Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

A “Virgin-Hippie” flight to St Lucia on British Airways via Gatwick

1. Getting to the South Terminal

After a nice night at the Sofitel Hotel we put our luggage on the trolleys to make our way to the other terminal via the monorail. I love the monorail as it reminds me of the 1960s and the series “Thunderbirds”.

First problem for novice Hippies...., the area to the terminal from the hotel is carpeted. Pushing a trolley with approx 60kg of stuff on it is not fun! “Just as well I got plenty of practise at Waitrose” I think!

2. Check in and Security

Very smooth.

Suitcases taken in hold so just My Carry On to manage and the Leki. Hmmm lots of escalators and travellators to negotiate. I have to think in advance re getting on and off them but ok. “Hermione the Magic Hip” is complaining just a little but not as much as “Naughty knee” is after a cramped journey in the back of a taxi the night before.

I Get to Priority security. At that point someone tries to wave me to another channel where there are a lot of people with walking sticks and aids. I decide to ignore that and head for the Priority channel. I explain to the security chap who is putting the stuff on the conveyor belts that I am worried about my stuff being unattended as I go through the enhanced security - hubby having said, unhelpfully, that he had his own stuff to worry about. The Security Chap kindly offers to keep the trays with my bags aside and only put it through once I have been cleared.

As I approach the “Arch of Doom” I point to my left hip. I have my Leki in my right hand. The security lady nods and beckons me through.

“BLEEEEEEEP!” The alarm sounds. I am directed to the “shower” scanner. My Leki ,Hermione and I enter. The security lady asks if I can stand without the stick. Yes I can! She takes the Leki from me and the booth closes around me.

Hands above my head I pose for the money shot. No problems. At the other side I ask the security lady if she can see my Artificial hip and can I see the photo. Apparently not! She hands my Leki back and off I go! My long scar is safe from prying :-)

I go to the conveyor belt and wait. My stuff starts to come through. And my Carry On is pulled aside for closer inspection and is wanded. Another 10 minutes whilst they go through my stuff. Apparently a random check. My spare set of clothes for 2 days and swimming costumes must have been fascinating for them.

I estimate the total amount of time to clear Security to be about 15-20 minutes.

3. on our Way . We find our way to the First Class lounge via yet another escalator and a lift. Tip for Hippies. It is a really good idea to practise getting on and off an escalator before attempting an airport. Wish I had!
 
Sounds very familiar. Somehow, I have been "randomly selected" every single time (maybe 12-15 flights) since my original hip replacement 5 years ago. Sure doesn't feel very "random"!

I have to concentrate on escalators as well. Good idea to practice a few times in a quiet location. People would think you'd never seen one before but what the heck!! :rotfl:

When we lived in Pakistan the little indoor shopping mall got the city's first escalator. There was a line up longer than your average rock concert of people just riding up & down; up & down. All laughing and squealing. My 19 month old grandson likes to do that now :)
 
@Pumpkln
Thanks for the link I have read that thread. Full of interesting stories and links but it isn't search friendly or organised by airport. Things are very varied and it might be good for find some info just at a quick glance.
 
St Lucia to Gatwick
A much smaller airport. I put my stuff on the conveyor belt.. I indicate to the lady security that I have an artificial hip and go through the scanner. No bleep! I am waved through, pick up my stuff and carry on. Total time 5 minutes! There is no scatter scanner however so I would probably been taken aside and bodysearched if it had gone off or at least wanded!
 
They will usually use a wand if there is no scanner available. But beware ladies - if there is no female guard on duty you will have to wait until they find one. Always best to allow a bit of extra time.
 
On vacay myself. Passed through airport security for the first time since surgery yesterday. Nothing beeped, dinged or blinked. Female security ran her hands over my clavicle and outstretched arms. Arms outstretched at her request and I was on my merry way. I was most impressed by the sweet black labs they have sniffing each passenger as the handlers continually say "Keep moving, don't stop, don't pet the dog." He was so cute! :dogsniff:
Have a nice weekend, @SurreyGirl
 
Thanks! So funny that, less than a week back from holiday which I managed without a stick I am back to two Leki to navigate the work car park which was treacherous this morning.... also Hermione does not like the cold and has stiffened up a bit. Nor does she like sitting at a desk. After th3 last three weeks progress I don’t want to backtrack...
 
@SurreyGirl the cold is tough for everyone - especially a new hippie. Take it slow and steady. Walking anywhere where the footing is not stable is very difficult.

I am years out of surgery and my hips and spine do not like this excessive cold. Just keep moving - carefully.
 
Yes, be very careful on the ice @SurreyGirl
I haven't been out of the house because is so slippery. I am hoping hubby will take me to the nearest shops tomorrow, 9 miles away. It's at a lower level than we are so might not be any snow.
 
Thanks!
Hubby has finally bought some urea to put on our drive. I have been nagging about this for years! Less corrosive than rock salt but effective. Of course today is cold but less icy but will keep it by the door just in case.

I really need to summon up the energy to go swimming as it did me so much good on holiday. I hate cold chorine filled pools though!
 
I would love to go swimming, or at least walking in the water, but swimming pools are few and far between here. Well I guess that's my fault for moving somewhere a bit more remote
 
Our local council pool is freezing! Normally I quite like it but quite cold for a recovering hippie. My goggles leaked last time I swam so need to get new ones..
 
Oh, @SurreyGirl, sorry to read you've taken a backward step with the return to cold, icy weather. But also relieved to read the post from @Jaycey, that cold weather makes other hipsters ache and complain as well. You (we) are not alone! Snowy weather here in my neck of the woods and I feel stiff and sore this morning, too. Glad I don't have to venture out of the house and can stay inside and look at it (much as I hate snow, it is pretty on the lawns and shrubbery). Mystery novel is calling, and will turn on the gas fireplace and plunk myself down.
 
An update having seen the physio today.

The holiday did me a lot of good and it showed. We discussed the knee exercises and they are helping.

Movement on stairs pretty natural. Not surprised after the amount I did on holiday.

Hip area a bit swollen and we talked about driving nearly two hours a day and my desk job, neithrr of which help much. I must be more disciplined about getting up from my desk more.

He looked at my broken toe and suggested a few gentle things to do with it that would help but have to let nature take its course with it!

This physio took my remarks about stiffness and hobiecat sailing seriously. He sails himself. He had a good look at the hip. The problem seems to be in the rotation. Sideways and forwards no issues.
He thinks that swimming and some acqua aerobics will help. He is pretty confident I will get all my motion back in time and did not treat me like an “old lady”...

Used the yellow (weak) elastic bands to show me some exercises. 12 reps once a day very gently and alternative days for now and build up slowly. The exercise was easy and I think this time I will be ok. I am a long way forward from when I last tried them about 5 weeks out with bad results, but I will be very cautious.

As I will be sailing again in four months time I have a realistic goal to aim for. Just need to get off my backside more and stretch and keep up the walking.

I should mention that some of my friends who attended the birthday party in January are doing a dry February. I have joined them, with the caveat of “”dryish”... so far it is going well and I have dropped the weight I gained on holiday...

“Birthday Boy”, a bit worse for wear at the Party, decided to sit on my lap at one point and twerk to the music blasting through the speakers. I think it was the “Happy” song. ! I think he had totally forgotten about my THR! I told him loudly and forcefully to ........*************! He got the message and “Hermione” was safe. Imagine explaining that when attending the hospital for a dislocation....

All in all pretty happy just over 6 months out...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom