THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Oh, @SurreyGirl, you and your husband sound like true "foodies" and organized foodies at that with the trip to the fish shop to buy fresh stuff to then freeze. I am horrible at planning out meals even before hip surgery. I would make up my mind the day of as to what we'd be having that night. I have a few recipes that my husband, fortunately, also likes but I made far too many trips to the grocery store during the week instead of planning out my recipes for the week or having a stocked freezer that would allow me to just pull something out. I used to work fulltime with four kids and I know I did a far better job then of planning out week's worth of menus and only hitting the grocery store once a week. Sigh, I have become such a disorganized fruitcake in my old age!

PS Swim suit? Ugh, probably my least favorite shopping excursion, right up there with bra shopping. Nothing makes one feel worse than standing in a miserable, poorly lit dressing room and trying on one hideous suit after another! I am pretty long waisted so they seldom fit and my days of two piece suits are long gone! But you are young and can aspire still to a swim suit!
 
I am 58 so not that young! . I am very big breasted rather “voluptuous” lady but fortunately I go to a specialist shop run by a lovely woman called Mabel who has never used a tape measure to my knowledge! She sizes me up and tells me my size and gets it spot on.

She goes to the storeroom and brings up a selection of bras. I then try on various makes and one type in particular fits very well, props me up in all the right places and makes me look as if I have dropped a dress size. Nice!

She has a sale of swimsuits in the winter so at that time of year I am A Very good customer. I have been going to her for over three years now.

Re the fish shop. We came back with four packets of scampi for the freezer, two packs of freshly smoked cods roe for making taramasalata, smoked mackerel for pate and salmon plus fresh scallops for tomorrow’s dinner. The shop is at Hove/Shoreham Harbour where fishing boats and trawlers pull up alongside. Rows of seagulls sit on the roof eyeing the ground for scraps. The shop also has lobster and crab tanks and is very popular with the local chinese community. Everything there is much fresher than one would get in a supermarket. It is a 40 minute journey each way but I stretched my legs walking along the seafront with the crutches for 15 mins. Not a great achievement but better than the last few days. Now in bed as tired and stretching my legs out which seems to help.

Your boys sound wonderful if tiring but great to have them around...
 
@Layla @Bionic @Barbaraj @1stSurgery

“”””Hi @Layla
I am sure you have the swimming costume spot on. The mermaid type skirt will be a lovely blue/green and shimmer in the water. It's what we all wear here of course”””” from Bionic

Indeed we do Layla - with optional fishy tails - of should that be fishy tale?!!

I remember borrowing my mother in laws precious sea green swimming costume and making a neck collar and girdle out of plastic green squares plus sequins to replicate one of the more respectable costumes from the film Barbarella. I did this as a “dare”- which I could not resist...

. The outfit took three weeks to make and involved me bribing my technicians’ dept. With cases of cider to drill all the holes needed in the squares which then took three Sunday afternoons for hubby and I, armed with restorative gin, to thread together and individually knot with kite string. A blonde Jane Fonda wig, green thigh high boots off ebay and a very large super squirt Toy gun completed the outfit and I won my bet.

Everyone else attending, including my husband, who made a homemade Tardis outfit, made a real effort and the party itself was incredible...the pictures look like something out of “Hello” magazine and it was a lot of fun! The debris of discarded bits of outfits the next morning around the resort’s pool told stories in themselves...
 
Ooh, @SurreyGirl, how nice to have a shop with someone who "gets" your body type and knows proper sizing. I've taken to ordering my bathing suits online (and believe me, they get so little use so I can go a LONG time between purchases!) And, sweetie, at 58 you are a youngster still!

Loved the great description of your Barbarella costume (fabulous!) and the grand party where you appeared--and won--the costume bet--good for you.
 
Yup, that was five years ago and I should have been at the 10th anniversary party last weekend but with a long haul flight involved and my current state not possible but will be going back there twice next year...so time to take my diet seriously...
 
Very sensible decision not to go the anniversary, @SurreyGirl, but you can still bask in your former glory which is worth a lot! And while I get you want to lose some weight, your first priority perhaps should be recovering from hip replacement surgery. Time enough for counting calories or whatever works for you after you're standing and walking tall. Eating as healthy as you can will probably stand you in good stead as you continue on with recovery, and you might even lose a few pounds along the way!
 
I lost a kilo which is neither here or there... I had been very successful last year using the dreaded Orlistat and have a lot of pills left. However for two reasons this would be dodgy right now:-

1) the pills affect adsorption of painkillers and

2) if I ate too much fat and the pills made me make a dash for it I would not be able to run fast enough!!
 
Orlistat? Is that a weight loss drug? Sounds like it's effective but definitely not something to be used now. I still think that as with hip surgery recovery, slow and steady will be effective with weight loss, too. If you've already lost a kilo, you are clearly doing something right! Keep doing that. Good food, some exercise and a positive attitude, all necessary for overall good health and all you should be focusing on right now.
 
Yes you are right @Barbaraj it is just I would like to get the weight down to take the pressure off the new hip. But will all come in time.

I read a recent repost of someone who said they were very lucky as “their scar seemed no more than a cat scratch”.... all I can say is that I must have been scratched by a large Tiger!

Ah well, another Monday and work to do!
 
Rather have those than that horrid OA pain, for sure.
You have been doing very well for not even three months out!
Hope your week is sweet!
 
@Mojo333 I am massaging the tiger stripe now using E45 cream and this helps.

Going into work tomorrow by taxi which will cost half my days wages but then onto the hairdresser for the first time in 3 months.. Hair looking very grey at the top so needs sorting… even Hubby noticed it…

Getting back into the swing of work gradually and answering lots of emails. It seems a lot of people were hanging on until I got back so suddenly the volume has increased somewhat.. At least my emails are now making more sense!

Weather was not good today so took regular breaks from the computer and walked up and down concentrating on heel/toe whilst listening to the radio (working from home). Stopped when the familiar ache started up but (saying this quietly) not so much burning pain. Icing when sitting down. So far so good.

Physio on Thursday and will ask her to just check my walking, have a look at hiking stick v walking stick and then some more massage.. I don't really want any more exercises at this stage… Bridging was mentioned and I am not keen! Three month anniversary coming up in 1.5 weeks time and taking hubs out for his birthday to celebrate…. More of this later!
 
ALERT
:bignono:
Don't Bridge yet especially if you don't have a very firm exercise table to do them on. You could of course try the kitchen table top with a pilates mat on it. Wait longer. My Pilates teacher wouldn't consider bridges or clams for me for quite a while yet - there's a big impact on the Glutes and buttocks.

My hospital exercises included bridging but I had the most awful pain in the wound and buttock when I tried so stopped. I've been used to doing both exercises in past times so knew it was a bad idea. Its possible some of my buttock issues relate to the few times I tried Bridges post surgery.
 
My PT last week (and I am 8 weeks out) wanted me to bridge. He wanted me to do my pilates ab work as well.
 
Hope you and your husband have a great birthday dinner, @SurreyGirl! Nothing like getting out of the house for a celebration involving food you don't have to prepare yourself and presumably a few adult beverages. Cheers!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom