Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!

I have never experienced such pain in my lifetime. I have never taken pain pills before like this. I am in tears not knowing how to control this pain.
Honey, you've just had one of the most brutal bits of surgery on the books and if nobody told you this beforehand, then shame on them! Pain management in this situation requires the consumption of significant amounts of pain meds so don't let yourself get freaked out about that!

What you are taking is totally inadequate for your situation. Tylenol is inadequate. If you have oxycodone then you should be taking it as prescribed which I would imagine is 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. Don't be scared of it, you won't be on it forever but right now you DO need it so you have to take it. And read this article again Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart and refresh yourself that uncontrolled pain only gets worse and worse. So TAKE YOUR PILLS!!
 
Josephine you are an angel and so supportive! And you are right! The idiots that told me that after their TKR took only a few tylenols or nothing at all I think were lying because they could. I cried all morning and do not feel so alone now. I am taking my pills, my pain now is finally under control once again, I am using my ice machine and have myself put back together at the moment. Huge thank you as I was a mess last night and this morning - I was so scared. Never felt so in pain or so alone. This site is such a blessing to me right now. Reading the other articles you recommended too. I cannot thank you enough!!! Your friend forever in Canada!
 
If it's at all possible under your medical system, call your surgeon tomorrow morning and tell him (or his nurse) about the pain levels. Ask for a renewal of your pain meds now instead of waiting until Monday at your appointment. The most important thing for you right now is proper pain management. And if that prescription pain med works now that you're back on it, then you need to insist on more. You're not a sissy! This surgery causes significant pain in just about everyone who has it.
 
I hope you continue to feel better. You've had a rough go of it.
 
Good idea on calling the surgeon about getting a prescription before my appointment! I slept like a baby last night!!!! I am back feeling sooooo much better.

I took 1 oxycocet 5 mg at 12 noon - Pain level 6 - 1 oxycocet 5:30 pm - Pain level 4 - 1 Ocycocet 9:30 pm (bedtime) Pain level 4 - 1 Ocycocet 5am Pain level 4 - Went right back to sleep!

It is 8 am now and my pain level is 2 so will wait about noon until I take another Ocycocet. Plan is to take 1 Oxycocet every 6 hours approx. I have my life back!!!!!

Read all the articles and also Josephine's journey dealing with her pain during her TKR surgery. Feeling not alone any more! No tears today!
 
Attached a photo of my new left knee taken at week 3. It will be week 5 tomorrow!

Back taking Oxycocet 5 mg every 6 hours which is totally needed for me to deal with pain and have a normal life right now. Tylenol did not work for me at all.

Walking without a cane in the house. Still doing stairs one at a time but without pain. 110 degree ROM but my leg straightening is a 2 which is not so good. First hour in morning my leg does not want to straighten so cannot place my foot flat on the ground to walk.

I sleep on my side so suspect this is the cause as my leg is bent all night long. Using ice machine on my knee a minimum of 4 hours a day. My ankle still swells up and hurts just as much as the knee.

Overall feeling good! Being on Oxycocet I will not be able to get my driver's license back here in Ontario, Canada as while on these drugs they take away your drivers license. But I will manage as it is not long term. Thank you everyone! On the road to recovery once again!

[Bonesmart.org] Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!
 
What a beautiful photo of your new baby!
 
Update on pain medication. 2 days left of the prescription I have for Oxycocet 5 mg - Still taking 1 x 6 hours. (Tylenol did not touch pain- Tramodol eats my stomach) Surgeon is away - Physician's office who is the normal one to renew this prescription said "no refills on a narcotic drug! - Keep doing physio!) So going to his office to beg I guess tomorrow. This medication gives me no side effects - I am clear headed - not dizzy - reduces pain to a level 1 from a 7. Was able to cut back from 2 pills to 1 very easily over a week ago. I am 67 and have never taken a narcotic drug before ever - So I would think I am a very low risk to abuse such a thing. week 5 after surgery Wish me luck tomorrow!
 
Could you ask your GP for a prescription if your OS's office won't do it? I have seen that suggestion on here many times.
 
Keep up therapy but no pain meds...:what: I think you may be forced to cut back and use ice as a pain reliever. If you're going to ask for something you can try asking for Tramadol. Lots of people have found this works with Tylenol as a step down med.
 
Tramadol was a good step down for me. Just be sure to eat crackers or take something to coat your tummy before taking it. That should help keep your stomach stress away. I found that a generic anti-motion pill helped me a lot while taking it. They make me sleepy, but your knee needs sleep anyway!
 
Are you using a walker? My OS said while using a walker to make sure to stand straight. Patients tend to bend forward causing back pain.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good News and Bad News! 5 weeks after surgery now. Good news is that I can last 8 hours before taking another Oxycodene 5 mg - pain seems to be letting up a bit. Bad news - no refill on my oxycodene meds available - Starting on Tramacet tomorrow. I take no other medication except 1 Aspirin a day for blood thinner, prescribed iron pill from surgeon and a high blood pressure pill. The Tramacet I have taken before and does not eat my stomach like the Tramadol did. Somehow I get a side effect from Tramadol that causes bad stomach cramps. Range of Motion - disappointed as I still cannot do a cycle on my recumbent stationary bike and lifting my leg backwards off the ground is about 3 inches. I can sleep on my side for about 6 hours before the pain wakes me up- which is good! ROM is 100 degrees - not so good. But I can walk! Walking without a cane and standing tall! I use a cane when I am out just for safety. And I am doing some cooking and housework! Thank you for all your messages! Love this group! hugs Marilynne
 
Confession on my prescription - I should add my doctors office said NO more refills on Oxycodene or any pain medications and just continue with your physio. Canada is pretty strict on meds I think. Well we all know how that would work! I would be back crying all day like I was a week ago. I had the pharmacist fill a prescription that was prescribed weeks ago. My doctor weeks ago prescribed the Tremacet just before I met with him and he gave me the oxycodene prescription which I started taking weeks ago. I am using this old prescription of Tremacet that I never had filled weeks ago. Probably being bad but also being smart. I do not abuse drugs! I am 67 and have never taken a pain pill before in my lifetime before my knee so abuse is not going to happen. But yes I need something to get me thru the next probably 2 to 4 weeks of pain in my knee. Thanks to all of you and especially Josephine I do not feel guilty taking pain meds. It is just something you need to get thru this major surgery. In a couple of weeks or a month I can discontinue taking any pain meds but for now I am not going to cry and wish I was not here from a pain that there is not need to endure it 24 hours a day when there is a safe prescription I can take. big hugs
 
A ROM of 100 at 5 weeks isn't bad at all. I found that the extension was much harder for me to finally get to come in. I've never heard of Tremacet. Do you know if it's even here? Thank God Tramadol worked well for me after the first month or so. It was smart of your to hold back your prescription so you have it now! Smart move!
 
Gee that's a bit rough with your pain meds. I am still taking tapentadol slow release (reducing every 2 weeks), oxycodone to go to bed and gabapentin for nerve pain. As well as paracetamol. And I'm a month advanced on you. Don't feel guilty, if you have pain it needs to be addressed so you can focus on your recovery.
 
It's a good idea to fill that prescription. Ice and elevation are now your best friends to help with pain and swelling. Most OS are only looking for a flexion of 90 at 6 weeks so you are ahead of the game. I'm not sure what the active ingredients of tramacet are but it would help to take a total of 4,000mg of Tylenol a day along with that medication. From the name I think that it does contain Tylenol so you would have to subtract that from the 4,000 total. Keeping a steady level in your blood stream will help keep your pain at reasonable levels.
 
Good morning. I hope this is helpful. I found it on the web. Tramacet is an international brand name for the combination of acetaminophen and tramadol, an opioid analgesic. It used for short term management of acute pain.
 
Wow you are all so wonderful! It was my physician that so NO more pain medication. I see the surgeon on Monday for a check on my knee but he normally will NOT prescribe any medications after hospital exit. And the surgeon told me he wanted to see 90 degrees before I left the hospital after only 5 days! I woke up feeling helpless today at 5 weeks and only 100 ROM, but I have hope now because of all of you and also Guess what!!!! Read my notes and I can discontinue wearing these stupid painful surgical compression stockings that I hate! 5 weeks it said and toss them! So I am going to burn them! LOL And yes they may have saved my life from a bloodclot but I am so done with them. Going to drug store now to pick up my Tremecet
Each tablet contains 37,5 mg tramadol hydrochloride and 325 mg paracetamo Hoping to take them short term as praying this pain goes away in a week or so. Also cross your fingers I get my drivers license back - Have to have the surgeon sign a form on Monday to get it back. (they take it away after surgery in Canada for TKR) Wow 5 weeks and it feels like over a year of pain! But I will survive and live to dance once again!!!! Soon!!!!! I try my recumbent bike every day but cannot make the cycle yet - some people at physio are doing the bike at 5 weeks so will keep trying.... need 110 rom minimum to do this.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom