THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Life Post Bath

@Barbaraj good for you for taking it easy. I think pacing yourself if crucial. I should pay more attention to my own advice!

@Bionic I use a rubber mat and it makes things feel much safer

Things now winding down at work for Christmas. Boss commented this morning, as I was clacking past her, that I “was still using a crutch”. It is wet and windy outside – of course I am going to use one! I don’t indoors though. Still have some swelling and pain if sitting too long but that is my fault.

I am now sleeping through the night. Hurrrah! Haven't been able to do this for years.

Went to the chiropodist yesterday and now have beautiful feet free of hard skin and with nice short toenails. SO much better. The Chiropodist loved my Propet shoes and wanted to know where I got them from as is going to recommend them to his patients.

The trip from the bus station to the Foot Clinic was one mile – uphill and in the rain. I did it but was pretty tired by the time I arrived. “Hermione the Hip” however stood up to it well. No issues this morning.

However, I left my Radley shopping bag and Ipad on the bus on the return journey. Realised fairly quickly what I had done and hung about the bus stop and luckily found the same driver. Someone had handed it in to him. Phew! So glad that there are some honest people about. I am going to send the Bus Station a Christmas card.

Hubby pleased I have it returned but now I am not hearing the end of it. Typical! I have just bought him a nice tough camera for use outdoors which has a macro facility so he should have a fun Christmas.

The next social event in my life involves an Italian evening, an accordionist that takes requests and can apparently play anything in any style, and a sing-along to the various requests. Sounds like fun! And might have a cheeky Chianti or Barolo to help the vocal chords. Apparently there may be an outbreak of Italian Opera!

Was invited to Cambridge to a pub near my sisters for a family get together but would have to drive myself. And back on the same day. Sadly this is not going to happen. I think I would be pushing it too far. Pity.

Hope everyone is well and recovering at their various stages. Seeing my nice Physio tomorrow so hopefully she can give me some advice re my "naughty knee".

Sorry your knee is troubling you @SurreyGirl
It sounds like you're doing pretty well otherwise.
Sleeping through the night is the best :yawn: :sleep: Hope it continues.
A great rest of the week to you!

Hi @Layla The right knee was an issue before the op. I do have early onset arthritis there but hoping that walking properly and losing some weight will postpone the inevitable...

And it very well may postpone it. I wish you the best in your efforts!
Getting old sure isn't for sissies, is it, Surrey Girl? Some days I want a "do-over". :heehee:
@SurreyGirl

I agree with @Layla, don't give up hope that taking some additional steps of concentrating on your gait and maybe losing a few pounds (although I don't know I'd bother starting on a diet plan while the holidays are in full force--too many wonderful, albeit fattening, things to eat and enjoy) I was really worried about my left hip as soon as my right hip began feeling better. It hadn't really bothered me at all in the months leading up to surgery on my right hip. But once I stopped anxiously worrying that a second surgery was just around the corner and remembered that it IS possible to stave off problems a least for awhile--I've returned to the gym and also doing PT--it has gotten better. I am sure being older, and getting more so every day, has contributed to my overall creakiness, but I also think taking sensible steps to improve one's overall health are a smart move. And you won't know until you try. So think positive, @SurreyGirl. Enjoy the delights of the holiday season, and then resolve to continue doing the good things you're already doing, and maybe incorporate a few new tricks as the new year begins. Congrats on sleeping through the night (isn't that heavenly?) and have fun at Italian night, and good luck at the physio.

@SurreyGirl So sorry to hear about the foolish comment from your boss. Ignore ignorance. Karma is a darn, and your boss may well remember the idiot comments she made to others, later on in life, when she is limping round with no end in site!

What a nice story to hear that the bus driver found your bags and kept them, phew!

Sorry to hear about you knee. My right knee started giving me trouble before RTHR, and then was quiet for bit, but around four weeks started kicking up. I found with really walking correctly with my right foot fall, and lots of icing, it eventually resolved. Good luck with that.

Enjoy your Italian party!!

Thank you! I genuinely think that boss’s comments are from ignorance not Ill will but I am getting tooth marks on my tongue from having to bite it so often!

Will see what the physio says today. I have three prepaid sessions left so will concentrate on knee and walking. The mile uphill I did the other day did not make things worse so this is a good sign. Maybe I should video some stretching exercises to make sure I am getting them right.

I think the worse thing at the moment is too much sitting at a computer and not moving around enough. I need to get this sorted!

Italian party imminent :) Ciao!

@SurreyGirl

I agree that there is probably no ill will behind your bosses comment re the crutch but really the woman sounds like a fool. What is she possibly hoping to achieve? How is she supposed to be a manager if she appears to have no concept of basic psychology and that comments like that will only make the receiver feel that somehow they are not doing enough to get better or even dragging things out. Good for you not rising to her silly comments which are just made out of ignorance.

Just a suggestion but would you be able to have a quiet word with her and say " I realize that your mention of me still using the crutch is just an observation, but, it makes me feel that you think that should not need it by now. I feel that i am being judged negatively".

The main thing with this type of stuff (in my opinion) is not to accuse her of anything but to give a honest account of how her thoughtless comments are affecting you. This could go either way but i doubt very much that she is even aware of what she is saying and if she is half way a decent person she will do a bit of reflection and to be perfectly blunt then shut up with the useless comments.

You are doing brilliantly. I saw my OS yesterday and he said that it takes up to a year before things are OK, he said that i will probably have setbacks and that is par for the course. You have achieved so much hang on to that!

Ginny x

:bath: That's the way.
In the words of my old taichi teacher. Turn to one side and let it flow past you do not meet it head on and absorb its negative impact.
Or Michelle's famous when they go low we go high.
Enjoy your Italian night. Cin Cin.

Just had a good session this afternoon. Hip now doing well but I explained that sharp pain in right knee was putting me off walking distances. After a mile, and on stairs I can feel it. We spent 40 mins going over stretching and strengthening exercises for the knee. She also gave me some further hip exercises that I can now do with confidence. Before I did them too early but they are ok now. The hip stretching exercises really helped.

She is pleased with my gait and is encouraging me to come off the crutch more and more but still to use it when I am tired. although I am still nervous about walking outside without it - particularly in the current rainy conditions.

Got home and she had already sent me the exercises we discussed via email . She also measured my flexibility kneewise so she can compare it next time.

Italian sing along tonight with accordion player and set menu. Should be fun!

Hey, @SurreyGirl, sounds like overall a good session with your physio. I hope the new stretching exercises help with the knee issues, and great news that she thinks your gait is improving. I would be careful about losing the crutch before you're ready, particularly this time of year with nasty weather and the possibility of falling is high. You need to feel completely comfortable and stable, I'd think, before venturing too far outside these days. And tonight's the Italian sing-a-long and a good meal (with chianti, I hope). That should be fun, so enjoy yourself!

Merry Christmas everyone and a huge thank you to Josephine and the Admin/Moderators and fellow hippies. I could not have got through the last 4.5 months without you.

Here is hoping a successful and happy 2019 to all.

Xxx

Friday! Whew!
Giving out Christmas dinner boxes today and having a bit of a break!

Hope your holidays are Sweet and Joyful... @SurreyGirl
Your support for others is gracious and I'm guessing Santa is very pleased with you this year!
:santa sleigh:
Don't forget to leave cookies.....

Happy Friday!
What a sweet message you left above @SurreyGirl Thanks on behalf of BoneSmart!
You've been a devoted friendly encourager to many and part of what makes BoneSmart
such a valuable resource...the commaraderie. We all get it!
Hope your day is sweet and your weekend all you want it to be!

:merry christmas:

Happy Friday, @SurreyGirl. Assume you have to work today but then perhaps you're off until after Christmas? That would be nice, although our working kids either are working all day on Monday, or at least a half day. Anyway, enjoy your weekend--lots of sitting around, I hope, and thinking holiday thoughts. Cheers!

Just got home and no office for a week! Major shopping tomorrow and picking up Turkey on Monday. I am stuffing it and hubby is cooking it! Seeing friends for a curry tonight.

Work was fun today with bacon butties and mulled wine being cooked up in the lab. We all pay a bit to the charity pot. I think there were about 40 people there from technicians to HR! Nice atmosphere.

Our VC has given us Christmas Eve off so that is good...

That’s me on the left doing my PT!

:reindeer::kitty chris:

Quick mention @SurreyGirl
I got a stand up desk after having work station assessment and through access to work. It has been really good as can alternate standing with sitting.
Might be worth considering as long as it doesnt aggravate hermione the hip (love that you have given it a name)
Hope you enjoy your well earned rest
:reindeer:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom