TKR Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!

I have a good friend that paid over a thousand dollars for a brace after her knee surgery and found it too uncomfortable to use. That was money wasted. If I were you, I'd pass on the brace. You have the wheelchair, if needed, and a cane. That brace will become an aggravation to you, more than likely. Let you knee heal at it's own pace and the way it is supposed to heal.
 
I hate braces. Even when I was running on my jacked up, arthritic knees, after my meniscus tear, I could stand wearing a knee brace. Hot, sweaty, always rolling down off my thighs, ugh. I used KT TAPE for support but all the money I've ever spent on knee braces was a waste. $1000? OMG. Thud.
 
Wow.... guess I should have waited maybe....on the leg brace that is.... But yes I went for it - My brace is the kind that you use only at rest. Now if you had extended health care from a company you would have it 100% covered in Canada but because I was self employed I have no extra insurance to cover this in Canada.
The leg brace is not meant for walking. For the trip it will be good on the 6.5 hour plane ride but not when I get up. Well it cost me over $500 to rent and I got the DynaFlex extension brace. I had a big day today after the physio guy left so not a good test for the leg extension gadgit but right now I have it on and it hurts! But.... I spent 3 hours waiting for a specialist today for another issue and sat in a chair. I actually did not know I could even do that! So good and bad about that. Then I went grocery shopping and to the wine store by myself and I made it thru! But after 2 hours with my Extension brace the pain is not too bad. No pain pills yet but icing. It hurts but not like it use to. So this brace is for when you are at rest - reading a book, watching TV. I works with a metal spring mechanism that slowly but surely places pressure that extends your leg to straighten it. Will let you know how I make out as I so need my leg to straighten so my back and ankle quit aching. Big hugs to everyone! Having wine tonight! Just a wee bit! xo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The leg brace is not meant for walking. For the trip it will be good on the 6.5 hour plane ride but not when I get up.
Please don't use that brace for 6.5 hours on a plane! You need to keep moving your leg while flying, so you avoid getting a blood clot (deep vein thrombosis).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Celle is right about the need to move your leg frequently. Plus you'd be in a lot of discomfort after wearing that brace on a flight. Besides, unless you are flying First Class, there isn't enough room in today's airline seats to extend your leg as straight as you would have it in that brace.
 
You are right Celle and Jamie! I was not thinking blood clots could be an issue now but you are right as they can happen even without knee surgery. So plan B - Wear my (not the surgical type) compression stockings on the plane, ice, get up and move around and elevate as much as I can in my bulk head seat with pillow/blanket.
Using my DynaFlex extension brace to straighten my leg when I am at rest currently. Had it on for 4 hours last night and 4 hours this morning already. I can actually see a difference already! There is very small amount of pain using it. Not taking pain pills. But also important is to keep my ROM - so taking it off now and will walk and use my bike. Thank you for the heads up about the blood clot... My Mom died of this after hip surgery so I of all people should remember to take precautions on this. Thank you and hugs everyone!
 
I have trouble with Meloicam---I too 15 mg for six days and gained 5 lbs!! I stopped and peed for two days straight!!

I know take an occasional 7.5 mg---but do not take it for over a week as it causes water retention for me. My OS told me that it is a common problem. So, watch your weight if you take it for an extended period.
 
I'm glad you're seeing an improvement and can tolerate the brace. When do you leave on your trip?
 
I have trouble with Meloicam---I too 15 mg for six days and gained 5 lbs!! I stopped and peed for two days straight!!

I know take an occasional 7.5 mg---but do not take it for over a week as it causes water retention for me. My OS told me that it is a common problem. So, watch your weight if you take it for an extended period.

I developed cystitis. I thought it was a UTI.:flabber:
 
Maybe my new drug Meloxicam 15 mg will be different for me. I have not gained weight on it and in just a week my knee for the first time in 4.5 years is not swollen like a beehive at my knee. So all is good so far for me. Just take them for 6 weeks. I LEAVE FOR ALASKA THIS MORNING ON THE JET PLANE! Well Vancouver, B.C. first - 2 weeks! It will be wonderful! I have my zip locks for the ice on the plane, putting on my compression stockings (not surgical but meant for daywear/flying) Taking my brace in my suitcase for leisure laying down time "off the plane" THE BRACE - It is working! I can walk so much better and my back is a lot better. Still have a ways to go but it is straightening! Wear the brace so far for about 7 hours a day while I watch TV. Not sure how much I can wear it while away but some is better than none. My leg is going to get a workout as some of my excursions are 6 hours long whale watching on a boat, glaciers etc But I will take it easy and sit it out when I have to. Thank you all so much for your help! Huge hugs Marilynne
 
Enjoy! Alaska is beautiful.

Do try to schedule some time for rest each day.
 
Been just over 3 weeks since I was on here and I am back! The flight to Vancouver I needed the ice and Air Canada gave me ice packs - The cruise to Alaska - I only used the wheelchair 2 days to tour the ship the first two days but look out world the rest of the trip I walked, hiked and was very active on my own - no cane/wheelchair or anything - The flight home was excellent and did not even need the ice! All of the exercise , the walking, the having to climb up and down the gang plank on and off the ship worked wonders on my knee! I have no pain and I can walk with my back straight, shoulders back and NO limp! I am better than I have been in years! I think the dynaflex brace worked a bit to straighten my leg but I believe 80% came from just pure exercise and being active. Did 4 hours of gardening yesterday and today went out on my boat for a few hours. Hiked for over 2 hours on the natural trails in Vancouver in the woods when I was there last week. Feel so alive and wonderful I can walk normally! My leg is almost straight now but alas it is not a fairy tale yet as I still only have 92 degree extension. Going to the gym, working on my stationary bike and going on the treadmill with elevation 2.5. This will all help! You know it was just 16 or 17 weeks ago when I thought I would never be pain free and I was very depressed. Now I feel so happy and alive with no pain and being able to do just about anything at the moment! Big hugs to all of you out there that have helped me! xo
 
Welcome back. I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise and your knee behaved so well. :happydance: :yay:

I'm so pleased for you.
 
What wonderful news! Welcome back!
 
I wanted to share my good news! My new knee is now just over 6 months old. My knee has healed and you can hardly see my scar that much. Best of all I have NO PAIN! I can do so many things like : run a bit, stand for a long time, do any household chores, go up and down stairs normally and best of all I can get myself up off the ground! I get up not pretty ..... but I get up! AND I can dance! Danced for over 3 hours straight about a week ago.
That said I have found my worst problem is not my knee now - It is lack of stretching and using my muscles! I am going to a personal trainer once a week and she makes me get down on the ground exercises, stepping up onto a tall box, many stretching exercises and boy oh boy do I need this! Also started the gym and I can do almost everything but there are still things that are a struggle like push ups and sit ups... been a long time since I used my tummy muscles and strengthened my core. So I still have a long way to go but my knee is really good. I only have 100 degrees for ROM but it is improving as I stretch, go for long walks and challenge going up and down stairs everyday. I LOVE my new knee now! And it gives me no pain!!!! No pills! I have numbness in my knee and it gets a wee bit sore when I exercise but there is nerve damage for sure in my knee and still scar tissue that needs to keep moving. So I am not perfect but sooooo happy! Big hugs to all who helped me as you made my journey so much easier by your knowledge of the pain pills I was taking and also just knowing I was not alone! Big hugs and keep smiling out there! xxxxooo Marilynne in Canada
 
Hello, again. So glad you're doing well.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom