Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Naturally light brown but the colour put in goes golden brown under spotlights and the sun. Daylight colour is light brown.
 
I just wish hip would hurry up . As soon as I push the boundaries re walking it moans at me again. 5 months out now so hoping by the 6th to be off any poles etc but have to take it as it is...
 
Remember, it can take a full year. Even longer for some. You're not even halfway there so try not to be discouraged. It's difficult when you watch others blow by you, but many are in step with you and unfortunately some are suffering serious setbacks. You're getting there, slowly but surely making steady progress.
Enjoy the evening!
@SurreyGirl
 
You are on your way to a great vacay.
Best wishes for the new year!:happyfeet:
 
Hey, @SurreyGirl, I totally share your frustration with the slowness of full recovery. Having been really, really stupid yesterday morning (3 mile walk) I am aching and sore, although in my left, unoperated hip. I am feeling very grumpy and sorry for myself, probably exacerbated because my husband left around noon today, on his way to a football game in California, while I'm here fending for myself. It is difficult when on one hand you feel really great one day and lull yourself into thinking "I can do this" when "this" is something stupid and ill-advised. I guess the only consolation is that it doesn't do any permanent harm and just requires one to lie low, exercise patience and remember that we are going to get better despite ourselves. Happy new year to you!
 
To New Years Eve and Beyond

Firstly, Happy New Year! To everyone and thanks for the ongoing support. I feel I have made some friends here - you know who you are :-)

I had a great New Years Eve but did too much travelling over a 3 days period.

Started the New Year at a lovely Chinese restaurant with great food and wine - followed by walking to "Turtle Bay Restaurant" for a “quick drink” at 10:30pm… 6 “Side Chick Martinis” later we celebrated New Year with the lovely staff and the chef came out with a Goat Curry for everyone. Nice!

We then tried to walk through the Bourne Gardens where there was supposed to be an amazing light display in the trees. Sadly, as it was now 2nd January, the stingy Bournemouth Council had switched the lights off. So we walked in the dark amongst drunken by happy revellers all shouting out “Happy New Year” to everyone they met. Wasn’t as scary as it sounded!

The walk back uphill from the beach was tough as equivalent to walking up the height of a clifftop. I was moaning a lot by the time we got back to the house but managed with my Leki. My knee and hip both survived.

The next morning my head was a lot worse than my hip! Bleurgh. Cocktails. Ewww. If this is our last New Years Eve in the Family House it at least had a good send off!

Back at work now and went to greet my boss with a Happy New Year at 8:30 this morning! Her first comment was, “oh you still have your stick”… And so my first New Years’s Resolution was enacted…..

I took a deep breath, smiled, and said

“I know you mean well but you and others all comment on my continued use of the stick when you see me. It is very frustrating for me as I really wish I was further along too but my body took a lot of damage prior to the op and will take its own sweet time.

I am back, I am working, and I am driving… all progress”.

She immediately apologised and said she hadn’t meant it like that. But the point was made. I genuinely think she wasn't aware of how the well-meaning comments affect me. Comments like that drip feed over time and make me feel like a failure. As someone said on here I need to develop a thicker skin. Another NYE resolution.

In the meantime I can now stand on the operated leg to put my trousers on... progress! Didn't even realise I was doing it until hubby pointed it out.
 
Wow @SurreyGirl well done you saying all that to your boss ... !
You are back at work, driving, coping with nights out. You are doing really well but as you say need to be able to recognise what others say is their opinion not fact. It is your opinion of you that counts as you are the only one who knows the facts.
Wishing you ongoing faith in yourself in 2019 my friend :loveshwr:
 
“I know you mean well but you and others all comment on my continued use of the stick when you see me. It is very frustrating for me as I really wish I was further along too but my body took a lot of damage prior to the op and will take its own sweet time.

:ok:perfect!
 
@SurreyGirl Brilliant response to your boss. As some of us had suspected she didn't mean it nastily but when you already feel vulnerable comments like that don't help.
I think you are doing great just wish I could do as well but I mustn't forget that I have had 2 hips done in fairly quick succession and am waiting for the knee op.
The knee is really bothering me. It causes a lot of pain and is stopping me from testing out the newest hip. Still, I am looking to the future and recovery once the knee is sorted.

I glad you gave the house a good send off. Sometimes I miss Bournemouth as there is a lot to do there it I can't have wide open spaces as well :-)

I hope that being back at work isn't too much of a shock to the system
 
Uh-oh....it sounds like the Side Chick Martinis sidelined you. :sick: :swoon:
Not a good way to start the New Year.
I'm happy you addressed your bosses comments. It sounds like you got your point across in a non confrontational way. Hopefully her apology was sincere and you won't have to hear those comments from her going forward.
A great Wednesday to you @SurreyGirl whats left of it anyway. It's only mid-morning here.
 
Good for you, @SurreyGirl! I think your comments to your boss were spot on, clear but without making it a challenge to her. We all need to learn to stand up for ourselves. I also think WE need to stand up to our own preconceptions and guilt about what our recovery should look like--until it doesn't. Many of seem so hard on ourselves, thinking we should be much, much further ahead than we are, and worrying that we are failures at this whole hip recovery process. I know my aching hips the last couple of days are directly attribute to my own stubbornness and failure to acknowledge that despite doing well, I am clearly NOT fully recovered and need to stop doing stupid stuff like walking three miles, knowing I'm going to pay for it later.

Sorry about yesterday's headache. Yes, cocktails go down so easily and can be so lethal afterwards. Hope you're feeling better this morning and that the next two days go well--and then the weekend. And aren't you jetting off on vacation this month, too? I'd be looking forward to that! Cheers, and "happy hump day"!
 
Will post an update tomorrow but saw a different physio today and he was very informative... He is convinced my piriformis muscle is giving me some jip and concentrated on both my right knee (which is a bit better after doing the exercises from a few weeks back) and on my gait... I came out of there feeling quite optimistic. He also restated that the long wait with a damaged hip prior to the op had screwed the muscles and that it would take time to get back to normal - echoing what has been said on Bonesmart here. However, he said I was doing everything right and that the scar area was soft not tight and healing well. All good!
 
I think I also left it late to have the operation - I had 20 odd sessions at BUPA concentrating on FAI rather than OA. While I am progressing pretty well my muscles are sore and I can see that my right thigh is now quite a bit smaller than the left! My surgeon said my muscles had atrophied as a result of arthritis and the leg getting shorter. I am seeing the physio on Friday - I suspect I will be given more exercises (eg oysters) with resistance bands.

In the meantime I can now stand on the operated leg to put my trousers on... progress!
This is my ambition - I have to hold onto something to balance when I stand on my operated leg.
 
All good progress on all accounts.
Pesky things these muscles and scar tissue.
My hairdresser who is an Iyengar Yoga teacher gave me an exercise today. Its very small movement, requires lots of concentration but moves lots of things.

You do it when eg cleaning teeth, waiting for the kettle to boil etc.
Stand with your hip still - try not to let it move.
Slowly peel the foot in the other leg off the floor starting at the heel. You can hold on when you take it off the floor.
Should be done on both legs.
 
useful info... I am thinking of going to an Iyengar teacher as have had good experience with one when on holiday.
I saw a different physio yesterday (he had my notes) and it was very encouraging. He also sails hobie cats so was seeing "the person" rather than "the body" and taking me seriously about where I saw myself in six months time. ... he explained about how my weak gluteus medius muscles were affecting the piriformis muscle and what to do about it.
He gave me some more knee exercises as the ones I have are working well and some stretching. One of the knee exercises he told me to do every two days and be cautious. We discussed elastic bands as aids and I said not at least for another month - if ever!

We concentrated on walking and he gave me some ideas for this too which had an immediate effect.

He was very impressed with my ROM 5 months out and also the scar which he said was soft and not tight and healing well. Again he was very careful and advised on the walking and not doing too much - just extending the distance a little until comfortable and then again. He definitely seemed to have more of the Bonesmart philosophy.

I have booked to see him again in a months time and then back to my regular physio. They both work together which is good.
 
Sounds like you had a productive visit, SurreyGirl. You are making progress, even though it feels slow.
I think you're wise in refusing the bands. They're really not necessary and I've read of more people suffering setbacks after using them. You'll have to let us know how the Yoga goes.
A great Thursday and weekend to you!
@SurreyGirl
 
Happy New Year Surreygirl. That all sounds very promising.

Your hair is fabulous, and so was your riposte to your boss. Well done you!
 
A good friend of mine now in Norfolk is an Iyengar teacher. They are very well trained and rigorous. That sounds an excellent idea.
It does seem as if all the muscular skeletal damage is done to those of us who wait too long. So takes longer tra la la. My physio reiterated that today. I too will retry on some things I have let slip.

Be very interested in your new knee exs and walking tips.
 
Back
Top Bottom