THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

All good fun BarbaraJ!

Now the fun part for me. Hip progressing well but a very bad toothache over the weekend and I think a filling is loose so off to the dentist I go. She is not my regular dentist.

Should I insist on antibiotics? A bit scared that, having done so well I could end up with an infection.

Tagging @Josephine as appt is at 12:15 Uk time...

Thanks
 
@SurreyGirl The latest thinking is there is no need for antibiotics. I have asked the same question dozens of times and always get no for an answer (GP, dentist and surgeon). The overuse of antibiotics has gotten us in the situation that particular strains of infection are immune. If you are worried call your GP or ask the dentist.
 
Bad news. Cracked tooth and bad infection so will be prescribed antibiotics. Going back to dentist this afternoon as an emergency. Eeek...
 
Thanks. The dentist is very nice but says I might need a special clinic but is going to try..... I have to confess I am getting fed up with the issues - just asking as the hip doesn’t get infected!
 
45 minute investigation, filling removed - had it since I was 12 and a huge crack underneath. Dentist drilled out crack and went into two root canals. Apparently there was a third but she said she couldn’t find it! At one point the anaesthetic did not work and I nearly jumped off the table. She cleaned out the area and put in some antibiotic.

I now have antibiotics for a week and can’t have alcohol. Such a shame as was going to a food and wine tasting with friends after work on Wednesday and had been looking forward to it for weeks as it was marking my recovery and with friends who have been brilliant throughout.. . But am aware of infection risks so glad this was caught. Dentist said it was “very nasty” and wants me in for another 45 min session next week where she will either try to repair the tooth or take it out. She says I may need to go to a specialist to save the tooth but that could be very expensive.

One bright note. The dentists is up a very steep flight of stairs and I managed them twice today.

Today is 4 months anniversary of hip op. Really felt I was turning the corner and this happens. Groan! Oh well! Things happen in threes so maybe an end to it now!
 
@SurreyGirl Sounds as if you have just had a major dental overhaul, ugh! Hope the second visit will wrap up it all up to be a thing of the past. No fun when the local anesthetic doesn't cover...yikes :yikes:! Glad you are on antibiotics for this dental "adventure".

Congratulations on your four month anniversary, and "celebratory" taking on steep stairs with with gusto! I'm sure you'd must rather be at the food and wine tasting on Wednesday:groan:.
Wishing this dental work to be a mere blip on the screen of your corner turning:flwrysmile:
 
@SurreyGirl

This extra dental challenge is definitely not fair. I hope that the Gods are listening and will send you some well deserved good luck for a change.

Thinking of you. xx
 
Oh, ugh..unexpected dental work, expensive and certainly not anything you want to be dealing with right now. Sounds pretty miserable. Have you had problems with your teeth before, or like your BP, is this something that just happened to crop up? I agree that you definitely need a streak of good luck, which will translate into "no more stuff happening except hip healing", and you want it NOW! By the way, I am one of those whose surgeon said "antibiotics before dental procedures for LIFE". I am wondering whether this is because I was diagnosed with gross staph before surgery, requiring that yucky, greasy ointment applied twice a day before surgery? Thankfully, I'm overall pretty healthy and really don't think this is necessary but maybe the word will get to my surgeon at some point that this antibiotic stuff isn't necessary life long, but for now I'll do what he says. I have had such remarkable success with this hip replacement so far that I'm inclined to follow his post-surgical directions to the letter. But maybe a few years out I'll change my mind. Anyway, feel better and I hope this tooth situation gets figured out and fixed quickly.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, SurreyGirl.
So sorry you're now dealing with the tooth issue.
You've had a rough time lately.
I hope the days start looking brighter for you. :console2:
@SurreyGirl
 
Hi, SurreyGirl,

I’m glad to hear you are getting back in the groove and sorry about yet another new issue by way of your tooth. The misses is a dentist and as owners of a dental practice, we see cases like yours often. Molars and pre molars are especially challenging as without the proper imaging and special microscope, it can be very difficult diagnosing and treating/saving your tooth. That’s most likely why there’s a third canal on radiograph but they couldn’t find the entry point even with loupe magnification. It’s expensive but you do need to see an endodontist who has the expensive diagnostic tools and expertise. The root canal can take many twists and turns that are difficult to navigate and anthropologistically speaking, humans of Northern European dissent have a high probability of a dual or parallel canals. Any nerve material not removed can cause further complications so please seek the specialist if you want to save the tooth. The other option is extraction but now you are creating a large wound.
I’m sure wifey will look at your image if you care to PM us but I would go to the endo and not seek another go with your general dentist. Just my opinion and do care about you and all the BoneSmart folks.

Good Luck!
 
Oh my stars..
So sorry for another crisis for you to deal with my hippy pal.
Very happy hip is not adding to it...great for getting up all those stairs so brilliantly!
Thinking of you and wishing you well.
 
I must echo the advice of Wave Hog. I am a dental hygienist and have had an endontist do all my root canals rather than a general practitioner. I've learned a painful and expensive lesson to stop eating frozen miniature snickers bars lol. I hope this gets resolved with minimal discomfort for you.

Awesome job on the stairs!
 
Thanks for the advice.... @Wave Hog and @SwampHiker. The dentist herself said that it might be better to get a referral. She phoned this morning to find out how I was. Not too bad actually. At least I know I am tackling the infection.

Now back to "Hermione the Hip" and a slightly belated 4-month progress report.

1) Can put my socks and shoes on!
2) Can get into and out of my MX5 and am enjoying driving it
3) Less staggering steps and stiffness when waking up in the morning
4) Stairs are easy - the dentist steps were really steep and there was 30 of them!
5) Finally got rid of hated over-loo seat. Kept shower seat as makes life easy. Haven't dared try a bath yet
6) Walking longer without the crutch - but with masses of students everywhere, who don't look up from their mobiles when walking, I am taking the crutch with me as a precaution. Will try the Leki this weekend and see how I get on.
7) Still some pain in my left butt and stiffness after prolonged walking. Ice and hot water bottle sorts it out. Was off all pain meds until dental incident... Have co-codamol (and dried figs) as a backup.
8) Still get very tired after a full days' work. But must try to fit in swimming soon
9) Starting a diet and trying to do more walking

Thanks to all who have supported me on here - both admin, nurses and bonesmarties.... you are very much appreciated!
 
Back
Top Bottom