Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Just a thought. You will have had an ECG and a range of blood tests pre hip op. If anything had been flagged up then the hip op would have been postponed.
 
That’s what I thought too.... btw at a and e they wanted to do an ecg but two machines were broken and they didn’t have enough. Poor NHS :-(
 
@SurreyGirl

I think that that is a false perception in society about hip/knee surgery. From what i can gather (and from people who have not had it done) they think that modern surgery is now a piece of cake. Even in my family my mum cannot understand why i am tired after the op for example. People are supposed to have a perfect recovery and clime Everest after a few weeks in some peoples minds. If we don't achieve things and our recovery takes longer then i think that there can be definitely implied criticism. So that's just what a person needs when trying their best to get well. Health is a very complex set of variables and just one thing (BP) can affect everything.

I think that it is really unhelpful the implied criticism of your manager 'your recovery is taking some time'. I know it is nothing personal to you and they have boxes to tick, but still... I think that the workplace culture has become much harsher in general, you are a valuable member of society. You are so right when you say it is shortsighted. Can you get signed of sick for a few weeks so you have time to deal with this BP business? Don't worry about falsely perceiving that you are letting your company down. Clearly they are thinking of the company not your welfare. Your health is much much more important. I know that this is easier said than done.

I think that what you have achieved is amazing.

Warmest wishes. x
 
Me too.:yes:
Hope your weekend is relaxing and easy does it.:roseshwr:
 
Hope today is a good one for you @SurreyGirl
Wishing you a lovely weekend too. Is been a rough few days for you.
I hope things have settled and you're getting some restorative rest.
Hugs
 
Hi everyone! Fingers crossed things have settled down somewhat and I have a very busy three weeks coming up.. it calms down a bit November/December.
I am now finding getting in and out of the Miata/Mazda much easier now and the driving is ok provided it is not too stop-start as it is a manual. The nice people in Security are going to get me a parking pass for a month allowing me to park in the wider spaces so opening the car door right out (essential) will be easier. There are some people who understand... Have a nice weekend! Will catch up on the forum later when a bit less busy.
 
:driver:SurreyGirl is driving her cute little sports car and looking Good doing it.
Onward and upward...my hippy pal.:egypdance:
 
Love that Gif @Mojo333

I Survived a week at work apart from “NOsebleed Monday” and not too bad. Have now done the commute twice and hip holding up reasonably well considering. A few bits of pulling from the one naughty muscle but ok. But I am hating that journey more and more. An hour to do 10 miles is crazy...

On the way home with a clearer road I revved the nuts off my nearly 14 year old to clear out the carburettor as the petrol was old and mucky. “Kill or cure” but it worked...

gP has me monitoring the blood pressure and on min dose of pills to treat it. So far a bit raised but much better.

A few frowns at work when I plonked my ice pack in the communal fridge amongst 20 plus personally labelled milk bottles put there by the likes of HR and marketing! Reminds me of flat Sharing in the old days... They are also having to get used to my crutch clicking its way along the floor as I walk around every hour! My boss said she heard me coming!

On the plus side there are some new friendly people around with good senses of humour and I am making friends...

On the negative side, everyone appears to have a Lurgy..... lots of sniffling. Time to boost my C, D and Zinc levels..

Might put a mini fridge on my Christmas Wish list. :-) no doubt it would have to be PAT tested!

I have an interesting and very busy three weeks coming up. More on this later. And an appt coming up with the same OH lady I saw one month ago...she was an ortheopedic nurse - useful.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and thanks so much for the support last week.both privately and publicly..I really appreciated it.
 
Super happy to hear you are managing it all.
Hope you get the chance to just chill this weekend.
I am a fan of upping vitamin C and other supplements to keep me healthy w:loveshwr:hen the general public is dragging in their bugs all around me.
Don't think any of your aforementioned supplements are an issue, but do take care to make sure you don't take anything that will interfere with your bp meds.
Some can.
Have a happy weekend, @SurreyGirl
 
@SurreyGirl

I think that part of the problem with your workmates is that unless one has experienced a problem one cannot comprehend how hard the said problem can be. Mostly this is just ignorance not malice.

I know i have been unwittingly guilty of this myself. For example, many years ago i was trying to arrange a hotel for a group of friends and thought i had found the 'perfect hotel'. One friend, quite rightly, got really cross with me and said "you do know i can't walk that far from the train station"? Well i had forgotten as she could walk, but, crucially, i had forgotten not far. She was a bigger person than me and forgave me as i realized immediately what she meant and i was very sorry. So why am i saying all this? I suspect that your colleagues are busy with their own lives, they see you back at work and are not able to see how hard returning to work is for you. Your recovery is what it is, as i mentioned in a previous post, I believe way too much expectations on what we should be achieving. Because my husband can see me pottering about he is already slacking off on his attention to me. On one level i don't want a slave but on another...

We all need validation for our struggles, that is not the same as pandering to victim hood, but an honest acknowledgement of ones experiences. I get the impression that your colleagues don't have the slightest clue how much that you have achieved and the almost superhuman effort it must take to get to work when not on top form. With all this you have maintained a fantastic sense of humour and write with wit and compassion. You also give so much hope to your fellow hipsters, i have been lucky enough to have such support from you.

Apparently a really good thing to improve ones immunity are breathing exercises. This means that fresh oxygen is perfusing ones tissues. There are loads of different methods if you Google it. The main thing to remember is that the out breath should be longer than the inhale. So, for example, breathe in thru the nose for 3 and out thru the mouth for 4. I set a timer on my phone to go off every hour and i try and do some then, my reason was to try and calm my sympathetic system down, but, i read it can affect (positively) ones immune system too.

Hope your weekend is good, i love Saturdays as i go mad and get loads of papers, perfect excuse to do nothing.

x
 
@SurreyGirl
so pleased, that despite the nosebleed, your week ended up relatively ok. I agree with @Ginny12 that your colleagues probably just don't understand what you have been through and are still going through. Sod the frowns for the icepacks. They are just as important to you as the milk is to them, in fact, probably more important.

I know being back at work is still a bit of an issue, especially with the drive, but I think it will help you feel a bit more 'normal' once you settle back in properly.

Good news that the BP tablets seem to be working too.

Have a great weekend
 
@SurreyGirl so glad to read things have calmed down with the BP. Hopefully just a temporary issue, but it's good you are now monitoring this regularly. Have a great weekend!
 
Hey there, @SurreyGirl. So glad to hear that you survived work last week and that other than the problem on Monday, and the ongoing annoyance of some less than sympathetic colleagues, it wasn't that bad. I agree with others that the lack of understanding is probably, in most case, just the general oblivion of folks who are busy, focused on their own lives and issues, and generally clueless about what other folks are going through. I think your response is just to smile through gritted teeth, but do what you need to do to make work possible (i.e., the ice packs, the use of a cane or walking stick, regular breaks to get up and stretch, whatever you need), and realize that you are moving ahead and that all that really matters is for you to focus on the future and your own healing, both hip and BP wise! Congrats on making a few new friends at work who've been friendly and understanding. Those folks are worth their weight in gold! Have a good weekend.
 
A few bits of pulling from the one naughty muscle but ok

I’ll chalk it up to my Neanderthal male brain but that sentence made me do a double take!
:rotfl:

14 year old to clear out the carburettor

Your car is only 14 years old and has a carburetor?

Glad your blood pressure issues seem to be better. I’ll be returning to work soon too. Have a good weekend @SurreyGirl
 
Practising the violin this evening ..... rock musical! Bring it on....”FEEEEEED MEEEEEE”!
 
Ha, ha, @SurreyGirl and @bickypeg --I must be tired this evening. I read "FEEEED MEEEE..." as "FEEEEEL MEE..." and immediately thought, "Dang it, The Who's rock musical, "Tommy"--ugh". My ex-husband loved that and played it over and over and over again. I am sure it's a fabulous musical but I got horrendously sick of it. Same with James Taylor, whose lyrics and whiny voice (yes, I know, it's probably a very pleasant voice..) sound like fingernails on a blackboard at this point in time. Anyway, I agree with @bickypeg, definitely "Little Shop of Horrors". A fun show.
 
I can’t wait! I hear the cast are excellent and we will be able to see the show as no Pit.

Will do a blog on this if funny enough. In the meantime, taking the BP pills and hoping for the best :-)
 
Feed Me, Seymour...lol
Might be an analogy for my dear husband's life first month post op.
Trying to do normal life activities when all the while there is a needy potted plant at home requiring his time and attention!
 
Back
Top Bottom