Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Nope, heating not getting sorted until at least Wednesday, At least it has warmed up from a few weeks ago.
 
Hi everyone. Some advice need. After nearly 2 weeks back at work I am getting quite a bit of stiffness around my scar area.. walking is ok apart from stutter steps at the start. I think Josephine said that paracetamol could still help here. I have difonac sodium but used to swallow these like Smarties pre-op and have been reading lots of bad stuff about them. Therefore I have not taken them as yet.

The cold weather definitely affects me and I am wearing thermals which help keep the muscles around my hip nice and warm. I do elevate when I get home.

Do other people 6 months out have stiffness and how do you deal with it! I am still driving to work and back - approx 1.5 - 1.75 hours in total - working f/t and do a lot of sitting but I do try to walk at lunchtimes and climb the four stories to my office each day - sometimes twice - plus gentle stretching.. Looking at returning to swimming and water walking this week.

Any advice gratefully received. Feeing a bit frustrated because I was so much better on holiday… Thanks!
 
Very normal to be stiff at 6 months out - even at a year out. Paracetamol does help. Your drive to work is probably aggravating this but you really can't change that. Cold weather doesn't help either.

Hang in there - you are still healing!
 
:sad: I am sure this is certainly frustrating after such a great month or two. I wonder if you would benefit from any heat ice at the mid day mark at work? Just a thought from a lady currently sitting on a heating pad :)
 
Will give it a try @Carriemay60 and thanks for the advice re paracetamol @Jaycey . I will keep taking it at regular schedule over the next few days and see if it makes a difference. I met a friend for lunch today whom I had last seen about 2 weeks back at f/t work. She was amazed at the difference now and how upright I was. So the improvement is very real. I guess I just have to be patient.. I also realised it is easier for me to climb stairs without my leki and adopt a regular rythmn just using the bannister. The four flights are easier that way. Coming down is still difficult though as certain muscles really hate being stretched. Oh well, all part of the recovery I guess.
Back to swimming tomorrow.

Thanks once again for all the help on here. You are all fab!
 
Last edited:
Well, @SurreyGirl, I personally think all that driving, the cold and wet weather and a job which requires a lot of sitting are all contributing to your stiffness. it sounds very normal and understandable to me anyway. I'm not 6 months out, but stiffness is a daily reality for me, too, plus grumpy unoperated hip which isn't so much stiff as achy. I think being mindful about movement during the day, the paracetamol (this is Tylenol, right?) and being able to swim in warm water to get in some full body stretching and movement would all be helpful. Oh, yeah, and icing and/or heat, whichever works better for you at night. But slow and steady wins the race for hipsters, keep chugging along and hang in there.
 
@SurreyGirl we have discussed this but not just the paracetamol — but I have also been icing — AND taking hot baths with (not fancy) rock salt in them. They help for a few hours on the coldest nights/days. When you are driving the car can you change the position of your left leg a bit? At all? As I mentioned on another thread — at this point I am just trying to power through to spring. I am taking my vitamins, drinking turmeric with black pepper and ginger, trying to get through. When you were in the islands and when I was in CA, we both experienced a reduction in pain so we know that when spring actually springs — we will be better.
Try not to get too discouraged. We are all in this together.
 
I'm assuming your drinking the Turmeric, Ginger and Black Pepper for inflammation? @lovesstars
I buy fresh Ginger to grate into tea, even hot water with Lemon. I bought Turmeric Powder and know it's good for inflammation. Wondering where the Black Pepper fits in? Basically wondering if you'll share with SurreyGirl and I exactly how you're using it? Very interested.

How are you SurreyGirl? How is your weekend going?
 
I read recently that Black Pepper is the co-factor for Turmeric — to help us to absorb it. Yes, I am drinking it for inflammation — but it works for inflammation because Turmeric increases circulation and black pepper also increases circulation (but also warms the body, similar to ginger but on a little bit deeper level). (I add brown rice syrup or agave syrup if I want it a little sweet...and sometimes vanilla to amuse myself)
 
I have fresh turmeric, black pepper, ginger and agave syrup so will give it a try. Thanks Barbara, Lovestars and Layla for your kind comments. There is rathrr a lot going on in our lives right now but hopefully things will settle down soon. 06:41 here and outside the window the birds think it is Spring!

I have to have realistic expectations six months out and do realise that the driving in start stop traffic for an hour to work followed by sitting doesn’t help. At weekends it is better so that tells me something. At work I routinely stand up when making telephone calls and take a longer route to the loo which involves stairs. At lunchtime I go for a half hour walk so am making the effort.

The knee exercises are helping. Will see what the physio says this week about the stiffness and sore muscles...maybe a massage would help.

I did switch to one co codamol in the morning and paracetamol after and that helped although my stomach doesn’t like the codeine. Even this far out I still get some zaps and burning sensation but not too bad.

I am sure it will all get better!

As usual thanks for being so supportive.
 
:hi:
I think you have a point, SurreyGirl, about the long commute, followed by prolonged sitting.
It seems you're trying to balance it with as much walking as possible while at work. As more healing takes place, I'll bet it becomes easier with less reminders that you're "still in recovery". You're getting there, slowly but surely. Don't worry about your pace, just keep your eye on the finish line.
Hope your Sunday is all you want it to be. :)
@SurreyGirl
 
Thanks! A busy Sunday! Shopping, washing bedsheets and stuffing and roasting a chicken. Going back to a “dry” week tomorrow.
I agree that things should get better with patience.

Left the Leki at home, used the shopping trolley for balance but handed it over when got too heavy. Was tired when I got back so stuck an icepack on which did the trick.

Keeping the co codamol to a minimum but one when I get to work helps!
 
Wow @SurreyGirl just catching up on your progress. Not very helpful but I'd be amazed if you weren't aching at this stage. That is one very busy life. I would cut down on the lunchtime walking and the stairs, is there a lift? I'd go for heating pads and hot water bottles not ice. When we had that big freeze recently I was so miserable. A bit of light stretching, a lovely massage and some swimming in a warm pool sounds more than enough with all the driving and a full time job. 6 months is still very early to be pushing yourself so much. Please look after yourself.
 
Hi Bickypeg! Thanks for your comments which I appreciate. The reason I walk at lunchtime is to stop myself seizing up completely. I can’t believe how stiff I get and do feel a bit like a robot.... but, judging by the racket the birds are making, Spring is around the corner so things will get better when it warms up.

We have just sold the family house so hubby has been busy packing stuff up so I have been on my own the past week with no heating bar the immersion heater. In our way both of us are rather exhausted but it will pass...:-).

Still a lot better then this time last year.
 
@SurreyGirl
Glad to hear that you have sold the family home but I expect it is bitter sweet for you.
You do such a lot it's not surprising you ache every so often.
As long as it's bearable then I think you should be very proud of yourself. These ops are no walk in the park.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Bionic! It is bittersweet as has been part of my life for 35 years and my husband’s for longer. But lots to think about now. Half term this week so at least the drive to work will be easier , then EaSter to come :-)
 
It was the parental house that was sold, not ours but we have spent three years commuting down to it and looking after it. It has been sold to another Doctors family who love it so pleased it has been bought by people who will appreciate it. We had to get it ready for sale in just over two weeks so hubby had a lot to do.....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom