THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Any other ways of improving knee muscles as well as a static bike? Mine are more troublesome than my hips sometimes especially at night. And it's so hard trying to lose weight when you can't exercise properly. I've never found dieting alone works. In fact my weight is as before but the flab!!:gaah:
 
Hey, @SurreyGirl, I think it's the weekend by now in your world, so I hope it's starting out well, and you're resting and recuperating from your exhausting work week. Just got back from a nice dinner out with my hubby, and settling in for the evening--viva la weekend ahead!
 
:wave: Bet you are glad the work week is over.
Apparently I will be adding picking grapefruit to my list of food bank duties today.
Nice old lady wants me to come pick them and donate them to food bank.
It involves a ladder and the nice old lady overseeing the whole operation:groan:
What I get myself into!

Hope your weekend is relaxing and happy!:SUNsmile:
 
Hopefully won't earn the moniker of "The Great Grapefruit Debacle of 2018":fingersx:
Pray for me Surreygirl...and have a Paloma on me!
 
Hey @SurreyGirl
Let's have @Josephine weigh in on your question in Post # 719 - using a crutch at four months post op.
I guess I'm not sure why you're using it? Is it for stability, are you limping, or is it just for security?
Do you ever walk without it?
I'll look forward to her response. I hope you have a great weekend!
 
Thanks everyone!

Re crutch: I rarely use it at home. Just when I wake up at 4am, need to go to the loo and woozy. Not taking any chances. More and more outside on flat surfaces I am walking with it just in case.

On steep slopes I need it. I slow my steps right down and very carefully make it up the hill. If I walk too long things get tight muscle wise. It is all getting better for sure but slow. Taking it very easy today and currently back in bed with ice but no painkillers. Ice being enough to calm things down for now.

I have asked hubby to take a proper picture of my scar for posting on the gallery here and then the Maki bots can see what I am dealing with ;-)
 
I think you will find there is no timeframe for transitioning off any walking aids. If you feel more secure - use what gives you confidence. When you start leaving the crutch or cane behind it's a sign you are moving on.
 
Is it ok to still be using a crutch nearly four months out? I do feel more secure with it but wonder if I should be working harder on walking without.
Absolutely it's okay! You must take as long as you deem it comfortable and appropriate for your safety and welfare.
 
Thanks @Josephine xx

I don’t intend to have it any longer than I need to but a lot of steep slopes and steps last week and next plus 1 hour 40 mins plus each day driving in start stop traffic so hip a bit achy and tired and therefore needs a bit of support. Also helps me keep my back straight. Absolutely “slothing” it this weekend as a result but all good. At least the tiredness now feels like jet lag rather than complete exhaustion....

Btw. Hubby had a brilliant suggestion. I wanted him to take a graphic photo of the scar so if I had any more sarky comments at work I could show them the pic and cause them to puke.

He suggested that during my appraisal if there were any comments like that I should just pull my trousers down and show them. I am very tempted!!!!

It is quite a nasty blot on my otherwise “beautiful and voluptuous” body ;-)
 
@SurreyGirl

Your boss sounds like a horror. What is the matter with this person!

Good for you by rising above it all, but must be hard.

I get exhausted reading about what you do so i hope that you are having a lazy Sunday. I have bought the Active Scar Shield for my scar and i will let you know if it works.

Warmest wishes x
 
@SurreyGirl
I had quite a few scars after my car accident (1985) and found it difficult coming to terms with it. I wouldn't swim etc because I had a great big scar down the right thigh but as time has gone on I look at them as @Apricot had said. They are my war wounds and I am proud of them. Its just as well as I am adding to them at a fair rate of knots lately.
@Ginny12 I am looking forward to your reviews on the Active Scar Shield too
 
Hope everyone has a good week. Apart from the steep hill, when I use it, I am mainly walking around carrying the crutch and trying to do heel toe walking. Figure I am walking about 1 Miles to 1.5 miles a day. Still having to ice when I get home for about an hour. Rarely taking meds now.

Taking some time out tomorrow to see my physio and will ask her to test my Rom as have not seen her for a few weeks. Thinking of switching to hydrotherapy for a few sessions to see how that goes. Once less busy at work will look at swimming on a regular basis...
 
Some hydrotherapy sounds wonderful ...just what I did at about four months out.
Just be careful, easy to overdo.
I thought about participating in some arthritis classes they offer, but opted to just do mostly water walking which was fabulous.
 
All sounds excellent to me. Agree about not overdoing the water works...Walking in the pool is good if you have one at a suitable level. Remember the water provides resistance.
 
What exactly is hydrotherapy, @SurreyGirl? I am assuming it's not lolling about in a hot tub with jets, and is more vigorous than that. But warm water sounds heavenly so, sure, I think you should give it a whirl. I hate swimming (going back to childhood when I was blind as a bat and had to take off my glasses to swim) but slow movements in a warm water environment sound nice. I haven't even really thought about my ROM since surgery, and have no idea if it's good or bad. But your comments are prompting me to check in with my PT lady this coming Saturday at my next appointment. I assume my ROM prior to surgery was pretty terrible but I don't recall taking a deliberate look at it. So, we'll see. Have a great day.
 
Back
Top Bottom