TKR Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!

ANOTHER GREAT UPDATE! 7 MONTHS AND GUESS WHAT!!! I tried the ladder on our power boat which is not the easiest thing to conquer even with good knees and I did it! I was able to climb down the 5 step metal ladder at the back of the 19 foot power boat and enter the water and even better I was able to get back onto the boat the same way. There I was at the top of the ladder - placed both knees on the end of the boat and raised myself with my good knee and up I went and onto the boat. WOW!!! I have not been able to do this in over 5 years with my arthritis and pain in my knees. I had an amazing swim in the lake and screamed with joy!!! I guess I can do just about anything now! Soooo happy! Big hugs to everyone that helped me get thru my first months of pain. Still not taking any pills and have no pain. Cheers everyone! There is light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Rainbow27,
Great update, swimming in the lake sounds wonderful. Thanks for coming back an posting such good news.
 
Almost a year now! I have been set back in my progress a little because I have bad arthritis in my left foot since early Dec. 2017, So I am walking without a cane but I limp now because of my foot. My knee is good but I do not have full range in either knee. My right knee had a scope done 5 years ago and my left knee the Total left knee replacement with Titanium. I have about the same range in both- approx. 92 ROM I can kneel but I cannot keep my body up while on my knees as I fall over because I am not leaning back enough. But I am walking and have no pain in my knees. Going to the gym and doing weights trying to get my knee to move. Is there any hope I will get more ROM now?? Hope everyone is doing fine big hugs Marilynne
 
Take it easy with the gym and weights! You'll forget about ROM then one day you'll look down and realise that it's quietly increased ++!
 
I agree with Spex10, just forget about your knee and live your life. Your knee will continue to improve. Look at this example:
One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.
 
This site was my angel during my recovery from my TKR of my left knee. That was 1.5 years ago and I thought I was doing pretty good. My Range of Motion is only about 94 but I had no pain and could get off the ground and walk so I was pretty happy. TODAY I got a big scare - I was about to show my daughter how fast I had been walking when I was on vacation and my knee just gave out from under me for no reason! WOW.... How could this happen? I did not slip - My knee just gave out with no warning. I experienced this with my other knee and had a scope to correct it, which it did but this knee was totally replaced. This has totally scared me today as just finished 16 days of walking all over Europe and my knee that had the TKR has been sore and swelling a bit from the overuse - But when it gave out today it scared me to death! Any help as always is so appreciated. Big hugs Marilynne
 
@Rainbow27 ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Sorry to hear your knee collapsed. I cannot help but think it may be related to all the walking you have been doing, and the soreness and swelling you mentioned.

Even though it is over a year since your TKR, sounds like it needs a little TLC, Rest, Elevation, and Ice.

If it keeps happening, give your OS a call.
 
Thank you for your help. I could not figure out how to find my old link so thank you for fixing this. Yes I will rest my knee and put ice on it. It is very scary to think I might of hurt it. I just cannot believe it just gave out on me and not sure how it could do that with all of that metal holding it together. Will pray it will be fine hugs mar
 
I’m 15 months out from a partial and I still have to be very careful what I do or my knee gets upset. It’s such a drama queen! I hope yours is just upset from your trip activities.
 
I think this is a useful cautionary tale for us all, regardless of how long ago we had surgery. We should always remember that we have replacement parts.

If this had happened in the middle of nowhere it could have been a different story
 
There’s metal, but there is also muscle and ligaments still in your knee. It’s very possible you just pushed your knee too far.
 
@suzydza how about starting your own recovery thread. That way you will have all your information and discussions in one place that you can easily find. Here's how: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/starting-a-new-thread-and-posting.14736/ Let me know if you need help doing this. As soon as you open your thread I'll help you the best I can.
Also, we don't want to hijack Rainbow27's thread. This is where all discussions pertaining to her recovery goes.
 
I just cannot believe it just gave out on me and not sure how it could do that with all of that metal holding it together.
I think, also, that you need to give your knee extra rest. The hardware is fine, it's your muscles and tendons that have been overworked and need some tlc. Mine is over two years old, but I still have to be aware of over using it. It will become extra tired and feel wobbly. I think yours will be fine.
 
@suzydza, don't worry about it, we will start one for you and tag you and let you know where it is! A tag has a @ in front of your site name like I did to you. So look out for it! It will probably take a few minutes to set it up.
 
Rainbow, the main reason that a knee "gives out" is that the quad, the muscle in the front of your knee is weak. Yours was letting you know that you have done quite enough lately. I would rest, elevate and ice (where have you heard that before!! for a full day or two and then see how you feel. If okay, then be gentle with the knee for a few days. You might want to consider doing something to help the quads get a little stronger---like an exercise bike. i put mine in front of the tv!!!

I try to ride 30 min per day---I think of my legs as powering my tv!! I can't figure out how to actually do that, so am content that I do not turn the tv on unless I am sitting on the bike!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom