How do I hang in for these last few days pre-op??

Status
Not open for further replies.
@IowaHip, I'll take a look at Xarelto. A friend's husband had THR and was prescribed the Lovenox shots. When she told me of the cost, I had to check with my pharmacy and she was spot on! When he had to have another THR, she refused to give him the shots and they prescribed a pill for blood thinning. Sounds like a racket to me...just saying...hence, my question to the nurse. I'll let you know what she says.

I'm popping ibuprofen every four hours now so I've got to give it up next week. But I don't think I can make ten days without some sort of pain med. As crazy as it sounds, I think I'm more emotionally balanced without the pain so that's reason enough to get some help. No tears now in two days!
 
@beachgal if you are getting by on Ibuprofen now, you should be able to do the same with Tylenol (or did I miss something).... Tylenol is perfectly fine to take in the week before surgery. For me, it worked pretty much the same as Advil.

Where are you having your surgery? Did I read somewhere you were travelling for it? During my final days and errand running, I encountered a store clerk (who asked why I was hobbling so badly with my cane) who told me her mother had just returned from a "destination hip replacement" --- she went to Hawaii for the surgery! Is that what you are doing?:giggle:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] How do I hang in for these last few days pre-op??
    dancy[1].gif
    1 KB · Views: 206
@beachgal, @Chessie, @IowaHip,
Beachgal has gotten lots of good advice about preparation for surgery. As for pain meds the last 10 days ( that's what my doc advised) I could only take Tylenol (acetemenphen) or tramadol. I found that the arthritis strength Tylenol(650 mg) was helpful. Actually the high powered meds now is only available as a generic. I took 2 in AM and tramadol later in the day. I hired some help to do house cleaning because my pain level was so high. Some nights I could no sleep well, so I took the generic brand of Tylenol PM. Be patient, and take deep cleansing breaths, as another person suggested. I got an e-book to start reading to get my mind off all these worries also.
 
@IowaHip, I WISH!! Actually we were in Hawaii last May and all my shenanigans there may have sped up the need to replace my hip!! HAHA! No, we live on the coast of MS and also have a small home in the Jackson area, about three hours north, so that's where I'll have the surgery and recovery time. Not nearly as elegant as Hawaii but away from this nasty Gulf during hurricane season which will start in earnest August/September. We use that little home for our evacuation home normally, so I'll already be there! Family nearby, too.

OK, so I've spoken with OS's nurse, well, actually I got a newbie who turned me over to his real nurse...
I can take Tylenol. No problem there. I'll switch over tonight from my Ibuprofen and play around with the dosage until I figure out the least amount possible to take for pain relief.

Regarding the Lovenox shots, I can just substitute a 325 mg aspirin, once a day, for ten days. DUH??? Are you kidding me? A $ 2.00 bottle of aspirin vs $ 600 Lovenox shots?? I asked her if there was any real difference and she said "No, just be sure to keep moving around every couple of hours"...like I wouldn't be doing that anyway??
Glad I asked. Will save $$$ for my new cocktail dress and dancing shoes.

OS also uses spinal block and a general. Happy about that.

Prosthesis is DuPuy, titanium ball/stem with ceramic covering and metal cup with polyethlene lining, or I may have that backwards...anyway, no metal on metal or ??? Sounds like the ceramic and poly are at the contact point?

I guess that's enough for today. I'm gaining speed as I head toward that OR!!!
 
@IowaHip, before I tried the Tramadol that my PC suggested, I tried Tylenol (also at her suggestion). I took 1000 mg, the max dose, a day. Two days I tried it. It did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Ibuprofen and Naproxin Sodium at least take the edge off for me. Tylenol is like taking a sugar pill for me. :nah:

It would be great if that worked for her though...a little pain relief is better than none!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal Funny I was freaking out from the pain and knowing I needed the surgery but was having a hard time finding a surgeon that did anterior approach and could get me in before August. They ask take vacations over the summers. My pt who I trust recommended someone and he actually ended up being perfect for me. I'm a school social worker with summers of so it was really important to be able to get this done while I was off. Once i saw him and the surgery was scheduled I became very calm. Until I went to that stupid joint class and realized I really hadn't been thinking about this very much. So I just focused in getting stuff done and waited until surgery day to freak out. I took hydrocodone up until and including the morning of my surgery. They told me no nsaids for like 7 days.
@Chessie good luck playing that guitar. I too had hopes of playing and writing. Problem is, it's very uncomfortable to sit up and its you can find a comfortable position you're supporting yourself and it gets really uncomfortable after maybe 10 minutes. Give it a couple weeks.

Good luck to you both!

I
 
Regarding the Lovenox shots, I can just substitute a 325 mg aspirin, once a day, for ten days. DUH??? Are you kidding me? A $ 2.00 bottle of aspirin vs $ 600 Lovenox shots?? I asked her if there was any real difference and she said "No, just be sure to keep moving around every couple of hours"...like I wouldn't be doing that anyway??

Isn't that RIDONKULOUS??!!?? Some of these drug companies really have a good thing going. Good grief.
 
@beachgal I'm in the same boat on the emotional side. @Chessie and I will be having the replacement on the same day. I have been struggling with quite a bit with all of this... Have even done some odd things like I stopped taking my pain meds. After the acute withdrawals time was crawling so slow I have started taking them again and I feel back to "normal". My tolerance at least dropped to half of what it was in my time off the narcotics. I too have prepared all that I can... Just down to a couple of things around the house before I'm done as I can be to walk into the hospital.

I have found quite a bit of comfort in doing a fair bit of spoiling.... Just things I normally would save for the weekend or whatever I have just started doing anytime I want. A couple nights ago went to the drive in to watch a movie.... No real reason... Was just something to do that was so far out of my routine that I didn't even think about the surgery or my hip. I have a hatchback and so just tossed a blanket in the back with pillows and enjoyed some time to myself. I'm finding myself doing more of these type of not my regular life things. I joke about it being my early life crisis(I'm only 32).

I was getting a little stir crazy living my normal life.... Found myself focusing too much on the surgery probably for my own good.

I will just say when pain was no longer an issue my quality of life improved quite a bit. Back to sleeping entire nights and I can do a little walking without having to retreat to my bed. I figure I will be in my bed enough post op that I don't want to be in it unless I am sleeping currently. I wish I had a recliner.
 
@rans0m00 , Hey we have the same hip-day! :snork: I can't wait for my surgery - I swear I am SO over this pain. I think because I stay so busy, I just don't have time to dwell on it and get too crazy. I even ran a little at lunch today - silly stubborn me wanted just one last short little run before the big day, since it will be a while before I can enjoy my favorite stress-buster again. :sad: But a couple of hours at the gym each night, and weekends doing yardwork or hitting the beach with my BF...not much time to worry about things. I just know that I want this pain gone, I want to walk without limping, I want my range of motion back. I want to be able to enjoy life again without living every single minute in pain. I am READY.
 
@Chessie oh my going for a run would be awesome but no luck.

I had a kid that froze out in a downpour of hail and I meant to speed walk to get her and instead I noticed I ran once I made it inside. I paid for that for a week. I learned at that point drugs can not mask all pain.

I was not and still am not totally OK with the surgery which is why I have delayed it so long. Also why I probably have an emotional rollercoaster with this.

I can still cycle so I do. My last will be this Saturday going for a night ride since it will be a full moon.

With beach gal... Idk the resolve but mine has just ended up with its getting done and I'm looking forward to post op week 3. My thread covers my weirdnesses with this but I admire your resolve.
 
I ran once I made it inside. I paid for that for a week. I learned at that point drugs can not mask all pain.

Agreed. Nothing masks that kind of pain. And yes, I pay for my runs, severely. That's why I have pretty much stopped running, or if I just have to, it's a very short one. And the pain from running is what sent me to a hip doc in the first place. I've been running for so long...very hard to quit for me, even with the pain after. :shrug:

I was not and still am not totally OK with the surgery which is why I have delayed it so long. Also why I probably have an emotional rollercoaster with this.

I think I am okay with it because I have done so much research, and talked to enough people that have had this done where I am completely satisfied that this is simply what I have to do. There is no other path or option where I would be happy. This is it. Once I had made my decision, I would have had the surgery that day if I could have.

I can still cycle so I do. My last will be this Saturday going for a night ride since it will be a full moon.

Oh yes, cycling is something that I have kicked into high gear lately. I ride about 50 miles a week, and I expect that will be the first thing that I get back to, after surgery. Really looking forward to getting back to everything else as well! :)
 
I took two Tylenol before bedtime last night and woke up hurting like crazy around 2 a.m. I read the directions for normal use and it says take two every 6 hours, not to exceed 8 in a 24 hour period. I'm not sure if this is going to work for me...I may be calling the OS's nurse back today for a prescription. I'm disappointed, for sure.

You guys talking about running, cycling, swimming, amaze me! I've been hobbling around for so long, I cannot imagine being able to walk a mile. I AM resolved to this surgery and am confident that I've made the best choices based on all that I know. I'm starting to feel my shoulders drop with relaxation. I'm sure it will be a roller coaster ride for the next two weeks but I'm ready.
 
@beachgal Well when I am talking about being active I pay dearly for it. You have stayed on the non-narcotic side which if you can do that then I think its awesome. I am heading into surgery with a tolerance that I joke about with the other counselors but inside I am sitting here thinking the only thing that separates me from the client is my addiction is almost purely physical and I am walking on a partially dead bone... very much a conflict of interest on my part.... some of the counselors do not approve but they are pretty old school... like might not get numbed when they go in for a filling.

Without pain meds I have been reduced to really laying around and just short walking (maybe less than 15 minutes per day). On the 4th I attempted to do it med free and it took me 20 minutes and quite a bit of effort to make it a block on fairly flat ground. I just let my partner head on and I turned around for the car to grab some medication since I didn't have any on me. In the end I was able to enjoy the 4th on a blanket with my partner but my dreams were definitely bigger than my abilities.

I am going through with the surgery I am pretty sure of it. I have an anxiety disorder so I plan to ask them for IV valium or something stronger in pre-op so I am calm and don't do anything crazy like get wheeled into the OR and decide I can't do it. The chances of that are fairly low... but I know myself well enough that if they send my anxiety high enough I really might do something odd. I have had to coach family members and my partner about all of this so if I do they can reorient me.

I know my decision is the right one... I regret not doing it sooner to be honest. I have had talks about where this was headed for a couple of months now but after I was unable to complete a couple of hour car drive while fully medicated (almost 100mg of oxycodone).... I just decided that day that I need to move forward with this surgery. That was about 3 weeks ago... so I went from masking my pain and really denying quite a bit of the problem to its in my face fairly fast. Its been a mental struggle for me.... I know its not giving up but I still feel like I am partially. This is not the right way to think about it but I am very much a fighter.... and to go from I will do this next summer to lets do it now... its been a mental struggle.

It is still beyond my comprehension that I will go in and after just getting over the pain of surgery that I will be pain free.... I haven't been pain free in so long I don't remember what its even like to wake up in the morning and just get on with my day. I have to set my alarm a little earlier now because getting moving does take so much more time.

Try not to be too discouraged about the pain meds.... I wish I could have been taking nsaid's but my body wont tolerate them. In the end getting full nights sleep and enjoying this week was fully worth the trade off. We have all been hurting too long and even altering our lifestyles because of the pain... Your Dr is going to give you what he will give you but on my end for nights I prefer extended release meds. I first started on just instant release and every 4hrs my hip would wake me and I would have to take another pill then wait for it to kick in before the pain would go down enough I could get back to sleep. The extended release med I am on lasts roughly 10hrs. They have patches that go 3 days too but I wouldn't be just jumping at the 3 day thing if you don't need it. I am fairly knowledgeable about narcotics from work and dealing with this for so long. If you want to hear the ups and downs of them feel free to ask and I will share some of my knowledge.

@Chessie I really delayed this so long... before I even saw the ortho I had gone from running 20+ miles for my Friday stress relief (during the week running 9-13 miles every other day) to having to crawl up the stairs because my leg wouldn't tolerate the additional force needed to climb the stairs. I went NWB for almost 2yrs trying to avoid surgery but in the end it obviously did not work.
 
I took two Tylenol before bedtime last night and woke up hurting like crazy around 2 a.m. I read the directions for normal use and it says take two every 6 hours, not to exceed 8 in a 24 hour period. I'm not sure if this is going to work for me...I may be calling the OS's nurse back today for a prescription. I'm disappointed, for sure.

Sorry @beachgal. That is exactly the experience I (and most other people) have had with Tylenol and this kind of pain. Max dosage of acetaminophen is 4000 mg a day. If you are taking Extra-Strength Tylenol, those are 500 mg, so that is the 8 per day. I would try up to the max but certainly no more than that. THIS is why Tylenol does not work for me (I know I have a lot of inflammation!)

"Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is used to treat pain. Unlike some medications for pain, Tylenol does not have anti-inflammatory effects. Often, however, in cases of chronic pain, no inflammation is at the site of the pain, and thus Tylenol may be an appropriate treatment choice. "

https://orthopedics.about.com/od/medicati3/p/medications.htm

I think your pain is much more advanced than mine, so I can't imagine that Tylenol would do anything for it. I would definitely give your OS office a call and let them know you need something for pain this last few days so that you can at least rest. Tramadol is usually the drug of choice from what I have heard, and it does work for me.

You guys talking about running, cycling, swimming, amaze me! I've been hobbling around for so long, I cannot imagine being able to walk a mile. I AM resolved to this surgery and am confident that I've made the best choices based on all that I know. I'm starting to feel my shoulders drop with relaxation. I'm sure it will be a roller coaster ride for the next two weeks but I'm ready.

You see, this is why I am having this surgery NOW, while I am still able to walk and be somewhat mobile. I am a person that pushes through pain...but it hurts like a b*tch! The pain is already keeping me from sleeping at night, and already restricting certain activities. I don't have any desire to have to accommodate the drastic changes in my life that would be required with further deterioration. Nope. Not going there. :tada:

I am so glad you are feeling more relaxed and confident!! I think you are right - it WILL be a roller-coaster ride, but we will be laughing with joy at the end of it! :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@rans0m00, I am betting that you will be on cloud 9 after this surgery - you have really been through the mill!
 
@rans0m00, I'm depending on you to walk through this fire with shining colors and be determined NOT to delay it any longer! You are much too young to have mobility issues with pain and just think of all you will be able to enjoy in your life "after hip"! OMG! I'll be your loudest cheerleader...don't back out!
 
@Chessie, you're smart to take the plunge before it really gets horrible. The OS first told me that I'd probably need a hip replacement in 2008 and I just laughed! At the time, I had a little nagging pain but certainly nothing that would remotely resemble needing this extensive surgery...I thought he was nuts! I don't think it was the time to do it then, but I really have waited longer than I should have. Life just gets in the way and you delay...I've shared the responsibility for our ill Mother with my three sisters from 2009-2012 when she died, had put off trips with hubby that we rescheduled in 2013, and so here I am....2014 is the year of a new hip!

Got a call in for pain meds....more to follow!
 
@Chessie That is why I am going through with it. The other side has to be better than this. Come December I am expecting cloud 9. Initially I am keeping my hopes fairly low so I don't have the chance to be disappointed or try to push myself too hard(I almost always do).

@beachgal When it comes down to it I will just push through it and come out on the other side maybe a little grouchy while at the hospital but beyond that things will be good. The hardest part of this has been the wait. When I called my Dr he asked when I wanted to do it and my response was tomorrow if that works for you. I was just joking with him but meaning as soon as possible. The wait has given me time to second guess myself... have this emotional rollercoaster thing... some very low pain days that I am like "this isn't so bad"... thankfully my partner is good at redirection. I will get on these kicks and she is quick to remind me of the lower quality of life I have settled for compared to how I used to be... keeps me on track.
 
Hi Beachgal,
I know how you feel. I've known I am having the surgery on July 24th since June 17th!!!! I wish they could have just shipped me over on the 17th, believe me.
Here's what I have done. I have used "white light." I don't talk about my surgery and I go about my days, doing my errands to get ready, and I am reading, reading, reading, like you wouldn't believe...but NOT about hip surgery. You have to get away from that. I am into trilogies, Young Adult lol. It's a great escape. I know that at this time next month I am going to be kicking some butt so here's something you can do. Practice putting on your shoes with the long shoe horn and also go get a reacher and practice putting on your boxers and shorts because physical therapists are going to want to see that you can do that.
Tell you what. Since I go a few days before you, I will be sure to post something in Post Op so you can see I am fine, as you will be.
 
I swear my pain has gotten worse since I set a date and it annoys the heck out of me because I feel like it's in my head.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom