20th and hopefully one way or the other I can take steps to move forward. Over eight months since the op and still reliant on a cane. Have given up all exercise other than walking because that leads to no improvement. Cheesed off. Dear wife losing patience. Considering looking at chiropractor next. Just a bit desperate really as to know what to do so hope you good folks won't mind me letting off steam. Kind regards to you all as always and hope you all at least are making good recoveries.

So sorry to hear this ajr. No wonder you feel fed up, I think everyone would be under the circumstances. Just hope that you can manage to see some improvements soon.
Keep your chin up,
Diane

@ajr1949.
Not nice for sure. It would do no harm to see an Osteopath or Chiropractor. If your still limping then your back pain might be caused by your Gait. The MRI will I'm sure clarify what going on. Did you have back pain before your hips were done? Do you still have the 7/10 pain when walking. @Josephine has a thingy (illustration) where you can pinpoint the exact site of your pain then someone might be able to offer advice.
Keep chasing the problem is the best I can offer and try to not get too despondent.
Joe......

I'm a great fan of chiropractic treatment. I've been seeing a chiro regularly for about 15 years. As a nurse of the old days, pre lifting equipment and such, my generation all had bad backs from having to lift patients into and out of bed and bath. So when I discovered chiropractic treatment, I was like Lazarus resurrected!

Thank you Irish Joe Josephine and Diane for your kind advice and encouragement. Yes I still have that pain when walking and there were also wear and tear issues with my back prior to the op. I had been attending physio for lower back pain and hip pain. The hip pain was thought to be referred pain from the back. It was only when an X-ray was done that the true extent of wear on the hip was revealed. Bone on bone. Strangely I had not presented with groin pain but I have it now after the op and cannot weight bear on the operated leg in isolation. Chiropractic or osteopathic? Which would be better in my situation? Getting in and out of my car causes pain in the hip area itself similarly trying to turn in bed. On walking the pain radiates down from the hip along the femur to the knee and is particularly heavy in the femur area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see an osteopath and he's great. Others swear by chiropractor. I think its a case of preference.
The groin pain and weight bearing pain is also concerning. Hopefully things will be clearer after MRI. Keep us updated and try to keep chasing an answer.
Joe.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiro and osteo do very similar adjustments. It is a personal preference. My back didn't like the aggressive adjustments at chiro but I saw a great results with my osteopath.

Thanks both for that, much appreciated and very helpful. A lot resting on the MRI scan. One way or another I can take the next steps to recovery after the results for that.

It's so difficult to comment on someone else's progress as we all started from different places. I'm 7 weeks in from a THR and can walk a couple of miles with a stick but definitely can't drive and sleep is still almost impossible. My surgeon said to drop all precautions (including high chair, loo seat and high bed) but my physio is far more cautious. He did give me a heel lift though which has helped mightily with back pain on walking due to legs of different lengths. No idea how I will get my right leg strong enough to drive...

You seem to be doing well after only seven weeks to walk that far. You are right we are all different in our recovery times. Keep up the good work and I am sure the strength to drive will come soon enough. How are your pain levels?

Hi AJR1949,
I'm quite careful about how I move about so I tend to get pain only when I do something daft. I get twinges and restless legs but wouldn't count those as pain. I do have pain in my lower back in the mornings and after walking so I take a couple of Paracetamol for this. My hip joint can ache if I walk too fast, like if I'm walking with a friend, and slopes are definitely out if I want to stay pain free. I get this wretched meralgia parasthetica every single night immediately after lying down, which is really disruptive and uncomfortable. I would get a lot more pain if I were still doing my 400 repetitions of physio, but I have dropped much of this except for the ones where I have to bend my knee - its stops me getting too stiff. I'm sure my physio would be appalled that I don't do them. He did recommend Pilates when I said I felt like I needed to stretch the top half of my body and stretch both sides not just one. I don't think my new joint muscles are strong enough for that yet though. I can already see that my 'bad' leg is smaller than the other one, where the muscles have wasted (?).....I think it helped that although I am obese I walked at least 3-4 miles a day with the dog, and 6 miles once a week prior to surgery. My walking companion and I are planning some 10 milers when I'm ready, and I'm also planning to walk some 2-3 day routes over drovers roads with friends and their ponies and dogs - looking forward to being out in the wilds....

Thanks for your valued comments. Hope my beloved Lancashire is looking good this time of year. Sounds like you are on the right road and making good progress. I hope this continues for you. I have just had an awful couple of days. Extremely painful when trying to walk which sadly has not been too far. Pain is particularly bad just above the knee and although I try to restrict pain killers I had to take paracetamol and codeine this morning which thankfully reduced it a lot. Fifteen days now to the back scan upon which a lot seems to be resting for me.

Hi I don't know how to know how you're doing but I can kinda tell your frustrated and I can relate.....hang in there see what they say on the new tests and I'll keep you in my prayers...color me your sister in frustration

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom