TKR Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!

It sounds like you are doing great! Wonderful! That pain is something else, isn't it? But, I know how huge of a blessing it is when it's gone! Like you said, just a little soreness or discomfort. You will find each week, if you take it easy, you will be able to do more with less pain!
 
It's wonderful to hear you are feeling so much better. :yes!: :yay:

Slow, steady and gentle really is the best way for this recovery.

By the way, all those lumps and bumps you can feel beneath your scar will gradually go away, all by themselves. Massage them if you like, and if it doesn't hurt, but doing that really isn't necessary. Nature is pretty good at doing the job of healing, without our help.
 
Should have listened to you guys who know! I went too fast, too hard this week and OUCH! My pain is level 5 and took 1 Tramaset pain pill. Have been off the pain meds for almost a week but..... Had a dinner party on Monday where I cleaned the house, cooked and tried not to play hostess but I did WAY TOO SOON AT 9 or 10 WEEKS TO THROW A DINNER PARTY! And then yep I let a physio therapist push back and also push down on my knee - Felt not so bad the day she did it later on but the next day and day 2 after OUCH! So will not do that again. Been having company, drank alcohol again 3 days this week - my body is NOT READY! So off the alcohol once again and taking it slower. I went from doing the bike, doing up stairs normally, walking without a limp to today..... I can hardly walk and when I awoke I could not lay my foot flat as my leg was so frozen bent. So I learned a good lesson! GO AS Celle says above and Josephine & many others have always said - Slow, Steady and gentle is the best way for this recovery. And yes I had NO SLEEP LAST NIGHT. My own fault so back to Slow, steady and gentle. hugs Marilynne
 
It will probably take you at least a week to over come your visit to the ODIC. Don't do anything you don't have to do. Just ice and elevate all the time you can sit. You really over did it this time! Baby that baby knee!
 
I hosted Christmas Eve a month from infection surgery and 2 months TKR, the key is to balance activity with rest/ice/elevation. I'd put meat on the stove to brown for lasagna, then elevate for a while, put together the lasagna, then elevate. On another day I'd dust, but rest between rooms, another day I'd vacuum and most importantly, let everyone know I wasn't waiting on them. I put everything out, sat to run my antibiotics through the PICC line and someone brought ME a plate!

Remember 3 months to begin feeling normal and 12 months until you're totally recovered. You can get back to normal life slowly by balancing activity with rest.
 
Very good advice Karri! Getting a bit better - No pain meds again. going to exercise today on my own as I do not want to seize up or loose what I have which is only 102 ROM! I find I cannot stand and walk for very long even if I take it easy. About 30 minutes and I am looking for a chair! Is this normal at my stage of 10 weeks? We are going on a Alaskan cruise and Vancouver in 3 weeks! I am now wondering where I can rent a wheelchair ; ( Which is a huge bummer as I want to walk for hours in their huge forests and see waterfalls etc etc.... So will see where I can rent one just in case and I have one rented already on the cruise ship in case I need it for long walks or something. Plan on walking on my own without a cane but we will see. Always good to have a back up!
 
You will not lose ROM or seize up if you don't exercise. Just use your knee every day. If you lose ROM it's because you have over exercised and it swells. That cuts down your ability to bend it. Definitely get a wheelchair for your trip. You will need one!
 
Even when I went back to teaching part time at 12 weeks standing for long periods was difficult. I had seats situated around the room to relive my knee. So, I believe that's perfectly normal. I think you should take a cane with you on your trip. Walking unassisted when your knee isn't ready will bring on swelling = pain. I was also using a cane at 12 weeks. You may want to call the airports to arrange for transport as that can be quite a hike. Take a look at this link.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/flying-soon-after-surgery.13054/
 
If you have a trip like that coming up in a mere 3 weeks, then it's even more important that you NOT overwork your knee. Take this 3 weeks to just do mild exercises on your own once or twice a day. No errands, no cleaning, no cooking or standing for more than that 15-20 minutes. Keep in your mind that you cannot "work" your way toward recovery.
 
When I was at 10 weeks, my doctor told me I should have one hour of lying on the couch for every two hours that I was up. Instead of a wheel chair, why don't you see if you can rent a scooter both on the ship and on the tours. They are easier to manuver and you can move on your own power. Besides, they look like fun!!
 
Excellent advice as you really do think you can just put your knee and fix it! But nope slow & steady! GREAT NEWS!!!!! My determination doing exercises slow and easy has brought my ROM from 102 to 115 in just over a week! Too funny.... The physio guy asked - "Want me to push it to 120?" I said a big NO! LOL But I will get there. Going on the stationary bike for 5 minutes at a time, doing the wooden leg slide still but just once a day, sitting on a chair and doing the leg bend under the chair using my other leg to push backwards and stretching - stretching my back, my legs, my arms. And icing twice a day. **What do you think of a knee support that is elasticized and pulls on your knee. Would that help me on the cruise?? Have the wheelchair booked but plan on being active - going on a boat (without the wheelchair) whale watching but the rest of the adventures can include the wheelchair as I do not want to be in pain - there to have fun! And also I want to make it to wherever I want to go. Going in the hot tub tonight - It is salt water and it should be good for me! Cheers!
 
I'm confused by your question concerning the elasticized support that pulls on your knee for your trip. Getting around on your trip is really all you need. I think the thing you mentioned would cause pain and if I was going away I wouldn't want to be in pain.
 
@Rainbow27 If you are going to be sitting for longer periods while flying to your point of embarkation for the cruise, you might consider wearing some light duty compression socks to help keep blood from pooling in your lower leg. I wore mine round trip to South America. They were not uncomfortable even after 24 hours.

But not the industrial compression wear we get at the hospital :yikes:
 
What a great article written by Josephine! Zip lock bags for the ice on the airplane is a great idea as well as the other points. So yes compressions socks, zip locks, wheelchair assistance, pillow/blankets for elevation and extra time. All great points as my flight is almost 6 hours long. I have booked my seats with extra leg room - Cost me $460 extra to buy these seats but worth it. Thank you Celle and Arttie for your help!!!
I have a big problem here in Ontario, Canada. Last Thursday - 2 physio therapists - very experienced - said I have to exercise 3 times a day ever day - Friday I ran into a fellow at the marina and he said he could tell by my walk I had a knee replacement - His wife had it done and had to exercise "3 time a day" He had a friend and she still walks like me 2 years later (with a bent leg) he said her leg is frozen this way and she is handicapped from not exercising enough like his wife did. My good friend who had her knee done a year ago sent a message yesterday, Sunday and asked if I could return her ice machine used to reduce swelling. I told her I was still having a terrible time and that I was still using it daily. Told her my range is only 115. She said she would come over soon this week and that she suspects I am not exercising 3 times a day.
I am not making this up - I get this every week from someone to exercise more - push hard like you are at the gym!..... I believe everyone on this site but why oh why is everyone I meet here telling me 3 x 1 hour a day exercises a day or you are doomed.... ; ( I am getting better! You are right - exercise or not it comes along. I feel the skin actually coming loose from whatever it was stuck on. Not a painful let go just extra motion around the knee area.
I am exercising only 1 hour per day plus 3 x 1 hour sessions with physio therapists a week on different days.
I do not know what I would have done without this site - the medication information/help - the support during my depression after surgery and just knowing I was not alone! The hard pain is ALL gone. I will CARRY ON and really hoping this trip will be just the thing to get me into real motion. I can walk up and down stairs now! Slowly but I can do it! big hugs Marilynne
 
These people are telling you this because they just don't know any better....including the therapists. Be tough! You know what works for you and what doesn't. It's you're recovery! Own it!!!! Extra activity will not bring you better or faster results.

Look these folks in the eye, thank them and tell them you're doing what works for you. Then change the subject or walk away with the confidence that you know your body better than they do.
 
Thanks Jamie! I am progressing! Every knee is different *Which I learned here! LOL And they are! I was crippled for over 4 years bone on bone. If I were to really think about it I probably have less pain now than before surgery and maybe even more mobility. I will get to the 120 ROM that I want! Big hugs back at you!
 
I agree with Jamie. Just thank all your "helpful" advisers and tell them that your knee is right where it should be and you are doing what suits it best.
Remember that you are in charge of looking after your knee - not anyone else.
 
This makes me feel more positive and sure that I will succeed! Thank you! Question - I have such a terrible time sleeping! I get to sleep okay but 2 hours later I am awake every hour with a sore back, sore knee - no position seems to help. I sleep on my side - now with my new knee however this causes my back to hurt and my knee wakes me up. I try sleeping on my back as it will straighten up my leg better but it is really uncomfortable. I get up at 5 am to elevate with ice my knee and put the heating pad on my back but would love to just wake up normally at 8am like I use to. Any ideas what will help?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom