TKR Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!

Have you tried Tylenol PM? It helped me to get back into my sleep rhythm and handled aches and pains as well. I took just one before going to bed but you can take two.
 
Sleep problems are quite common for months after a knee replacement. Karri's suggestion is a good one. Try some Tylenol every 4 hours.
 
I hear it all the time, too. Only the repeated refrain is "work hard at Pt. It's painful, but you gotta push through it!" From everyone. Even a teacher at my sons school who had a TKR. Push hard. Push through the pain and do your Pt. From everyone. It's maddening. I'm over here with my baby knee and it's hard to stand against that tide of "advice" but I'm doing my best.

Do you sleep with your cryo cuff on? I do. I don't know if it's why, but I've had an amazingly easy time with sleep at night. I expected to have a harder time. I can't nap much anymore, but night sleep comes fast & easy.
 
Try not to listen to all the misguided advice. It's never right to push through the pain.
 
Try elevating and icing all during the night. That would help your knee discomfort. And I agree with KarriB, Tylenol PM is quite helpful.
 
Thanks for the advice! I have some Tylenol and will take it tonight. I have been trying to stay with no pain meds but Tylenol is not the heavy oxycoden I was taking before. So 11 weeks now! I looked up cryo cuff but I think what I have is a Kodiak polar care which has a long hose hooked up to an ice container that I plug in. Do not think I could sleep with it but you know I never tried it. Will check it out! GREAT NEWS! I can walk normal! Maybe not all the time but if I concentrate and I am loosened up I can walk totally normal! I did an hour of gardening today, walked the dog for 15 minutes and am doing some cooking/dishes. I can feel myself getting back to a normal life and love it! Thank you everyone! I am going to watch TV in bed for a bit and see if I can sleep with my ice machine +Plus I am taking a couple of tylenol. Oh to have 8 hours of sleep.... It has been a long 11 weeks without it! Big hugs back to everyone! Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo so I think I will celebrate with a Margarita!
 
What a good report! You are doing so well. I hope the ice helps you out tonight.
 
Just be sure you're not drinking alcohol and taking the Tylenol doses of 1000mg. Both are processed through your liver and it's best to be safe and not over-stress this very important organ!
 
Good advice Jamie! You know I just cannot drink anymore! I use to be able to handle a 1/2 bottle of wine or even almost the small bottle at a party or maybe 5 beers at a time but not now. Even if I am not taking any pain meds I get a real upset stomach pains and feel unwell (runs) after I drink. And here I am this morning 5 am - My knee hurts, my back hurts but I did not want to take any pain meds before bed as I had 3 beers. You know the drinking is not worth it... Going on the cruise in just 7 days - bought the extra drink package for $1,500.... guess that was a waste. But more important to get healthy. I truly believe the Tremadol that felt like it was eating a hole in my stomach did something back 7 weeks ago or so when I took them and now my system cannot handle the alcohol.
And my back! Ouch! Went to the hairdresser for 1st time 2 days ago - When the chair bent back a bit to wash my hair I thought I was going to die! Cannot think to do anything about my back other than a heating pad and going to a chiropractor next week. So I guess I have my good days and my bad days - But no more major knee pain so I will have more good days coming soon! Glad I rented the wheelchair for the cruise as I am totally not healed yet even tho my mind at times thinks I am cured. LOL Going to exercise on the bike at the gym on the boat as this will help keep me moving. My ROM is 115 but my leg will not straighten flat yet as I am about 2 inches off of a flat surface. Almost 12 weeks I am determined to get to 128 ROM and a flat leg one of these days but now I know it just takes time. hugs everyone
 
I am also having back pain. My back often hurts mote than my knee! I tried a deep tissue massage last week and it made a big difference. Celle said it doesn't work for eveyone, but it might be worth a try. I will be getting a massage weekly, at least fo a while.
 
Thanks Bill! Good idea! Went to the Surgeon today!!!!! Bonesmart you are right!!!!! He said exactly what you say - go steady and slow! And NO I do NOT need to exercise 3 hours a day. He was happy with my 115 at 12 weeks! My leg not being straight is a problem so he is going to try to get me a brace before I go away next week. The swelling - He prescribed Molrinx (cannot read his writing) - taking for 6 weeks. A leg brace!!! Wow! Sounds expensive but it is what it is! Will keep you posted! Went 20 minutes on the bike today! I thought Wow! My knee thought Ouch! Too much.... I am in pain tonight hugs Marilynne
 
My leg not being straight is a problem so he is going to try to get me a brace before I go away next week.
It often takes longer to achieve full extension (straight leg) than flexion. There's no need to rush, because ROM can continue to improve for at least a year after a TKR. Getting your leg straight involves gradually stretching the muscles and tendons at the back of your leg - and you can't rush that.
I really don't think a brace is necessary.
Have a look at this article and choose one or two of the exercises here.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Just do the exercise gently, for a short while each day. My favourite one was this: I used to do it while I was watching TV.
 
Going to exercise on the bike at the gym on the boat as this will help keep me moving.
No, no, no.....no time in the gym when you're on your cruise. You will be getting more than enough activity with the vacation. You don't need more. In fact, you need to plan some down time when you can ice and rest your knee. Otherwise, you're going to have pain.

If you are having to pay for that brace out of pocket, you might think twice about it. It's not going to enable you to magically walk more normally or to do more. You are still healing and you are pushing yourself. That's really all that's going on here. Otherwise you are having a very normal recovery.

Good luck in the coming weeks as you plan for your big trip.
 
I was having same problems but didn't do near the exercises you are doing because they hurt. I was told to do them, I tried and went to PT, but after about four visits which I left the sessions crying, I got support from these wonderfully wise women and quit PT.
I was scared, but I was in pain even more. I'm still having pain issues, but I fell one week prior to surgery on my bad knee and think that has hindered healing. I had my surgery 16 Feb 2017, so I am about at 12 weeks or 3 months. But, I use my ice machine every day, hours at a time and use frozen water bottles. Don't have to keep filling them up, just exchange 2 from cooler for 2 from freezer couple times or more a day of 24hrs. Elevation is also key, toes above nose, makes me giggle to say it out loud.
You have more ROM than I have now I think, but everyone heals differently, so there's really no comparison.
The one phrase I really like is the ROM is there, you just have to let the body heal first and the ROM will come when it's ready to. To me, That is very comforting.
Someone else said that we have to get rid of the over achiever frame of mind, this isn't something you can set goals for. Kick back, let people wait on you, pretend you are on a very long cruise on a very small ship and you are the only person allowed in the one deck lounge chair that is there. Keep everything within reach to do, like remote controls of which you now control, snacks, drinks, laptop, phone, and a whistle to summon the deck hands to fetch and replenish your supplies. My only problem was that my hubby wouldn't go potty for me. I had to do that one thing myself. What a pain in many more ways than one.
Read and reread the articles, the threads and you will always read something you needed to read for that moment in time. Then, watch Pollyanna 5 times a day, with other mellow musicals and Disney movies, you will relax and sleep no problem:) And when you feel like having a meltdown, go for it and get it out of the way, crying helps, something to do with chemicals and stress release....
Stick with this forum, inhale the love and support here and you too will start reciting the mantras. My first favorite was, don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lay down, and take all the naps you can at any time of the day. It's not laziness, it's recovery.
S
 
Wow! Great messages! HUGE THANK YOU!!!! Crip our TKR surgeries were just 1 day apart! Mine was Feb. 15th, 2017! And yes no knee is the same! I am going to take my gym clothes out of my suitcase. You are right... I will get a full workout just by being there! My surgeon is sending a fellow to my home tomorrow to fit me for a Dynaflex. If it has a $1,000 rental price tag or something crazy like that I think I could work on the stool, the ice and the stretching exercises much better than spending that kind of money! But we will see. He would not give me a price on the phone and will be here at 10 am in the morning. I use to be a pretty good sales person so I will be careful.
My new prescription from the surgeon is Meloxicam 15mg - Antiinflamatory - to help with my swelling - kind of like a fancy Advil. Says take with Food so another killer for my tummy.... But taking nothing else except my blood pressure pills so I will be okay. Keep smiling everyone! hugs Marilynne
 
You'll get plenty of exercise just walking around the ship, @Rainbow27. I don't know where your cabin will be, but with the restaurants at one end of the ship and the theatre at the other, you could be walking miles.
 
Marilynne.....is the doctor prescribing this NSAID aware that you have stomach problems? Having that history makes you a very bad candidate for any NSAID medication. Please give the office a call and discuss this with them. You don't want to risk serious bleeding problems!
 
If you do use the meloxicam, educate yourself on the side effects (as we all should for all our medications). Since you will be on vacation aboard a liner, you may not have easy access to ask your Dr. if you should develop any. I had to stop taking it because of a side effect, not gastric, but urinary for me.:fingersx:

For your next sea voyage, after your knee has had a little more healing, look at the Aranui. 2 weeks from Tahiti up to the Marquesas. Many of the islands have no pier so you amble down the side of the ship and hop into the tender. French chef meals with wine. Pastry chef desserts.
 
You are probably already aware, but you can also get very seasick on those ships. I did. If you're taking meds, they might make the seasickness worse. You can buy meds for that ahead of time. If you wait to get them on the ship, you're going to pay a lot more.
 
The new prescription Meloxicam can be tough on your stomach so I have a presciption Ranitidine 150mg to stop my stomach problems it may cause. Took 1 pill and so far I only have 1 side effect from the Meloxicam - It made me dizzy! Was helping hubby take the boat out of the water and had to stop for a moment.
The seasickness warning is a good one but I am lucky as I am an old sailor and have an iron stomach but good advice as it can be a real problem for some people.
I have a wheelchair rented for the entire cruise. I am praying I will not need it but I will have my husband push me around if it is the only way I can make it. I do not want to miss out so if I need it I will use it.
Tahiti! Wow that would be a dream! I have always said I have to go to Bora Bora before I die but have no idea where I would get the money to go. But if there is a will there is a way my Mom use to say!
I will have to watch out for the dizzyness from the Meloxicam and watch my blood pressure over the next few days. I think my swelling has gone done already but not sure. But what is weird it says - -may cause water retention and swelling.... weird as this is what I thought it was suppose to fix.
My next dilema! The Dynaflex guy will be here at 10 am in the morning and everything I read they warn it is a scam.... But my surgeon ordered him to come so find it confusing as he is a very well known famous surgeon for over 30 years... Will let you know how it goes hugs Marilynne
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom