Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hi Apricot. Will send you a message.

A bit of progress,my office is in the fourth floor of the building and once a day I climb the stairs. Going down is still a problem so working on those muscles affected but taking the lift down at the moment. I think at this point targeted PT will help without overdoing it. Will see how I get on and report back.

Re weight loss. Has anyone had good results with the 800 cal a day diet and or 5:2? I lost weight last time by restricting fat. Would like to lose 2 stone in a year.
 
@SurreyGirl
I must loose some weight too. Usually I go to SW but not sure I can be bothered this time. That mostly cuts out fat too and I know from past experience it definitely works.
I'm still trying to get rid of the Christmas goodies :-)

Ive never tried the 5:2 diet but had a friend who did well on it.
 
When my hip got very bad I lost over two stone in four months (BMI 28.4 to 24) using a food combining diet with no explicit calorie restrictions. First few weeks the pounds flew off and then it eased off as I got down to my target weight.

First two days carbs and fruits. Next three healthy fats and the following two protein (no fats or carbs). Last two were very hard eg breakfast was often grilled chicken breast and salad.

No sugary things (cakes, fizzy drinks) or crisps etc. But I did have alcohol and small amounts of dark chocolate. Eat regularly including snacks (mainly fruit). Drink a lot of water.

It got a bit boring but with effort could have nice food eg pork and cabbage, fish and green veg.

I have put half of the weight back on during the last year but will not start to diet again until hip feels ready.

Much better than calorie restricted diets which must be torture.

Although he may not be to everyone’s taste Joe Wicks has some sensible stuff on food combining.
 
Regarding SW. You will have their system books and recipe style. You don't need to go unless you feel their little talks and weigh-ins are motivating. You could save the cash and give it a splash with some smoked salmon and prawns instead!

Its such an issue losing weight and even more so maintaining it. Good luck to us all.
 
Hey, nice to get positive reinforcement from your new physio, @SurreyGirl, and getting some helpful direction moving forward. Having been walking disasters for so long before surgery, it's definitely great for hip replacement patients to get some positive reinforcement from anyone afterwards about how well we're doing. I also found helpful the comments about waiting too long for surgery really causing some problems, which brings home to me that I need to find the "sweet spot" for having a second replacement surgery--do it when the time is right (before I'm spectacularly disabled) so that the road back isn't so tough. I think being in fairly good shape before my right hip replacement (continuing to do some exercises and very low impact cardio) meant that recovery has been, all things considered, fairly straight forwards. Anyway, congrats on a good report, I am sure it boosted your mood for the day!
 
I lost 19lbs doing slimming world on my own last year..no class. Shared outcome weekly with work friends doing it too.
Never hungry on it and planning to do again as want to lose bit more.
5/2 did in past but didnt really lose.
Think you have to find what works for you.
Good luck
 
All very useful In formation re diets. Thanks everyone.

Went to view a house today that had outbuildings. There were a lot of stairs and steeper than I have at home. I had to be very careful coming downthem so that was my exercise today. Hip is twinging a bit now so might apply some ice.
 
So ok this morning. Making a beef and mushroom pie so the house smells great as it cooks.

Went to our local small supermarket and decided to leave the Leki in the car and not use a trolley. It was a bit scary but I managed. I think deep down I am scared of losing the Leki has have had a stick for two years. I do find I concentrate on the walking now if not using the stick. A small achievement but significant for me.

Off to make pastry now :-)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend...
 
Well done on the solo walk! Don't feel pushed into this. I was unsteady on my feet for many months post LTHR for the same reason. Using a walking aid for over 6 months pre-op didn't exactly build my confidence. Take is slow as you described. You will get your confidence back - just takes time and yet more patience.
 
It's possible you are attached to the Leki since you've been using it for two years.
I don't think you need to go cold turkey, but it sounds like you did with confidence and success on your trip to the supermarket today. Good for you! There is no shame in carrying it in with you, tossing it in the cart and reverting back if need be. You're weaning yourself from it and you'll get there. You're doing well, SurreyGirl!

Enjoy the rest of your day....mine is just beginning here across the pond. I'm still drinking my morning coffee.
@SurreyGirl
 
Afternoon cup of tea here before more chores. Work again tomorrow! Thanks both for the encouragement...
 
Happy Monday, @SurreyGirl. I am assuming you're hard at work at the weekly salt mines--hope that hip is doing well, and you didn't do anything silly this weekend to irritate it. it must feel like a cranky, easily offended relative sometimes, where you have to walk on egg shells so as not to set him/her off! A daily challenge when you're recovering from hip surgery. Sunshine just started peeking through the clouds in my neighborhood this morning, very inspiring--may go for a walk with a friend instead of the gym today, exercise AND fresh air, an unbeatable combo. Have a good day.
 
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. Nice cold but sunny day here so about to go for a short walk. I did the stairs up to the office again today and trying not to use the lift so much. Still tricky going downstairs though. I suppose now any improvements will be slow but sure and my patience is being tested for sure.. Starting swimming as of next week so will see how that goes.
 
@SurreyGirl just wondering if your surgeon told you to avoid the breast stroke when swimming? My LTHR surgeon did.
 
My surgeon didn't say I could not do breaststroke - in fact he said I could do virtually anything post-op apart from jumping off things.

It seems there is a lot of confused information about breaststroke after THR but the article in the link below seems to suggest that most surgeons consider it to be fine and that here is no evidence of any problems arising from swimming breaststroke.

I have been swimming since I was discharged at week 6 - up to 1km at the moment and it feels good. I currently use the whip kick for breaststroke rather than the frog kick as it uses less hip rotation.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...eplacement_Are_We_Sending_the_Correct_Message
 
Slowly but surely you're getting there, SurreyGirl. :yes:
Keep it up, it will get better and better. You're not even 6 months out yet and when you think of how long you'll have that prosthetic......you're only in your infancy.
Hope you're having a good day!
@SurreyGirl
 
Good morning, @SurreyGirl. Is this the week you start back swimming? I've heard it is great exercise but I've never been a fan. I do know how to swim, but I hate donning a bathing suit and the idea of swimming laps is like watching paint dry--so b-o-r-i-n-g. If I have to get in the water, I prefer to use one of those foam "noodles" and just float along at a leisurely pace. This can be nice, but certainly does absolutely nothing to promote strength and healing from hip surgery! Were you a swimmer before surgery? If you were, then I am guessing back into that, slowly but surely, might be really helpful. Good luck!
 
I LOVE that you're starting to move more! Yes! Good on ya! Just be aware that it's very hard to lose weight with exercise, but even so, the benefits of any kind of exercise are just too freakin' awesome to ignore!

Still tricky going downstairs though.
Downstairs is hard! It's counter-intuitive but it's true - if I haven't been exercising, there's this point when I'm pointing my foot down on the next step that my supporting leg gives out, and I drop the last 1/2 inch or so with a sad little clomp. My wife complains of the same thing! You? (Downhill is also hard on the knees!)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom