TKR Hoping you can help - My knee gave out under me!

Remember that each knee is different and just because someone can do something, doesn't mean you should be able to. Your surgery might have been more intensive needing more healing. Even each surgeon is different. I think you're doing great. Just be prepared to start very slowly when adding activities to your day. Your knee will rebel if you do too much too soon. We all have been there and know that the pain will come if we do too much too soon!
 
Thank you! Just went thrrough 30 minutes of pain level 8 waiting for one of my last oxycodone pills to take effect. Had been over 10 hours since taking my last one. And yes so agree with you! My pain is real & seems to come from mostly around where my knee is swollen & has no feeling on the left side of my knee cap.

Have my Tramacet from the pharmacy now and no police at my door! Will advise my physician that I filled the prescription now that I have them. So stupid for his office to treat me like this by saying no more pain medication! I threw out Tramacet I never used after my scopes from 5 years ago as I did not need them. Well I honestly 100% need them now!

The surgeon said at my hospital bed after surgery that my TKR was a wise decision as my knee was in bad shape so thank you for your comments everyone! Every knee is different!

Wow I am never ever doing this again! It is like prison camp 101! Will ask the surgeon when I see him Monday if I can go to the gym and do upper body. Thinking this would be healthy and take my mind off my knee pain. Thanks again everyone for caring!
 
Will ask the surgeon when I see him Monday if I can go to the gym and do upper body. Thinking this would be healthy and take my mind off my knee pain.
Rainbow, please not yet. Remember the Energy Drain. You'll just end up making your pain worse because your fatigue will be worse. You are only 5 weeks out so need to leave that for at least another 5 weeks.
 
As you can see by my signature, I've had 10 scopes and 4 lateral releases. The lateral releases took a while to heal, but the scopes were nothing like a tkr! It like a shot vs open heart surgery! I'm almost 10 months and I still can't do a whole lot of strength training at one time. I have to rest days in between. At least now I can hike and ride my bike without all that arthritis pain. And I know this will continue to get better where the arthritis would have only gotten worse. You are in the dark days now, but improvement and less pain will come. You should be able to notice small improvements each week. It is such a slow process, but well worth it in the end! Just keep your eyes on the finish line. It's getting closer and closer each week! And remember, you have lots of people on this site praying for each other and prayer works!
 
Thank you! Just went thrrough 30 minutes of pain level 8 waiting for one of my last oxycodone pills to take effect. Had been over 10 hours since taking my last one.
That's why we advise people to take their pain medications on a fixed schedule. It takes much longer for a single dose to relieve your pain. You were playing catch-up with the pain and that is never fun. I understand you were rationing the oxycodone and that's why you did it.
Have my Tramacet from the pharmacy now and no police at my door! Will advise my physician that I filled the prescription now that I have them. So stupid for his office to treat me like this by saying no more pain medication!
Now you have the Tramacet, make sure you take it on a regular schedule, so that you keep up the level of pain medication in your bloodstream.
 
Thank you all for your help! You are right about the gym - too soon! Well my Tramacet cost me $100... ouch! It is not covered by my Ontario Health plan for seniors which normally makes prescription drugs free. Took 2 - two hours ago and my knee is still sore - Had taken 1 Oxycodone at 11 am. But many things are causing me pain today - Did not wear my compression stockings - my physio therapist said because I have so much swelling still I should continue to wear them to help with the swelling as swelling=pain. Did not burn them yet so will reluctantly wear them in the daytime.... ; ( Went to physio - big workout.... tried the bike - did backwards 2 cycles - first was a slight ouch - 2nd was a full scream - So totally NOT READY YET! You guys are right! I let up on my physio at home by 70% and I was able to do more today! I had 110 ROM! Well with a pull of the strap on my slider board. Plus I went to a restaurant for a treat with my hubby! Too soon.... hurt to sit in a regular chair with my leg down. Was going to go shopping at Macy's but had way too much pain! So to miss that you know it was real! Praying this Tamacet allows me to sleep for at least 6 hours. I am not fooling around I am taking 2 more before bed. Big hugs and thank you all for you help! I hurt at level 4 constant pain at the moment so little worried about Tramacet but will stay hopeful!
 
Since each trauma e.g. has 325mg in them you can take some additional acetaminophen with each dose. If you are taking two tramacet that means you are taking 325 x 2 = 650. You can add a regular strength acetaminophen (325 mg) with it. If only taking one tramacet take an extra strength acetaminophen (500 mg). The added acetaminophen will help your medication be more effective. The maximum amount of acetaminophen is 4,000 mg a day.
 
If you cut back on your activity there's a good chance your pain will follow suit. If I went out to eat I propped my leg up on a chair or beside me on the booth. Pulling your leg with a strap is not a good idea. Using aggressive force of any kind is going to cause pain and swelling.
 
Tough decision as I used the strap with the wooden slider board next day after surgery in the hospital. My surgeon ordered it purchased before surgery to be available for hospital use and home x 3 times a day x 30 reps each. I have reduced it to only 1 x 30 reps a day. Will take it slow. Today the bike killed me but I am better now. Off to bed. thank you for your help
 
If you are using a strap to pull your leg, are you using your muscles to do so? If not, I don't see what good it's doing except to aggravate your soft tissues. I'm so glad you're feeling better from your bike ride! Wait a few days before doing it again, and your knee will react better. A day or two of rest after a workout is really beneficial.
 
I agree with the others that you need to take your pain meds on a schedule. I was spreading out my doses more at 5 weeks, but on a schedule. My sense is that that would be a better way to "conserve" pain meds if you can't get refills rather than waiting until the pain is really bad to take the next one.

Also at 5 weeks your knee is still quite "young" in the recovery. It doesn't take much to make it angry. Enjoy the chance to relax. You were right not to do that Macy's trip yet.
 
The thing my PT told me about using a strap or towel or whatever is that you don't use it to pull the leg. You bend your leg to where you can but then use the strap to hold your leg and let your muscles relax. Just hold for a few seconds.
 
My PTs had me do something similar to kneeper, but I was laying on a PT table and they wanted me to slide back using my own leg power and I could hold it with my arms or not. But this was 3 months after surgery, not 6-7 weeks.
Cutting back on activity and aggressive PT will calm down your soft tissue and consequently you should be in less pain. Look back at Josephine's recommendation and try her suggestions for a week.
 
BEAUTIFUL AMAZING NEWS! I slept a total of 8 hours!!!! First time in almost 6 weeks! I feel human again! I did not even get up to have a pee! LOL No back ache, just a nice sleep! Wow! This morning took 1 Tramacet - Pain level was only 3 but will keep meds on a schedule. And YES I use my own leg muscles to slide the wooden slider board to bend my knee and then I pull the strap at the end and hold for 4 seconds to try and extend the range. Will only do my total set of exercises once per day for now. Rainy Spring day in Canada today! hugs
 
6 Weeks last Wednesday! GREAT NEWS TO REPORT! Today first day I need NO pain pills! Woke up pain free! It is like a miracle. Did housework on Thursday for 3 hours - was in extreme pain back of my knee when I arrived at physio on Friday - (even with 1 Tramacet) My TKR Left knee is still bent and not straight. I had extreme pain behind my knee with a deep pain and my ankle was swollen/in pain from walking with my knee bent. He iced my knee behind with it raised and then he did what to me is like a miracle! He massaged my knee on the left side of my LTKR. He pressed on a bone at the left side down from my knee cap - this hurt but after a few moments the pain went away. AND it is still gone! WOW!!!! Not sure what he fixed but it is wonderful! I also know now almost more important than my Range of Motion exercises is my exercises to straighten my leg. Once my leg is straight I will not get a swollen foot & swollen ankle that hurts after walking or standing. I am so happy! I think the worst is over! Not wearing my surgical socks now. Icing 2-3 times a day and doing my 20 minutes of physio minimum of once per day. Hoping to get on the bike by next week. Walking with no cane and no limp!!! I am back world!!!!! With smiles!!!!!!
 
Sorry have to give another update! I met a lady who had her TKR left knee 6 months ago. She is still using a walker and a wheel chair! She can go on a stationary bike but cannot walk which makes me puzzled. But she did NO exercices/physio for 4 months after surgery. I think this caused a lot of her problems. Also noticed she did not really participate in her physio except the stationary bike. Most of the hour she was there she drank coffee and talked on her cell phone. Have no idea why she cannot walk when she has the range to go on the bike. But it scared me into keeping up with my physio and my exercises at home as I do not want a permanent bent knee that I cannot walk with. Just a word of caution that I hope helps. I think is is the old rule for any of our parts "Use it or loose it"
 
You have read many times on here that each knee is different and we are not to compare our knees to others. You do not know this woman's history or the extent of her surgery. It could be that her implant wasn't done correctly in the first place. I really feel for her. It sounds like she needs to see a revision specialist as soon as possible. Not exercising would not cause this problem, as many of us on this site can attest to. Also, for many of us, extension takes longer to come in than the bending does. Try taking as long of strides as you can, as long as you can do it safely. This helped me more than anything. My extension, too lagged behind, but it's fine now! And that's without exercising! Everyone of us is different.
 
So true what @sistersinhim says that you really can't compare with others. We don't know others' history. This person could have had a less skilled surgeon, prior issues etc. This sounds like an odd case. But yeah, not even trying to do stuff is not a good idea, I wouldn't think.

Being sensible with activity progression; PT (or a few home exercises) and most important listening to the knee gets most of us in pretty good shape by 12 weeks. Back to work but not at 100% as the healing continues for many months.
 
I also know now almost more important than my Range of Motion exercises is my exercises to straighten my leg. Once my leg is straight I will not get a swollen foot & swollen ankle that hurts after walking or standing.
Rainbow, it's only about 6 weeks since you had this major surgery. Don't expect that achieving full extension will cure your problems with walking and standing. Only time will do that. It takes most of us a long time before we can stand for any length of time without pain.
ROM includes both flexion (bending) and extension (straightening).
It's normal for extension to take longer to achieve than flexion, so don't worry about it. Just work slowly and gently towards achieving extension. You can try one or two of these exercise, but don't use weights until about 6 months.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

I met a lady who had her TKR left knee 6 months ago. She is still using a walker and a wheel chair! She can go on a stationary bike but cannot walk which makes me puzzled. But she did NO exercices/physio for 4 months after surgery. I think this caused a lot of her problems. Also noticed she did not really participate in her physio except the stationary bike. Most of the hour she was there she drank coffee and talked on her cell phone. Have no idea why she cannot walk when she has the range to go on the bike. But it scared me into keeping up with my physio and my exercises at home as I do not want a permanent bent knee that I cannot walk with. Just a word of caution that I hope helps. I think is is the old rule for any of our parts "Use it or loose it"
No matter how often we advise people not to compare knees, someone always does.

You have seen this poor lady and assumed that her problems are caused because she didn't exercise for 4 months.
You have no idea what her condition was before she had her knee surgery, or why she did no exercises, and yet you assume that she has caused her own problem. That's pretty judgmental.

For all you know, she might have been bed-ridden before her surgery and has made remarkable progress. If her knee bends but she can't walk, it could be because her muscles grew so weak while she was bedridden, or she could have some other medical condition, such as multiple sclerosis.

She might have been instructed by her doctors not to do any exercises for 4 months. @KarriB had similar instructions - and now her knee bends and straightens perfectly.

Your knee will eventually both bend and straighten perfectly. There's no need to rush, because ROM can continue to increase for a year, or even longer, after surgery - whether or not you do exercises. I did no formal exercise after either of my knee replacements. Just ordinary life was my therapy. Both my knees straighten fully and bend to 125+ degrees. They're strong and reliable and I can do anything I want with them.
 
I totally agree with Celle. She's said everything I was going to say.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom