Revision THR How do you think I am doing?<

Been a few months now since I posted. Back scan showed slight prolapse in lower back. Bone scan negative.
Now awaiting second opinion. Prior to that another ultrasound scan on September 6th. An initial assessment by the new team revealed lack of rotation in the new joint. It was also suggested that the joint may have loosened and that there might be low level infection but that's hopefully not the case. I still have awful limp without stick and mobility is still poor. Pain is constant on weight bearing and seems to be from around the hip area down the front of the thigh towards the knee. I am now just over 12 months post-op and whilst i can function with the pain the whole experience so far for me has been a dismal failure because I am worse than before the operation! Its as if I am dragging a dead leg around. Will get back to you all when I know more. Continued good luck to you all with your recoveries.

Hi I don't know how to know how you're doing but I can kinda tell your frustrated and I can relate.....hang in there see what they say on the new tests and I'll keep you in my prayers...color me your sister in frustration
Thanks for this ,much appreciated and apologies that i didn't reply sooner.
 
An initial assessment by the new team revealed lack of rotation in the new joint. It was also suggested that the joint may have loosened and that there might be low level infection but that's hopefully not the case.
Did they do a blood test to rule out infection? If not - insist this is done just for your own peace of mind.
 
OK, I now have met with the new Consultant with the following outcomes. He feels the new hip is loose.
He pointed out on x-rays he did that there are gaps between the new shaft and the bone where it is fitted and he feels that the hip will have to be replaced again. Yesterday they carried out an aspiration on the hip to draw off fluid and rule out low lying infection. This isn't the outcome anyone wants but I suppose it now means I can hopefully move forward. Any advice from forum members welcome and especially from any one who has gone through a revision. Hope you are all doing well in your recoveries.
 
Hi there, I went through a revision 3 months after my THR. My implant broke so I had no choice.
It was frustrating to have a third surgery in the one year but my leg was swollen, I was limping (I didn't limp before surgery) and I knew something wasn't right so I knew revision was the right choice. I healed well after my revision and was back at work after 4 weeks so it really was the right thing.

Although it might feel like a set back, it will all work out in the long run and you will be better for it.

I am just 1 year post revision this week and going really well!
 
Many thanks for that. Yes although its frustrating I am trying to be positive especially as it seems like a move forward from what was stagnation. I have the follow up meeting from the aspiration next Friday so fingers crossed everything will be ok to give the go-ahead. I will keep you posted.
Good to hear that you are doing well.
Kind Regards
 
Ok so the results from the aspiration show no infection and now i await a date for revision surgery which could well be before Christmas. Surgeon thinks the socket may well be ok so may only have to replace the shaft. I am hoping this is the case. A further test for infection will be done when they go in and if that is clear they will remove the shaft without too much trouble I hope and replace it. Disappointed that it has come to this but upbeat about a final solution to the problem. Hope you are all doing well in your recoveries or your preparations for surgery. I don't come on here very often but i really do appreciate the opportunity to share my experiences worries and concerns and I thank you all for your support over the last fourteen months.
 
Glad you have an answer even if it means another surgery. Unfortunately it can’t always be perfect first try. Keep up positive attitude!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What a drag having to do it over but we can only play the cards we are drawn. Hopefully the socket is good. That should make it a little easier I hope. We'll be pulling for you.
 
hi there @ajr1949 we were born in the same year!! 9 weeks is not a long time for you to be doing so much. Listen to Josephine she is a wise woman. I know that at 9 weeks I was feeling frustrated that I couldn't get moving better then I found this site. Slowly does it. Don't push yourself so hard and just relax - know it's not easy - I am usually a very active person LOL! You will get there in the end so keep smiling. I'm afaid to say I did neglect the housework for a bit and just kept telling myself it would get done eventually and did just dusting ect. The painkillers are a MUST as they let you do more walking without pain so do keep taking them. Let us know how you get on we're all behind you and help or just listen to you as much as we can.:flwrysmile:
 
P.S. love you cat :catbutterfly:we have 4 and 4 rabbits and :dogsniff: a mad dog
 
Ah thanks everyone. Really does me good to hear all these positive comments.
P.S. love you cat :catbutterfly:w

Yes Cas same year and not too far away. I started life just over the Yorkshire border in Oldham.
Our cat is called Molly and she is very cute.
 
nice name for a pusscat. Ours are Lolipop, Cocopop, Noah baby and Muppet.
 
Great names. Molly is a successor to our previous cats Maggie, Hughie and Louie. Received the pre-op letter this morning for 8th November so all systems go.
 
Hi Everyone. Hope you are all doing well pre or post op. Went for my pre-op assessment today so we must be getting closer now to my revision surgery. Not received a date as yet. Very thorough examination after the hip school talk so pleased with that although impatient to get the op over and done with and hopefully get back to some normality eventually. Told me i would be in for at least five days with revision surgery which knocked the shine off things but better that than another failed op. Going a bit stir crazy presently and fast running out of box sets for when i put my leg up. Envy anyone who can take a walk in a lovely park bedecked with all the autumn colours. I live in hope. I will post again when i get the date. meanwhile you all look after yourselves and get well soon.
 
Hi @ajr1949
I just read your thread and am so sorry for all you've been through.
It's been a long haul with too much pain and not enough answers.
It appears as though resolution is in sight. I hope your surgery date is
scheduled soon so you are able to move forward putting this chapter behind you.
Prayers for all to be a success and strength for you as you wait.
 
I just read your thread and am so sorry for all you've been through
Thank you so much for your kind sentiments, prayers and good wishes. Much appreciated. Your description of my situation is right on the money. Could not have explained it better myself.
 
I have a date for my revision. Feb 6th. i have final pre-op this coming Wednesday so not long now really.
I am now in both the pre-op and post op Bonesmart categories although i shan't post anywhere else. I will be back in touch when its all over and i have good news to relay. Thanks for all your comments prayers and good wishes. I am hopeful that in a few months I shall be on the road to recovery and regular activities again.
 
Glad you finally have your revision date Let us know how your pre op goes.
 
Back
Top Bottom