How do I hang in for these last few days pre-op??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw. Thanks! My Spenser (long-haired miniature dachshund) is going to be my primary caretaker, so I'm a fan of doggies.
 
i just read a little bit about "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" and the author -
i never could get enough of jack london -
i'll have to find this one -
thanks -
 
Is Trauma Terminal?

The definition reflects devastation: "Trauma: An injury (as a wound) to living tissue caused by an extrinsic agent...a disordered psychic or behavioral state resulting from mental or emotional stress"

Like potatoes in a pressure cooker, we 21st-century creatures understand the meaning of stress. A week doesn't pass without a few skirmishes with those "extrinsic agents" that beat upon our fragile frames. They may be as mild as making lunches for our kids before 7:30 a.m. (mild) or as severe as a collision with another car...or another person. Makes no difference. The result is "trauma" - a two-bit word from "nervous". Years ago, a stress test carried on by Dr. Thomas Holmes and his colleagues concluded that an accumulation of 200 or more "life change units" in any year may mean more disruption - more trauma - than an individual can stand. On their scale, death of a spouse equals 100 units, divorce represents 73 units, and Christmas equals 12 units! That helps explain the idea behind "something snapping" inside people when the final straw falls on them. Our capacity for trauma has its limits.

Eyes that read these words might very well be near tears. You are trying to cope without hope. You are stretched dangerously close to the "200-unit" limit -- and there's no relief on the horizon. You're bleeding and you've run out of bandages. You have moved from mild tension to advanced trauma. Be careful! You are in the danger zone, emotionally. You're a sitting duck, and the adversary is taking aim with both barrels loaded, hoping to open fire while you're vulnerable.

Jesus's words in Matthew 11:29-30 is our comfort. "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me -- watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I don't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Nothing complicated. Just "come". Unload. Unhook the pack and drop it in His lap. Let HIM take your stress and you take His rest. If anyone understands trauma, He does.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paraphrased from Charles Swindoll's illustration, used in our church service this past Sunday.

I'm setting up my "recovery thread" in a few minutes since we'll be on the road tomorrow, surgery Friday. I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has comforted, assured, coaxed, informed, and loved me thus far on my "traumatic" journey. I've done my part. I'm ready. It's now in the hands of my OS, his team, and my Heavenly Father. Looking forward to doing the "happy dance" with all you hippies this weekend!

:angel:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes, and our thoughts and prayers will be there to help you in a speedy recovery!
 
Nearly there! Thinking of you & looking forward to your 'new hip' recovery posts. Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@beachgal. I just read through the last week of your pre-op thread. I'm only 2 weeks out from my LTHR on July 7. I was so nervous and freaked out about the surgery, but like you, I decided to take all my anxiety and fear to The Lord and then it was OK. I was so pleasantly surprised that my pain after surgery was so tolerable. And now, two weeks later, I am so happy to be free of the grinding, energy sapping joint pain that I have tolerated for over a year.
You are so fortunate to have a loving hubby. He is really planning some good times ahead after your surgery. We will all be wishing the best for you, and waiting to get your report post op.
7-23-14. From Mountain Momma
LTHR. 7-7-14.
 
We've made the three-hour drive to Jackson from the Coast and have unpacked both cars. About 15 minutes outside town, the bottom fell out of the sky and a beautiful rainbow filled the sky as we pulled into the neighborhood!

I've got most everything stored away, hubby has found the lemon crunch bundt cake left by an old friend and I'm sitting on our patio, having a Zen moment. Dog is always happy here with a nice yard and plenty of birds to watch.

Tomorrow we are grocery shopping for the essentials, lunching at our fav spot here (Anjou, French cuisine!) and that will be the last food I eat before surgery. A light fare, plenty of water, and an early night to bed.

I will get a call tomorrow for my surgery time and will post here promptly. So, SO happy to be this close to healing and starting anew!

Night, y'all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good Luck and enjoy the view and time with the dogs. Take care. Tashia
 
Hey @beachgal tolorrow's the big day! After all the preparation, apprehension and stress, you'll see how fast everything is over and you're free of the horrible pain! Very best of luck for your surgery and can't wait for post-op post! Bon courage et à très bientôt !
 
[Bonesmart.org] How do I hang in for these last few days pre-op??
@beachgal, with your surgery tomorrow. Looking forward to your first post from the "other side".

Take care, we care. [Bonesmart.org] How do I hang in for these last few days pre-op??
 
Got the call! I have to be at hospital at 6:30 am tomorrow! Then I heard from a friend in Medical Records that they tell ALL their surgery patients to be there at that time so I still may have to wait until the afternoon!!!
AAARRRGGGG!!!

One thing's for sure. My OS isn't leaving until he fixes my hip!!!

See y'all "over there"!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal ignore my few days of radio silence. Just wanted to drop in and wish you luck on your surgery. It really wasn't so great for me at first but when it started getting better it has switched over to doing nothing but that. A little pain and a little progress which leads to less pain usually.

I saw the arrival time and that just means you are getting it done in the morning. At the hospital I went to they line everyone up for 6ish check in times too. I was in the surgery room by 8:10 getting poked on and by 8:15 I remember the gas tasted funny (they said it would) and then I woke up a couple of minutes after they rolled me into the recovery room. No weirdness or combativness coming out... It was just like a dream.

Hope yours operation goes as smooth as mine did. Let's hope your post op is a little smoother though ☺
 
I totally understand ! I just wanted you to know that we care about you and your recovery. So glad to have your company on this journey!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom