How do I hang in for these last few days pre-op??

Status
Not open for further replies.
lots of good advice here - especially the last bit -
once my surgery was scheduled, i prepared (see my thread - "the journey begins") but i also played guitar a lot, went out with friends, and basically forgot about it as much as i could (but I also installed a roku box for streaming video so i'd have something to look forward to when i came home - house of cards on netflix is great . . . )

the morning of surgery i could no longer be in denial - so i took a 5mg Valium (1st in my life) and that took the edge off - by the next morning, i was so happy to be done that i could have dealt with any pain, etc -
and it sound like your husband will be able to take care of all your post-op needs as they arise -

the anticipation is far worse than the actual event - go out, have some fun and celebrate the wonderful 61 years that your hip gave you - on to the next 61 . . .
 
So, I think everyone needs something to look forward to when facing something as daunting as THR and hubby came in with a plan this morning. He has booked us a long weekend in NYC for our 20th anniversary in November. Plane tickets, hotel room at our fav place, a special dinner reservation, and it's up to me to pick the shows, etc. that we will see. Looks like a carrot to me!!

:wow:
 
now you're talkin' - :)

we have a trip planned to croatia in november, or i'd ask to join you at a show -
we also walk in the Macys Thanksgiving Parade as balloon handlers every year for the past 11 yrs -
i was thinking that i would miss this one, but with the new hips, i'm very hopeful . . .

btw - if you like 60s-70s music, the show Beautiful was a lot of fun -
book of mormon was great - but you have to have that type of sense of humor -
there are so many good ones . . . you can't go wrong -
 
I am married to an amazing man who thinks God and I created the universe so this surgery has rocked his world but I think he's getting his legs back.

I told him that I may be slow and we may have to adjust pace but just the thought of a celebration was enough for him. Room service at the Waldorf Towers ain't half bad for an anniversary dinner! My plan, though, is to walk the Brooklyn Bridge to a fav pizza parlor and taxi back!! Another goal!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful @beachgal !

I too have a husband who believes the same. His world was totally rocked when I was raced into ICU immediately from Recovery and he spent five days 24/7 with me, I was unconscious and fighting for life. The final night he came home to get some sleep and flopped into bed at 10 PM only to be woken with a phone call saying .... 'This is xyz hospital and we are ringing up about Mrs xyz.......) - I can only imagine the immediate thoughts that went through his semi waking mind...

Yes it rocks our soul mates worlds, but they recover, adore us more, bring us closer (if possible) and we, you and I recover.. and you will my dear xx
 
@Poppet, you are the salve for my soul. Thank you for the private but public innermost thoughts from a lover. This is not the end of my life (and his), it's the start!! :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cr8tvt, how fun to handle those massive balloons! I'd love that!

Croatia is one of our favorite places. Love Dubrovnik and Split. If you need a good ref for wine tour of hill country from Dubrovnik, let me know. We had one of the best!

Saw Book of Mormon and thought we'd have to leave but couldn't quit laughing. So raw! Beautiful is on the short list. We try to go every year so we've seen most of the offerings. We also love the Met and may opt for Carmen! Hubby wants to train to Kykuit which would be a fun day along the Hudson. Oh, just the thought if being able to do it all makes me smile!! Come on, rehab!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
you'll be here before you know it - :)

we'll be on a tour in croatia, etc - but any tips are welcome (we often leave the tour for a day or 2 when warranted . . . ) - feel free to send me a private msg instead of boring everyone else with travelogs . . . :)
 
Isn't there a famous pizza place under that bridge?
Why not go there? :)
Its great to have a goal, for sure..... :yes!: go for it! :yes:
 
Workload completed! Just a couple loose ends to tie up Monday/Tuesday and I'll say "au revoir" to my office until Labor Day! It's been easier to get ready to leave than I thought it would be. I stuck to my planned schedule and everything sort of fell into place.

Pain level is increasing a bit but I really think it's more from knowing that I just have a few more days to tolerate it than anything. I'm going to try and stay off my feet more next week prior to surgery. That helps. Happy Sunday, everyone, as I plan to be away from computer, Iphone, and anything remotely electronic tomorrow!
:giggle:
 
Happy to report that I had a great "last day" at the office today. I'll sneak in to do a few things tomorrow, to pack up the work that I'll take with me, gather up all my hip paperwork, binder from hospital, etc. and get my car ready to roll. Hubby and dog coming in his car so I'll have wheels as soon as I'm cleared to drive. One less vehicle to move in case of hurricane alert...yuck...let's don't go there...

I feel like it's approaching Christmas and I've been making my list and checking it twice. And rechecking again.
I'm ready, guys....reading the posts of others who are ahead of me in "July" has made me feel like the last soul chosen for the soccer team...y'all, don't leave me behind.....I'm coming.....

:dubious:
 
I'm waiting for ya @beachgal ! Have a safe trip and enjoy the next few days. Friday will be here before you know it!

(I am getting around pretty good - and I am 6 days out! )
 
so great to hear that you're feeling better about this -
i'm 18 days post op bilateral and i'm walking mostly with a cane, doing stairs, etc.

and please forget about your job for at least a week post op -
you'll have enough to focus on just relaxing and healing. just relax and enjoy the vacation. find a book or 2 that you would have loved to take to the beach so you can look forward to spending time with them starting 7/26 -
 
I'm in the middle of "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt, a MS author who won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2014. Loving it. A couple dozen more on my Kindle, waiting their turn.

Clients are so cool. I'm making a bigger deal of working during rehab than necessary. Can do all online in just a few hours.

One project that does have my commitment is locating classmates from high school for our class reunion next year. We're still missing 100 or so and I'll be stalking the internet to find them in August. Our next planning meeting is in November and I want a gold star.


My prayer through all this is not to miss the miracles. God puts them in our lives every day and we are too busy to recognize them. I want to see them and own them as mine.

I'll post something tomorrow that I read about trauma. It's food for thought. Now, dinner and wine with my sweetie is ready. So am I!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout, I'm always SO happy with a stack! Add my recommendation to your stack and you can thank me later. It will rock your world. Did you ever read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle"?? Another great book if you love dogs and what they do to people.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom