How do I hang in for these last few days pre-op??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent ten hours at the office today, working through lunch and another week will put me in a good place to leave for. 8 weeks. When I close the door behind me, I'm center stage.

I get pre - op lab work and tests done Wednesday. I'll also get things in place for rehab since the next time we're here will be for the big day.

Hubby and I cried together this afternoon. I think he gets it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The amazing part of the whole thing is we think that our place of business will fall apart without us there and it never seems to. This is your time to take care of you.. Work will manage and you will be better than ever when you come back:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@beachgal , @psychteach, I have just one more day at work - Monday. I have promised them that I will be back in 2 weeks - and truly they are counting on that as we have some things going on that weekend that I am usually a part of. But even if I wind up not making it back then, I can log in from home and work (I'm a computer geek), so I don't have any qualms about work at all. I am good to go. :)
 
My plan is to work from home after two weeks and back to the office 2-4 weeks after that. I'm hoping I'm not still too loopy from drugs or exhaustion at two weeks.
 
I would have been good to go after 3 or4 weeks but I teach so I am on my feet all day and walk a lot around campus. I am very lucky that it will be 12 weeks post op when I return to work as it is summer and that is one of the big perks in teaching:) summers off:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@beachgal glad to hear you have someone close to you that can empathize with your situation.

I know the typical male thing is we are not supposed to cry but I have done the same thing with my partner. It felt really good too.

My work plans are none for the next while. Thankfully in a position I don't have to work much if I don't want to. School starts back mid August though and I will be there for day one. Already informed my partner and she will be taking off if I need help for the first couple of weeks at school.

I hope your pain is under control. Mine is back under control which means I am getting much better sleep and it doesn't feel like I am always running on empty. It has been a huge help for keeping my peace of mind.
 
Today has been a rehearsal of my not being at our coast home. Hubby and dog act like they're on vacay! On some level, I'm relieved that they seem ok but I know it will be strange when I'm not here. I'm stocking up the kitchen with enough food and such for a month. Paper towels, soap, laundry detergent, toilet tissue, etc are things he will not miss until he realizes he's out! Easy to prevent that meltdown.

I have my last pot of veggie soup simmering and will freeze it later. Brownies in the oven, too. We're all better with chocolate. Haha

I'm packing my clothes for recovery time to take when I travel for lab work next week. There are a few other things, too, but our home there is pretty ready.

All of these preparations have been therapeutic for me. We walked the dog at the harbor this morning just after a rainstorm and the beauty of it all was uplifting. Again, perspective.

I'm ready.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@psychteach, yeah, if I was on my feet all day it would be a different story, but I am in a chair. I might have to figure out a way to elevate my leg at work though...just depends on how it is doing. Other than that, I don't forsee any issues at the office.
 
@beachgal. I pray that you keep inner peace about the surgery. I know I was beside myself the weeks before surgery, but everything was fine and I feel so much better now that I'm post op. Before surgery, I could barely walk because of the pain, never mind being able to exercise. I do admire the people that can run and exercise prior to surgery, but each of us are different in our journey. Now I look forward to long walks again, exercise, and just being able to have a more active life. I'm so thankful for this surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wannabebrave, striving to hold onto that peace. I'm at our Jackson area home this afternoon, getting a few things ready for next week. I have pre-op labwork tomorrow.

A bit teary while puttering about. I remembered how comforting it was to have my Mom with me after my hysterectomy years ago and she's not here for this adventure. No replacement for Mom but hubby and sisters will keep me in check.

@muckingabout, I hate bad dreams. Don't let the weirdness of scary stuff on your sleep derail your determination. It will all be ok. :/)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay Beachgal, you are preparing as most of us do, but for reassurance purposes remember we all make too big a deal out of this. Remember when you had a different surgery and it wasn't that big a deal, same here. But who am I to say when I think back to some preparations I made. Funny now when I look back. You will be in and out, and two weeks will fly by and all will be fine...
 
Thanks @beachgal I just got back from buying a recliner for my recovery and the saleswoman was a hippy. Definitely made me feel better. She was a happy two years in.
 
@waterman1, you're right. When I look at all the stuff I've bought to help with recovery and rehab, I'm embarrassed. It all seems so life-altering and I know it will be but in the BEST way. I'm not living the kind of life I'm meant to have as I am now. This surgery is my ticket to freedom. With all the dread, there are still no words to express my excitement at the prospect of being able to shop all day with my sisters or take our dog for a walk.

I've just got to keep my big-girl panties handy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back on the coast tonight after pre-op stuff today in Jackson. They did bloodwork but didn't have to do chest X-ray or EKG since I just had both done in April for IT Band release surgery. All good. Everything is on GO!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yay! My pre-OP testing and hip class is this Monday. I'm finding my biggest challenge to be simultaneously preparing for surgery and trying not to think about it.
 
@muckingabout, no truer words were ever written, at least on this forum. I'm SO tired of talking and thinking about this surgery but everything I do now is geared to that goal....my mind needs a break! I'm hoping that hubby and I can have a few lunches/dinners out and maybe catch a movie before next Friday...just do some of the normal stuff we do without all this drama....

It's tough. Just got my hair cut & colored until after .... well, you know....mani/pedi with no clippers/scissors on Monday ... honestly, I'll be thrilled for it to be a non-topic any longer around our house!

:heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom