Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

@Mojo333 Yes I can see a few of these helping. The pressure massage in particular. I think all the sitting at work and in the show is having an affect. Instead of joining my friends at the interval I am going for 15 minute walks around the theatre! Two shows today with a 2 hour break in between so will get a walk in then.

last nights audience gave us a standing ovation and were dancing in the ailes during the encore. I was very happy. Lots of friendly and well meaning comments from members of the audience who had not seen me for a while and were surprised when they saw the crutch! .

Both shows are now sold out which is great for the very hardworking society. And I get paid today :/)

Went out for a meal with the cast afterwards and everyone was buzzing. I think there were 50 of us including the stage crew and puppeteers. Hubby as MD is getting on famously with the Director. They are cooking up plans for another show. I think it extremely likely they will get booked as a team again.....

Tomorrow I expect there will be a lot of post show blues about. I am planning to counter this by cooking a comforting roast chicken with homemade truffle stuffing. Will get hubby to help me get it in and out of the oven.

Two very busy weeks at work coming up and lots of early starts but not much I can do about that. Lots of people with nasty hacking coughs wandering about not using tissues... . I am avoiding the communal fridge....Roll on December!

I will get the results of the ecg and blood tests in two weeks time. In the meantime bp around 140/90 which is still highish but is gradually coming down.

Thanks to all of you who sent me messages publicly and privately when I got hospitalised a few weeks ago. It seems like a long time ago now.
 
Two sold out shows! :wowspring:
It would be so fun to be a part of it!
Instead of joining my friends at the interval I am going for 15 minute walks around the theatre!
I think this is very wise..I too had to take short walks, still do often, after lots of sitting.
You have been very strong through this recovery so do make yourself a roast chicken with truffle dressing for a prize!
Yum! Will make the house smell So Good!
I have " PR engagement" this morning.
Not thrilled as it is Saturday and I I'm a bit burnt out from a busy week.
After that, definitely some country time.:SUNsmile:
 
Lovely sunny day here! Won’t see much of it but always adds to a cheerful mood. I love the smell of roast chicken wafting through the house. We always make stock out of the carcass and freeze in concentrated small amounts for making won tun soup or stock for casseroles.
 
@SurreyGirl
Wow, 2 shows and a standing ovation. Well done all of you. Good move to walk about during the intervals. Stops you getting stiff.
I love roast chicken, can I come to dinner?
I have mastered getting things in and out of the oven myself but roast is the worst of the lot because of the weight. As my other hip op is only 2 weeks away I will have to get used to husband doing it all for me again.

Hope you get some good rest this weekend before you join the workers again on Monday
 
Sold out shows, @SurreyGirl, how gratifying for you and the others putting on this extravaganza! Woo, hoo! And that chicken, particularly with the truffle stuffing, does sound heavenly and I can imagine that the smell wafting the house would be very pleasant! I made hummus this morning, simmering garbanzo beans for 45 minutes and, regrettably, garbanzo beans do NOT smell particularly enticing! I will need to bake some cookies (yes, just the ticket!) this afternoon to counteract the vaguely unpleasant smell emanating through my house (nose wrinkling up here). Your posts sound cautiously optimistic, as if you are feeling more philosophical about your hip progress, your blood pressure and your ability to handle the crazy demands of your life. I hope I'm reading this right anyway. Cheers, and have a good weekend.
 
:wave:Hope you are chilling out this Sunday..
A well deserved rest!
:loveshwr:
 
Hi everyone!
Yesterday was great. Two shows and more standing ovations, last night party and slept the entire morning. A very friendly week with no divas either if one excepts the flouncing Audrey plant :-)

Sitting on a chair for 1.5 hours and then again for an hour was a challenge but the stretching and walking in the intervals helped. Everyone was very kind. I don’t think my violin case has been carried by so many people in its life!

One mishap and feeling it today. The band tried to go outside for a pizza between shows. It was raining heavily. We gave up and went back to the theatre complex. The floor in the main atrium was tiled. The bottom of my crutch was wet and slipped. My whole body twisted with quite a lurch. Fortunately i managed not to fall over but the muscle that has been giving me grief is playing up again today. I have two weeks coming up involving walking up and down a steep hill 2-3 times a day and hosting courses so this won’t be easy. Thinking of switching to a hiking stick as better on slippery roads outside - wet leaves and crutches not being a good mix.

So a bit of a challenge. Also OH recent recommendation for an extra day working from home to cut down on the commuting has been overruled. Realistically it would have been difficult to do that for the next two weeks anyway due to commitments but I am furious. I work really hard and it seems to be all give... But karma will be a wonderful thing! Eventually....

I do have to wonder what would happen if I got a setback due to the OH advice being ignored. Hopefully that won’t happen but they are not making it easy for me.

Anyway end of rant. About to have a shower and wake the Sleeping Beauty upstairs who is still snoring away at 12:33pm :/)
 
Sorry they overruled giving you an extra day at home @SurreyGirl
And I'm So glad you did not fall!
No falling...it's in the Rules for Recovering Hippys
I think it is actually Rule Numero Uno!
Have a restful Sunday...and you know we have a saying
"Let sleeping dogs lie":heehee:
Take the day for You.
 
Actually in pain today so going to raid my emergency supply of codeine and hubby will do the weekly shop. When I have my telephone consultation with the doctor re the ecg results will ask about another prescription for emergencies. I have been off nearly all pain meds for a month now barring the odd paracetamol but will up them if I need too.
 
Sorry you are hurting today.
Don't forget the ice...not for libation, for hip!:heehee:
 
Sold out shows, standing ovations, meals out with the cast, sounds like we have a celeb on board here.
Wow, you've had some action packed days!

Sorry about the mishap causing you discomfort. Thankfully it wasn't worse. I hope you find relief soon.
Your post above is making me want to roast a chicken on this unseasonably cold day with snow in the ground. I'm also starting to notice coughing, sniffling and sneezing while out on public. Tis the season!

I hope you have a lovely week and I'm sorry you don't get that extra day at home for work. Very unfortunate.
Hugs @SurreyGirl
 
Oh, @SurreyGirl, I am sorry to hear about your setback due to a slippery crutch and almost fall--a total bummer! I hope your doctor will agree to prescribe an emergency stash of pain killers so you can deal with anything that comes up in the future (although hopefully nothing further). That is so frustrating about the OH's recommendation being overruled, I'd be furious as well. Your schedule always sounds so exhausting to me, with a hectic job and then a full social/extracurricular life as well. I hope this weekend you've been able to just veg out, rest and recoup. Sending sunny weather from my neck of the woods, hoping you get sunshine, too. Hang in there--a clearly long, tedious recovery but you are still moving forward, just remember that and give yourself a pat on the back.
 
Well, Monday is over now. Hope it went smoothly enough and the pain is retreating. Oh well no surprises with Madam Line Manager's decision. It seems very productivity rather than person centred at your Temple to the Intellect. You could always gift her one of those charming Hollywood blockbusters about workplace brutality to innocent young flowers. I leave the choice to you.
 
Busy day today with and early start and including walking up and down a small steep hill to get to the venue where there were more steps inside. Using one crutch and stepping very carefully on wet leaves. Hip coping well - knees not so much. Currently typing this with my foot up with icepacks on knees which seems to be doing the trick.

Getting up and having dinner soon.

Yesterday’s roast chicken (a joint cooking effort) was lovely and lots of nice chicken stock being made for future meals.

Hope everyone had a good day!
 
Hi, @SurreyGirl. Glad to hear that foot elevation and ice packs on the knees is helping. Whatever works, that's the ticket! I've started putting on my seat warmers in my car, not because it's that cold outside, but I love the warmth on my butt and thighs, very comforting. Chicken from your meal yesterday sounds nice (I basically ate snacks and bar food all day yesterday and feeling slightly crummy digestion-wise today), and leftover chicken stock is definitely nice. I am making soup today, but confess I relief on canned broth for my base. I've never made chicken stock before, but using leftover chicken carcass and meat sounds like it's the way to go. Keep walking carefully, don't want to upset that hip or knee.
 
Hi everyone. Telephone consultation with my GP today re recent incident. By averaging 140/85 with the help of the pills.

Nearly the end of a week of courses and more next week. Climbing the hill to the venue 2-3 times a day very slowly. Hip puffs up a bit st the end of the day as does my left ankle but resting and ice sorts it.

I am still using one crutch for stability. But in flat ground can walk faster than ore op and with longer strides...

So I have a question.
Is it ok to still be using a crutch nearly four months out? I do feel more secure with it but wonder if I should be working harder on walking without.

Anyone who has experience of this please chip in! Thanks :-)
 
Are you using an elbow crutch or a stick?
I would say the answer is YES. If you are using a crutch I would move onto a stick. You might want to use a hospital style stick rather than the Leki. They are more stable. Adult services ought to be able to provide you with one of that kind.
You are probably doing this already - walk without one much of the time inside. At work keep on using one until you are satisfied you can manage without most of the time.
The knees....the more the hip allows us to improve mobility the more the knees will feel it. All we can try is to strengthen the knee muscle, lubricate the joint - static bike, ice a bit and hope for the best that we can keep active and become somewhat lighter. Anyway that's my current position.

BP is doing well.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom