TKR Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!

You guys are right! And yes I was wrong to think that it was her choice to do nothing for 4 months. My sister has MS so I know what that can do to you. There could be many problems for her and you are right - Do not compare! And alas my no pain did not even last the entire day - I went Grocery shopping - Oh my!!!! You are right I cannot stand for long. I was in there for about an hour and thought I was going to scream from the pain by the time I reached the car. So yep - Took a Tramacet and icing waiting for the pain to calm down. So glad I have you guys to keep me on the right path. Big hugs back at you
 
I'm glad you realise not to compare. Thank you for admitting you made a mistake - don't worry, we all do that from time to time.

I have a friend with MS who's almost completely helpless. Yet his brain is still active and he loves going out to different places. Just a change of scenery and a bit of socialising is therapeutic for him.
 
It's awfully early for you to be shopping for an hour. You need to just run in and run out, picking up a few items at a time. Be sure and rest tonight and tomorrow as much as you can. I bet you'll need to recuperate.
 
Better yet, find a grocery store that has pick up! The Walmart near me and other groceries have begun a pick up service. You order and pay on line, drive up and the groceries are delivered. It's also a great time saver for working people. I don't use it now as walking a huge store is good exercise for me.

My OS ordered no PT for a month (infection and terribly damaged soft tissue). He also said my soft tissue didn't like aggressive therapy. After a month I was allowed to bend and move he ordered non-aggressive PT. When I asked what that meant he put his foot behind mine and pushed it forward an inch or two. That's all I did along with walking around the house for a few weeks. My knee was a little stiff at first, but there was really no pain in bending because my leg had NO swelling due to no bending for a whole month. I am someone who gained ROM well after the first year of my TKR. My leg is perfectly straight (better than my natural left leg) and all I did was let it straddle from my chair to the ottoman. The PTs never did anything for extention.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Maybe I am expecting too much ; ( 6 weeks and I thought because the doctors are trying to cut me off of pain medication I figured I would be pain free by now but I am NOT! I sat by the outdoor fireplace today & enjoyed the sunshine outside but alas after 3 hours I could not stand the pain and had to go inside and ice my leg. I know we should not compare but when can I expect to be normal - no pain pills and able to stand for over an hour and go for long walks? Feeling sad it is not here yet. There is a man at physio that I know who was probably lying but he said he was going downhill skiing after just 6 weeks after his surgery. Myself I will never go downhill skiing again! - I just want to take it easy walk and stand with no pain. hugs Marilynne
 
What did your OS tell you about recovery? Mine told be pre surgery that I should not consider returning to work until 12 weeks post op and that it would take a whole year to feel 100%. I went back to teaching first grade part time at 12 weeks because my knee/leg was still swelling. Standing for long periods of time won't come for a while, but every knee is different. At 6 weeks you are still very early.

Did you elevate while sitting at the fireplace? That is the key, no matter what you do, keep the leg elevated or propped beside you to keep swelling minimal. I found I could do one little thing (eat at a restaurant or visit a friend just to get out of the house) a day at 2 months post op, but the knee is still the boss and had to be up. Absolutely no big shopping trips until 3 at least.
 
Hi again, Marilynne,

Knee replacement is one of the most trying operations to recover from, because it takes so long and makes such huge demands on your patience. Someone here once joked that if you could get patience from an ATM, the queue would go right around the block.

It's rather too optimistic to expect to be almost back to normal by about 6 weeks, because complete recovery takes a full year. You'll be feeling almost normal long before that year is up, although even then your knee may give you an occasional reminder that it's still a child.
Your head is saying "I ought to be able to do this . . . " but your knee is saying "Not yet. I'm not ready for that yet."
This article may help you to understand your frustration at this point.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Your pain will decrease gradually, but it doesn't just stop. Many people wean down to weaker pain medications at around 6 weeks, but it's also normal if you need stronger medication up to about 3 months. I was off the heavy-duty narcotics by 6 weeks, but I was still needing the Tramadol and Tylenol combination for at least another month before I weaned down to just Tylenol.

I think it was about 3 months before I felt that I was getting back to almost-normal, but even then my leg would swell if I did too much for it. I know that I used to elevate and ice my knee in the evenings for several months after I became more active.

It may be true that the man you saw did ski at only 6 weeks post-op. Occasionally, we read of someone who has an extra-fast recovery, but a much slower recovery is the norm. It's more likely that his memory has compressed his recovery time span.
I know that @skigirl went back to skiing after her knee replacements and she was even working as a ski instructor until quite recently, but I'm sure she didn't start until further out than 6 weeks.
 
Wow everyone is so helpful! I read the list and yep that about describes where I am at for activity. And yes I did place my leg up on a stool with a pillow while I sat by the fireplace. My surgeon gives out a book to all his patients and it describes that you would be able to go back to work at 6 weeks and sometimes with restrictions depending on what you do. You know I guess my problem is I had no idea what I was getting into. It was just a few weeks before surgery that I realized it was definitely not a day surgery. It happened so fast as last November my knee just quit - went bone on bone and I was on crutches. Got back to walking but was in same pain as I am now right until surgery. Thank you so much for information! I totally am expecting too much! I really thought I was a looser as I felt I should be on the stationary bike by now and be doing normal stuff. I did get my license back to drive but not sure if I can as I have a little sports car, low to the ground and a stick shift. I will try and stay optimistic as I have been really crippled for over 4 years now with my knees so a year to have a brand new one is pretty good! I am going on an Alaskan cruise on May 17th involves a flight to Vancouver which is about 6 hours. Doctor said it would be okay but I better find a suitable seat to sit in. hugs & thanks Marilynne
 
So you know now that your surgeon wasn't quite right. My dad had two TKRs and my bff had one. None of us felt healed or ready for normal activity at 6 weeks post op. We were all different, but it took at least 3 months or longer to feel up to normal activities such as shopping or working.

Here's a link tha may help you while traveling. I highly recommend letting the airport know you'll need transport because you'll want to enjoy your vacation, not spend it getting the swelling down.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/flying-soon-after-surgery.13054/
 
I am going on an Alaskan cruise on May 17th involves a flight to Vancouver which is about 6 hours. Doctor said it would be okay but I better find a suitable seat to sit in. hugs & thanks Marilynne
I've done several cruises and I think you will find that they entail a lot of walking around the ship. Allow yourself plenty of time to get from A to B. Some people hire a scooter to use on the ship. If you did that, you would need a handicap accessible room, as you are not allowed to park scooters in the hallways and they are usually too wide to fit through the ordinary cabin doorways. Plan to allow yourself some time to rest each day. Your knee will thank you for that.

As for the flight, arrive early at the airport, as security could take a little longer because of your knee.
This article will help with other suggestions about the flight:
Flying soon after surgery
And this thread talks about airport security screening:
Have you set off the alarms at airports?

I did a cruise from Anchorage (AK) to Vancouver several years ago. It was great. Enjoy!
 
As Celle said, security can take a while. I just got back from Disney World and had to be patted down at both airports. I also used a scooter for my left natural knee and was happy to keep up with everyone without being in pain.
 
7 weeks today! I think my biggest pain is because my leg is not straight yet. This caused pain in my ankle and my knee when I walk. I try to sleep on my back & keep my leg straight on the bed but I eventually quit and lay on my side. Had to take Tramacet 1 pill 4 times today as my leg was aching from the swelling. My PT massaged my knee and showed me how to move my knee cap & massage my knee myself. He also suggested I start wearing the surgical socks again in the daytime because of the swelling. Very disappointed I only have 110 ROM and cannot do the stationary bike yet. I feel once I am on the bike I will free up the stiffness and get this knee moving with no pain. This is my hope! Hired a new PT for Friday which I have to pay for so I get a second opinion. The hospital PT is good but they do not spend a lot of one on one with you. Just want to ensure I am doing everything to get myself back to normal and out of pain. Only doing exercises once per day but everyone at physio that seem to be doing well are preaching they do it 3 times a day 30 minutes each. It has been a long hard 7 weeks. hugs Marilynne
 
I had a ROM of 109 when I was released from PT and could get a full rotation on the bike, so 110 is just fine for 7 weeks post op. Have you tried moving the seat back or lifting your hip a bit as you're pedaling? I'm not sure why the PT is massaging your kneecap, that could be causing your swelling/pain. I'd let it go for a while and see what happens, it really isn't necessary at all.
 
Very disappointed I only have 110 ROM and cannot do the stationary bike yet. I feel once I am on the bike I will free up the stiffness and get this knee moving with no pain. This is my hope!
I still think you're expecting far too much, too soon! What's the rush? ROM can continue to improve for a year or more after a TKR.

A ROM of 110 at 7 weeks is excellent. It will continue to improve, whether or not you do the exercises. That's because it's not the exercises that get you the ROM. It's time, and the reduction of swelling.
If you want to increase your ROM, spend less time exercising and more time resting, icing and elevating.
Only doing exercises once per day but everyone at physio that seem to be doing well are preaching they do it 3 times a day 30 minutes each. It has been a long hard 7 weeks.
Once a day is more than enough for the exercises, with no exercises at all on Saturday and Sunday. Lots of us on here achieved excellent ROM without doing any formal exercises at all. Everyday life was our exercise.
 
A ROM of 110 at seven weeks a great! You should be thankful. You're running above average. I don't know why you're hiring another PT when you are doing so well already. Besides, as we has said, PT isn't going to get your ROM and extension back, just using your knee in your daily life as it is intended to be used will get it back. That and lots of rest, elevation, and icing to get that swelling down. Just don't knock yourself, you're doing fantastic!
 
Thank you for your messages. One of my best friends is a nurse and she told me to look up Fuzzy Fascia. I did and there is a good video where a doctor explains about not moving or stretching and why we loose our range of motion if we are not exercising. I believe you totally have excellent knowledge of TKR but for me in my heart I feel I have to get back to doing my physio 3 x a day or I will not be walking or doing the things I want to do this summer. I have a friend who he had 120 or more ROM a few months after surgery and then he quit exercising and now he cannot bend his knee again. One thing for sure the elevation & the icing is helping! I guess I want it over like yesterday. So tired of being helpless, my house is a mess, I cannot fill my bird feeders or go out to the theatre.... Thought I would be done with these pain pills at 7 weeks but I still need them 1 Tramacet every 6 hours or so. Just want my normal life back ; ( And yes I am feeling sorry for myself today. hugs Marilynne
 
Hi, Marilynne. I'm just about two years out from my first TKR, and I'm JUST now feeling almost completely normal. That said, I've been active and able to do pretty much anything since three months out from surgery, but my bugaboos were rising from a low seat and going up and down stairs normally. I began returning to normal activities in the second week -- my husband complained more loudly about scooping cat litter boxes for our nine indoor cats than it hurt me to do it myself (slowly, sitting in a chair, and maybe one at a time taking a break in between). I had him bring his laundry downstairs, then I loaded and started the washer and worked through that whole laundry process as I rested between steps. For me, the daily living activities, carefully doled out, always slowly and listening to my knee's response to each activity before.

When I went shopping the first few times, I used an electric cart in the store until around three months after surgery. By that time, I was feeling more comfortable walking distances. You may need one for less or more time than that. It definitely sounds like you would benefit from a store scooter for now.

I'm afraid I can't help much with pain medications. I'm one of those people who was comfortable leaving prescription pain medication behind at two weeks for the left knee and three weeks for the right. (If I'm honest with myself, I should have stayed on it for three weeks for the left.) After that, I used Tylenol for the left. My right knee was more problematic at that point, but after both knees were replaced, I was able to use an essential oil blend to maintain balance in my body and reduce ouchiness to a manageable level.

It's a little early for theater visits, but you will be able to resume them soon. How many bird feeders do you have and what is limiting you from filling them at this point? Are they too far away? Do you have too many to handle at once? Are they too high to reach? Do you have someone who can help you do what you are not able to do yet and you could do part of the job, working your way over the next few weeks back to doing them all?

Hang in there. You are making progress. For me, doing little things in bite size pieces around the house (not the vacuum cleaner yet!) helped more than physio exercises three times a day to restore my sense of well-being and feeling of accomplishment. If you try this, the key, of course, is to break everything you do into the smallest unit you can think of, resting in between each step, until can do more without any uncomfortable consequences afterward. If you do overdo, back off a little until you find what works for you.
 
One of my best friends is a nurse and she told me to look up Fuzzy Fascia. I did and there is a good video where a doctor explains about not moving or stretching and why we loose our range of motion if we are not exercising.
If you watched the video, you should also read this.
https://www.painscience.com/articles/does-fascia-matter.php#sec_fuzz
That video you watched is psuedo-science, because "fuzzy fascia" only occurs post mortem - after you die.

And where on earth did you get the idea that what we are advising is sitting around and not moving at all? I have consistently told you that everyday life is exercise - walking, doing normal routine tasks. Walking is the best exercise of all for your new knee. You could also include filling your bird feeders in your daily tasks.

You are stiff and sore because you are over-exercising. Your soft tissues are upset, inflamed and swollen.

Of course, it's your choice whether or not you take our advice, but we have seen many, many people improve after taking it.
 
It's your knee. If you want to exercise it, then do it. If it starts to get really painful, then stop. All we can do is to tell you our experiences and experiences of others. If it's not right for you, then do what you feel you must do. I never sat and did nothing. I have 5 bird feeders that I was filling at 3 weeks out and 2 hummingbird feeders that I made the sugar water and filled. That was my PT, along with taking care of the cats. And as the ladies said, do a little bit at a time, then follow our resting guidelines. This is a year+ recovery, not a few weeks.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom