Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Thank you. I have to say, after a rather rough ride with the nhs ward immediately after the op they more than made up for it this time. I could not have had better treatment.

A couple of the nice healthcare assistants who were taking my bp were previously on the ward where I recovered from the hip op. Located just around the corner from where I was admitted on Sunday. I knew them by name as soon as they came in and they were really pleased I remembered them.

All a bit surreal.
 
@SurreyGirl

I have just read your thread about the nosebleeds. I am so sorry you really don't need or deserve this drama!!!!

I also saw your lovely photo, you look so pretty and young. I hope things settle down soon health wise.

Warmest regards
 
Best of luck for your GP visit. With the time diffence, it may already be over.
I hope you get some answers.
Hugs and warm wishes for a great rest of the day!
@SurreyGirl
 
You are all so lovely… I am working from home today having gone back to work full-time yesterday - that wasn't easy.. Seeing GP in about 2 hours time.
Just to amuse everyone, I had a long-standing opticians appt and had to warn them about placing the frames on my nose as they were testing the eyesight. They were very careful as I was paranoid I would get another bleed. So far so good. I am drinking coffee very tepid and sticking to cold/lukewarm foods and digging out my scarf to wrap around outside so I don't get extreme temperatures. To date the hip is behaving itself - I am saying this quietly!!
 
@Apricot I might have to put my plans for resuming scuba diving in the New Year on hold as will need a medical to dive if there is a BP problem.. oh well, will just have to lie on the beach instead. Have just ordered prescription Raybans so that I can do exactly that :-)
 
Ha! I just need to lose about 3 stone so that they are a bit more prominent.. Hamster cheeks at the moment xxx

btw, which part of the uk are you in? Just wondered how the NHS where you are compared to mine?
 
Good morning, @SurreyGirl. Just shooting you a quick note before I scoot off to get dressed and out of the house by 9:00 AM here in the PNW. Cleaning lady coming today so my husband and I are heading to the gym. I hope yesterday's work from home, although not fun, wasn't too tiring, and that the GP appointment today is helpful and addresses this troubling blood pressure issue. Good to hear that the hip hasn't been acting up--that is a small grace given all the other stuff you're dealing with! Take care.
 
@SurreyGirl

I live in Lewes, East Sussex. The NHS is very good here. I went private because i wanted a specific surgeon (Mr Apthorp) and he is cutting down on his NHS pts before retirement. I would have had to wait till at least spring 2019 to get him and i had deteriorated so much that i did not think time was on my side. My mother-in-law saw how i was struggling and paid for the op. I must stress (as i am sure you know) that there is no difference between NHS and private care, only with private one can pick the surgeon and time. I know that i am extremely lucky to have had this opportunity. I am massively grateful that we have the NHS.

If you ever need surgery again (hopefully not) i could not recommend him highly enough. He does about 600 hip surgeries a year. Most hips on the joint registar. He only does hips and apparently it was he who introduced the enhanced hip recovery protocol to the UK.

As for this weight business you looked like you were just right in your photo. However, if you do want to lose weight without cutting down on food have you heard of a very gentle form of intermittent fasting? Basically one eats in a 12 hour window. So for example, if you have your breakfast at 07.30am, then you must not eat after 7.30pm. The theory behind it is that it gives your body time to digest food more efficiently but the beauty of it is that one can eat normally in the 12 hour window. Now i must stress that i am not a nutritionist so probably best to check with your GP but it does seem to work for many people. You may recall Dr Michael Mosley doing a telly program about it a few years ago.

Warmest wishes x
 
Hi Ginny. Love Lewes! Did a few music jobs for Heber Opera back in the day!

The diet advice you have is sound but the 19:30 window won’t work for me as I would get too hungry trying to play a show. I need to keep the energy levels up. A full time job plus show plus travel time mounts up to a lot. Great fun but could sleep for a week afterwards!

Anyway better news today but will report back at weekend once things have settled down. Night!
 
Hi @SurreyGirl
Did the GP have a diagnosis for your nosebleeds today?
I hope so. That had to have been a rather frightening experience.
Hope you have a nice sleep tonight!
 
Oh wow @SurreyGirl im so sorry to read about your nosebleeds, blood pressure, hospitalization, etc! I was just popping in to check and saw this. I had never heard about cold foods and drinks, that's interesting. And such a shame it takes so long to see a GP there but you seem to have snagged an appointment quickly, thankfully. Would be curious to learn where the BP spiking came from. Best of luck dealing with it all and hoping it's resolved as quickly as it came on. I'd say anything to reduce stress would be the way to go right now. But probably not so far as another trip to the men's dancing club... :) Take care @SurreyGirl and try to get good sleep!
 
@SurreyGirl

I am glad that you indicated in your last post things are on the up. I am routing for you big time. x
 
Hope you're doing better every day, @SurreyGirl. Getting over the whole high blood pressure/nosebleed issue will be a big step so that you can refocus on your hip and moving forward. Seems like you said that your hip was doing relatively well, although when we have a health challenge so much of our focus is on that so we sometimes forget about or ignore the other things going on in our bodies. I would like to think today you're feeling positive and in control again, and that work isn't making you crazy, hips are still doing better and nosebleeds are over and done. Cheers!
 
@SurreyGirl just wondering how your GP appointment went yesterday? Hope it was not too stressful.
 
Hi everyone. gP was helpful and has given me a prescription for a blood pressure reducing pill which is the same as I got from the hospital in discharge. I have to go for blood tests and an ECG.

Just got back from a long day at work. Finally saw my boss. Asked if there was anyway I could work two days a week from home as it would make a huge difference. I worked from home on the phased return and it went well. However, now I am back to full time this has been refused. I can work one day as week from home.

At the return to work interview I got the usual “x returned after six weeks, your recovery is taking some time”.....well x got to hear about this after he gave me a huge hug to say welcome back! and said to my boss that he knew of two other people who had returned after six months and a year respectively...!

Drove in for the first time in the pouring rain and the journey took me an hour. Driving not too bad and getting in and out possible with care but the start stop traffic is horrendous.. Home now and very tired. Hip is hurting a bit so icing.

Hopefully once I get used to the routine things will get better.

Thanks for all your kind comments. It is really helpful to be able to talk through this with others going through the same thing.

I think I will probably be asleep by 9pm!
 
Sorry you're unable to get that extra day to work from home each week.
I pray that no serious issue is revealed through the ECG and blood work results. Hopefully you have the tests scheduled and get the results soon.
Wishing you some sound restorative sleep tonight!
@SurreyGirl
 
@SurreyGirl I'm so sorry you have a heartless employer. I went through the same experience post RTHR. They wanted me back at 4 weeks out and grumbled when I returned to the office at 6 weeks. NOT FAIR! Plus you have the added stress of your BP issues.

Get some rest tonight and please don't push through any of this return. Your health is a priority! Take care!
 
I don’t think it is heartless just misguided. I don’t think they realise that a small concession would make all the difference to me. But they reap what they sow!
 
Back
Top Bottom