THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Sheesh, @SurreyGirl. somehow I posted the same message twice above--not sure why, sometimes the forum isn't kindly to folks like me who are technical idiots. Hope you're having a good day. Promise to only post this once.
 
Hi there. Will post properly later but sometimes when editing and hitting post it wil glitch and print twice. Has happened to me too!
 
Good to know, @SurreyGirl, that others do silly things as well! Seems like I am constantly going back and editing my responses. I try to spell, punctuate properly and use reasonable grammar, but invariably something goes wrong when I use the keyboard. My mother used to be an English teacher and she was HARD on her kids so I'm usually very conscious of my writing and trying to sound like I have half a brain! My mother would have been horrified at texting and the sloppiness of it all.
 
I’m so glad to hear you are doing better and getting out more. I started outside PT last week and am a little bummed out that the PT doesn’t seem to listen to my real pain issue which is leg lifts. I really enjoy going through the gears on a stick shift car but don’t have one now. That’s OK because lifting my left leg is very painful. Really, that’s the only real pain issue for me now. Looking back, all my cars were stick shift until I got into trucks. I believe you all call them lorries over there? The PT said we would work on that later...
Anyway, I’ll reach out to the gang and admins. for any thoughts later on my own thread. Nostalgically speaking, I sure enjoyed driving the sticks in my former life. A MGB - you can appreciate those, VW bugs - three of them, a Mercedes sedan with the stick on the tree, and lastly, the classic Porsche 944...

Anyway, good luck and may peace be with you...

Sorry but, I found it funny that your hairdresser is named Harry. Harry the hairdresser! Haha
 
Hi @Wave Hog. Now don’t knock my Harry! He is a lovely man and he, my hair and I have been together for 15 years! He and hubby finally met when hubs came to collect me yesterday. It was quite funny as they know a lot about each other through me.....

A very impressive list of cars you listed there and yes the MGB is a fine car. Hubby used to have a Spitfire 1500 which leaked oil, blew gaskets and was unreliable. A bit like his wife ;-)

Joking aside - shame about your leg and hope you get some answers.

I will do a progress report tomorrow to “celebrate” my 3 month anniversary. The bottle of champagne, which should have been to celebrate my homecoming, is still in the fridge as I want to crack that open once I get rid of the crutches finally. Maybe next month!

Night!
 
Aww, you don't need to wait till you lose the crutches to pop a cork!
Crack it open to celebrate your new hip, your new hair, your return to work, because you're awesome, because it's Friday, because you're alive! There's another bottle at the store.
Hope you have a great weekend!
@SurreyGirl
 
I agree with @Layla, and you should definitely crack out the celebratory bottle and then just buy another (and another) so celebrate all the victories and milestones along the way, @SurreyGirl!
 
My physiotherapist noticed the new hair last week and was very complimentary. It does cheer one up.
After a heavy day at work yesterday I was shattered today so did a little walk and also the weekly shop with hubby. I timed the shop which took 45 mins plus 30 mins travel each way. That plus the walk meant quite a bit of time on my feet.

At the physio the other day I told her about the burning pain at the top of the incision. She had a good look. Most of the scar is fading to an attractive deep pink but at the top of the scar into the buttock it is more red and angry looking. However the burning sensation is less than last week so fingers crossed...

There was no swelling around the incision just in on it slightly raised. The Physio told me to keep an eye on it and to see a GP if the tearing/ burning pain got worse. She checked out some of my Rom and gait (all good) and then spent 20 minutes massaging the gluteus medius area and around the scar. It did feel better than last week afterwards and freer.

Advised to still stay on the crutch but to practise walking at home sans aids and also for short distances outside with a longer stride concentrating on heel toe but to STOP if I felt any signs of pulling no matter how slight.

Commuting to work I stop/start traffic and sitting at the computer is not helping much and I need to get up and walk and stretch more. Thinking of setting my mobile’s alarm to go off once an hour to make me do it! I need to find an appropriate alarm call....

I really need to get back to driving. Could try and get into and out of my car tomorrow but a bit worried I might pull at the very muscles I am trying to heal!

3 months anniversary coming up on Thursday..and a birthday celebration to organise.
 
Last edited:
Wow, @SurreyGirl, between a mostly sedentary job plus commuting, and the need to fit in shopping and a walk and all the rest on a regular basis, it's no wonder you are struggling a bit. I am such a loafer mostly and my husband is home enough that I can use him still for transportation. Although I've been cleared to drive "when I'm able", I am still feeling very skittish about that and haven't tried it yet. Sounds like you're getting good, practical suggestions from your physio regarding walking, less around the house with aids and perhaps more walking inside without aids, and I suspect, despite what must feel like molasses like recovery speed, you ARE moving in the right direction. Just take it slowly (yes, I know--easy for me to say) and one day at a time. Cheers. PS Setting an alarm on your phone or maybe your computer at work to remind you to get up and move more frequently sounds like a sensible idea to me.
 
Absolutely! I am tempted to set the “Dive Dive!” Submarine alarm just to make people jump. In reality it will probably be a gentle bell!

I know I am getting better, albeit slowly, and am now well aware of the perils of the ODIC but it is just frustrating getting on with everyday living..and what I am expected to achieve...
might try the bus this coming week but last time I tried it it was very bumpy and a 30 minute walk at the other end.
 
I think a zen tink would be a good one to wake everyone up.
Why not try driving the 'big car' first for a short way then work down to a long langurous Limbo to glide into your sporty one.:SUNsmile: Wishing you sunshine.
 
Hi, SurreyGirl,

The hourly reminder is exactly what I do to remind me to get up and stretch and move if sitting or slow down if out and about. You’d think that the geniuses at Apple would have that function built in to the iPhone but I suppose they have other challenges. I was able to download a free app. that does just that. A gentle ding on the hour and every hour from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM. For the first few weeks after surgery, I had it going around the clock to remind me to pump my ankles. If I was in a deep sleep, I wouldn’t hear it anyway so it was not a problem through the night. Plus, the pedometer app. is nice to keep track of steps and distances. For example, I see that I did about double what I usually do in a day yesterday and really feel ODIC this morning. I cleaned our swimming pool after the wind storm earlier in the week and things went well. Before surgery, it was just about impossible to do that chore and had to hire outside help. I told the pool man to take a break for a month until my next surgery as cleaning and vacuuming the pool is good exercise. Plus, we save money that we need to pay our medical insurance. Which, by the way is going from $1,284 a month to $1,488 next year for a family of three with the highest deductible available. This is just outrageous and our government really needs to do something. It’s no wonder more and more are going without insurance because the rate increases after Obama’s law are just unsustainable for folks above the poverty level. Illegal immigrants and vagrants get better medical care than tax paying citizens for crying out loud!
Well, moving on...It’s sunny and warm outside and if I feel better after RICE, I will try and mow the lawn. Another chore I couldn’t do before surgery and have to pay somebody...
Even if I still have pain lifting the leg, it will be great for my soul to be able to do those chores around the house.

Peace
 
Plus, we save money that we need to pay our medical insurance. Which, by the way is going from $1,284 a month to $1,488 next year for a family of three with the highest deductible available. This is just outrageous and our government really needs to do something. It’s no wonder more and more are going without insurance because the rate increases after Obama’s law are just unsustainable for folks above the poverty level...
Peace

Wow! That is a huge amount. Makes me very grateful for our poor old NHS!

Hope you leg pain gets better. I need to download the pedometer app to see how many steps I am doing. Agree about Apple missing the regular alarm setting.
 
Sorry to be a pain but have to tag @Josephine

The burning tearing pain is less now although still get some zaps around the top of the scar.

I still have some nasty muscle pain in my left backside that won’t go away (physio said gluteus medius) and need the crutch for walking although can do longer strides and 1/2 mile walks without problems. Am walking unaided at home on short flat distances and can do 10 mins before it starts to hurt

Have stopped the physio but get a massage once a week which helps but missed my slot this week.

Back to work 6 hours a day and full time next week. I can’t take any more time off and will be expected to be in the office rather than partly working from home which I do now.

Because I had some swelling I took 2 aspirins morning and 2 afternoon and paracetamol midday. With icing this all helped. The paracetamol alone doesn’t seem enough.

Yesterday however I had a severe nosebleed that took around 40 minutes to stop. I stopped all aspirin. And will go back to the 4000g paracetamol per day instead.

Taking my husband out today for a birthday treat and looking forward to it!

The hip is getting stronger but I feel I have reached a plateau. 3 month anniversary of hip op and feeling a bit low to be honest.

Advice gratefully received. Thanks!
 
Oh poor @Surreygirl.I do hope this is just a blip. I hope the nose bleed is just a coincidence. I took aspirin regularly 4 times a day pre op with paracetamol and found it more helpful for arthritic pain. Back on ibuprofen again now as so many doctors frown on aspirin although I don't find it as effective.(son tells me aspirin is used increasingly in cancer treatments. I'm sure it will come back into fashion one day) Another steroid injection? Or codeine or similar? No chance of you changing your job or your hours?
Sending loving thoughts. I'm sure @Josephine will help.:prayer:
 
Back
Top Bottom